none
Project Professional 2010 Synchronization with SharePoint 2010 - Lookup columns RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys, I have a problem synching lookup columns within a SharePoint 2010 Task list with Microsoft Project Professional 2010.

After opening the Task list in Project Professional, there is just the standard set of columns available - like Predecessor, Name, Start Date, Duration etc. I can include additional columns from the SharePoint Task list into the Project file via the "Manage Fields" menu. However, there is no option to select the  lookup column to get the short name of the project the task is associated with.

Of course, I can manually include the project reference column and map it to Text3 or something like that, but when synchronizing back to SharePoint, MS Project creates an additional column named ProjectReference - now with the data type Text and not a lookup table any more.

The main problem is that the ProjectReference attribute in a Task is a mandatory field. That's why I can't sync back from Project to SharePoint.

Any suggestions how to completely include the lookup column in Project?

• Edited by MarcJe Friday, July 20, 2012 8:03 AM
    Tuesday, July 17, 2012 6:30 AM

Answers

• Thx for your reply. It seems that it's not possible to create lookup tables within Project Professional without Project Web App or Project Server though...
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 7:14 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you tried to make the Text3 field a lookup table. I am not that experienced with the sychronizing back to SharePoint but i might work?

With Kind Regards,

Robin Kruithof

Technical Consultant EPM

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 1:19 PM
  • Hey Robin,

do you mean a lookup table in MS Project? It is a lookup field in SharePoint and I get the information from the field into a text field in MS Project. (in my case an numeric ID). However, I can't sync back to SharePoint...

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 2:08 PM
  • Any more ideas? Maybe I will ask again in the SharePoint General Q/A - or is it possible to move this thread?
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 7:32 AM
  • Hi,

Yeah i ment to make the MS Project field Text3 a lookup table. It then might be able to sync back. 

Hope it helps.

With Kind Regards,

Robin Kruithof

Technical Consultant EPM

Thursday, July 19, 2012 6:20 AM
  • Thx for your reply. It seems that it's not possible to create lookup tables within Project Professional without Project Web App or Project Server though...
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 7:14 AM