none
After locking the "user profile" trying to access it fails RRS feed

• Question

• Today I had to re-format two more machines for a problem that intermittently haunts my steady state builds.  I am using XP Pro (with all the updates) and the latest version of steady state (2.5).  The error message is "Can't copy file c:\documents and settings\cafeuser.orig\local settings\temporary internet files\content.IE5 and then a long file name like ahdslkdsijdaiaksjadaoSKD][POLA][prowefsd,cvsdkcvms,DLd.;'ldfcs;d.cv;s./pocmladc.  A timer runs on this message window and then XP recovers you into a newly created user profile (without all your desired programs, of course).

I'm starting to wonder if this is due to my choice in the main "set computer restrictions" page where I choose "prevent user from creating files and folders on C".  However, since I have always set it this way, but the problem is intermittent, perhaps not.  Is it safe to allow users to create files on "C" since that is really in the SS cache? (or is it?).

I test everything before doing a final Cclean and defrag (and also after) locking steady state.

One thing for sure, once steady state is installed if anything goes wrong the only thing you can do is reformat and start all over (it just isn't possible to un-install SS or clean it up once something goes wrong).

signed fustrated in WI
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 12:36 AM

Answers

• We occasionally see this with locked profiles. When a profile is locked, Windows copies the original profile directory (often c:\users\user.orig) to a temporary location (often c:\users\user).  During the user's session, changes the user makes are written to this temporary location. When the user logs off, Windows deletes the temporary profile, thus cleaning up his changes.

When you see the warning about filenames being too long when the locked user logs in, the problem is usually that temporary internet files created by Internet Explorer exceed the default 260 character path length limit, so Windows encounters an error when it tries to copy these files to the temporary location.  It's possible that other applications could create long filenames/paths that cause similar problems.

This issue can be solved by unlocking the profile, logging in as the restricted user, then emptying the user's temporary internet files in Internet Explorer.  Then log off, log on as the Administrator again, and re-lock the user's profile.

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Monday, January 18, 2010 7:54 AM

All replies

• We occasionally see this with locked profiles. When a profile is locked, Windows copies the original profile directory (often c:\users\user.orig) to a temporary location (often c:\users\user).  During the user's session, changes the user makes are written to this temporary location. When the user logs off, Windows deletes the temporary profile, thus cleaning up his changes.

When you see the warning about filenames being too long when the locked user logs in, the problem is usually that temporary internet files created by Internet Explorer exceed the default 260 character path length limit, so Windows encounters an error when it tries to copy these files to the temporary location.  It's possible that other applications could create long filenames/paths that cause similar problems.

This issue can be solved by unlocking the profile, logging in as the restricted user, then emptying the user's temporary internet files in Internet Explorer.  Then log off, log on as the Administrator again, and re-lock the user's profile.

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Monday, January 18, 2010 7:54 AM
  • Before I lock steady state I run Cclean, cleaning out all internet tmp files, so I don't understand how the problem can be there.  But, more importantly, it is SO VERY hard to get steady state unlocked or even out of the way to any extent that I always end up wiping the disk and starting over.

Exteme example -- I wanted to try your suggested repair so I un-locked the user profile (I still couldn't make permanent changes to the user desktop).  So I turned off everything in SS (including HDU cache) - still can change anything.  So I un-installed SS -- still can't change anything.  It is so tightly locked that nothing but reformatting gives me the ability to change the user desktop.

I was able to avoid the initial trouble by not testing IE8 on the user desktop until after SS is locked.  Of course doing so creates a new problem - IE8 brings in the initial set up screen and the window opens small (all of which are permanently that way, dispite un-locking, removing all settings or even un-installing SS)

It works great if you get the first build pass perfect, but if anything has to be changed (even just a minor thing like the wallpaper) it is IMPOSSIBLE.

Thanks for all your help,
    Mike

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 2:48 PM