Questions about upgrading from Win 10 Pro 1511 to 1709 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. First time poster. Hope you can help

I'm struggling with upgrading to Windows 10 Pro 1709 and hope you can help. I've got it working in a fashion but just wanted to make sure I'm doing it right.

I work in an organization where most computers are Windows 10 Pro. ranging from Build 1507 to 1709. We want to get the oldest builds up to 1709 using WSUS. We've got some Windows 7 Pro machines but they're going to be replaced soon, so I don't need to worry about them.  We're using WSUS 6.2.9200 on Win Server 2012, btw

Here's what I've done so far :

1) Tried to work out which Products / Classifications I need to sync
    All the posts I read seem to point back to a urtech.ca site for an explanation of the different classifications (Sorry, can't post a link, not verified yet)

Probably just me but I still wasn't any clearer after reading that

After trial and error downloading allsorts in the end I've gone for just
    Products : Windows 10
    Classifications : Upgrades

Is that correct or should I be choosing other options ?

2) Put a couple of Win 10 Pro. 1511 computers into a test group in WSUS

3) Checked what upgrades have been synced

Amongst a load of other updates for Win 10 Education,Enterprise, Retail versions and en-us versions that I'm not bothered about I've got the following :

Feature update to Windows 10 Pro, version 1607, en-gb
    Feature update to Windows 10 Pro, version 1703, en-gb
    Feature update to Windows 10 Pro, version 1703, en-gb (Appears twice. Identical except the Update ID)
    Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709, en-gb
    Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709, en-gb (Appears twice. Identical except the Update ID)

4) Approved one instance of Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709, en-gb for my 2 test PCs. Took ages but seemed to work fine on 1 PC. User logged back in, profile is OK, everything working fine. The other PC said it didn't need that update, but did need the other instance of Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709, en-gb. (?) I've just approved the second instance for the second PC to see what happens

Couple of questions

The feature update for versions prior to 1709 always specified "Feature update to Windows 10 Pro, version xxxx", or Enterprise, Education or whatever. 1709 doesn't specify Windows 10 Pro (or any other version), just Windows 10. Is this expected, has something changed ?. The test PC I upgraded still shows as Windows 10 Pro

Also, I don't understand why I seem to have duplicate entries for some of the feature updates. 1 of my test PCs showed as needing 1 instance of "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709, en-gb" the other needed the other instance

Hope you can help

Thanks

Thursday, January 18, 2018 9:44 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

Thanks for your posting!

There are only two Windows 10 1709 feature update, the difference is shown in below picture:

Reference: 

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/2017/10/13/windows-10-version-1709-coming-soon/.

If your clients need different update, this may caused by their OS version. 

Regards,

Yan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by JanglyPop Monday, January 22, 2018 11:56 AM
    Monday, January 22, 2018 9:04 AM
  • Thanks for your reply Yan. That explains it

Also, it looks like Microsoft released Feature Update to Windows 10 (business editions), version 1709, en-gb and Feature Update to Windows 10 (consumer editions), version 1709, en-gb which superseeds the previous updates on 18th Jan 2018. So it looks like they've changed their mind about the naming convention again

Monday, January 22, 2018 11:56 AM
  • Your WSUS (Server 2012 R2) Server is set up. After my Server is set up, Windows10 Pro can see the download to 1709, but the installation fails.Prompt error:0X8000FFFF.

Can you give me some advice?
    • Edited by Robert.zhu Friday, January 26, 2018 3:09 AM
    Friday, January 26, 2018 3:04 AM
  • We had the same issue. the fix is that you have to download the Old Windows 1709 feature update KB3012973 (the one before Microsoft started the Business Edition and Consumer Edition separation.) You should see that update marked as superseded in WSUS and SCCM SUP against the business edition 1709 update KB3012973, but if you look closely that update would have the same number of "required" count as the 1511 and 1507 systems on your network. 

So make sure that you've added it to the software update package and software update group you are using to push 1709 business edition update and rerun the update scan on client systems. if they still fail to find this update then rename softwaredistribution folder and re run the update scan. your 1511 and 1507 systems should immidiatly show the update in software center. 

Regards Bhushan Kelkar

Monday, May 28, 2018 10:18 AM