none
SharePoint 2013: The Security Token Service is not available.

Question

• I am getting these errors on one of my servers and it appears that sharepoint pages are failing constantly to display.

Server Error:

Affected Endpoint: http://internal-server:32843/3c5d7aeae8d2496ba39ee3b49a543cfb/SearchService.svcAn exception occurred when trying to issue security token: There was no endpoint listening at http://localhost:32843/SecurityTokenServiceApplication/securitytoken.svc/actas that could accept the message. This is often caused by an incorrect address or SOAP action. See InnerException, if present, for more details..

Central Admin:

Title: The Security Token Service is not available.  
    Severity: 2 - Warning  
    Category: Availability  
    Explanation: The Security Token Service is not issuing tokens. The service could be malfunctioning or in a bad state.
    Remedy Administrator should try to restart the Security Token Service on the boxes where it is not issuing tokens. If problem persists, further troubleshooting may be available in the KB article. For more information about this rule, see "http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=160531".
    Failing Servers - CHHS-SP4
    Failing Services - SPSecurityTokenService (SecurityTokenService)

-------------------------

I tried recycling the Security Token and no luck. I Also,  I tried the following https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/hh564112.aspx

Microsoft manager to programmer: You start coding. I'll go find out what they want ...

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 11:06 PM

Answers

• Check out these troubleshooting guides:

The Security Token Service is not available (SharePoint 2013)

SharePoint 2010: Nailing the error "The Security Token Service is unavailable" (applies to 2013 as well)

Edit: Sorry, I see you linked to the first guide.
    • Edited by Jason Warren Wednesday, April 12, 2017 11:14 PM edit
    • Marked as answer by esteban2800 Friday, April 14, 2017 7:04 PM
    Wednesday, April 12, 2017 11:13 PM
  • Thank you. I have 4 servers on my SharePoint. I think this issue is coming out of the 4th server because it is displaying error on the security token service. I took it out of the rotation web pool to work on it. 

Microsoft manager to programmer: You start coding. I'll go find out what they want ...

Thursday, April 13, 2017 3:54 PM

SharePoint 2010: Nailing the error "The Security Token Service is unavailable" (applies to 2013 as well)

Thank you. I have 4 servers on my SharePoint. I think this issue is coming out of the 4th server because it is displaying error on the security token service. I took it out of the rotation web pool to work on it. 

• Hi esteban,

Did you solve this issue? If yes, you can mark the reply that helps you as answer.

If not, please feel free to reply your result.

Thanks,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, April 14, 2017 5:58 AM
  • Hi esteban,

Did you solve this issue? If yes, you can mark the reply that helps you as answer.

Thanks,

Wendy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

No, I have not. I tried everything in the article and the error is still there

Friday, April 14, 2017 6:49 PM
  • Hi esteban,

Thanks,

Wendy

Never mind. I just figured it out. I compared it with another server and I had a setting misconfigured in the SecurityTokenServiceApplicationPool

Friday, April 14, 2017 7:04 PM
  • Never mind. I just figured it out. I compared it with another server and I had a setting misconfigured in the SecurityTokenServiceApplicationPool. I have 4 web servers and I overlooked my settings.

• Marked as answer by esteban2800 Wednesday, April 26, 2017 4:00 PM
    Friday, April 14, 2017 7:05 PM
  • you have to set these up manually on both machines and make sure your service has been turned on DEFAULT by windows is OFF look in your services see if it is running if not turn it on then try if you get the same result you need to check the other machine for the same  
    Friday, April 14, 2017 7:23 PM

All replies

• Edited by Jason Warren Wednesday, April 12, 2017 11:14 PM edit
    Wednesday, April 12, 2017 11:13 PM
  • Thank you. I have 4 servers on my SharePoint. I think this issue is coming out of the 4th server because it is displaying error on the security token service. I took it out of the rotation web pool to work on it. 

Thank you. I have 4 servers on my SharePoint. I think this issue is coming out of the 4th server because it is displaying error on the security token service. I took it out of the rotation web pool to work on it. 

• Hi esteban,

Thanks,

Wendy

Friday, April 14, 2017 5:58 AM
  • Hi esteban,

Thanks,

Wendy

No, I have not. I tried everything in the article and the error is still there

Friday, April 14, 2017 6:49 PM
  • Hi esteban,

Thanks,

Wendy

Never mind. I just figured it out. I compared it with another server and I had a setting misconfigured in the SecurityTokenServiceApplicationPool

Friday, April 14, 2017 7:04 PM
  • Never mind. I just figured it out. I compared it with another server and I had a setting misconfigured in the SecurityTokenServiceApplicationPool. I have 4 web servers and I overlooked my settings.

Friday, April 14, 2017 7:05 PM
  • you have to set these up manually on both machines and make sure your service has been turned on DEFAULT by windows is OFF look in your services see if it is running if not turn it on then try if you get the same result you need to check the other machine for the same  
    Friday, April 14, 2017 7:23 PM