none
User/device count is "0" under SQL server usage summary RRS feed

• Question

• I have ran the MAP toolkit and it has discovered all of my servers and workstations, however under the SQL Server Usage Summary page, the count of user/device are listed as "0" for each server.  It has been "checkmarked" in the "configure combined products" window to search for this.  I have included the domain credentials in the previous to starting the scan.

Is there something I am missing?    Thank you in advance.

Thursday, January 26, 2012 9:14 PM

Answers

• Did you enable logging as per the directions in the Getting Started Guide? Did you export those logs and parse them with MAP?
    Usage tracking can be a long process for software like SQL Server. Once you enable the logging, you have to wait for the logs to be populated with data. MAP recommends 90 days, but it can be any duration that you want and makes sense for your needs. More details are available in Section 1 of the Getting Started Guide.
    A couple of things to keep in mind:
    1. Vista and Server 2008 introduced the .evtx log file. If MAP is installed on a machine with an OS that is older than Vista or Server 2008, then it will not be able to read those logs.
    2. The audit event that MAP needs to parse was introduced in SQL Server 2008. Therefore usage tracking is available in newer version and not available in previous versions of SQL Server.
    3. Furthermore, the audit event is only in the Enterprise and Datacenter editions.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 10:51 PM

All replies

• Did you enable logging as per the directions in the Getting Started Guide? Did you export those logs and parse them with MAP?
    Usage tracking can be a long process for software like SQL Server. Once you enable the logging, you have to wait for the logs to be populated with data. MAP recommends 90 days, but it can be any duration that you want and makes sense for your needs. More details are available in Section 1 of the Getting Started Guide.
    A couple of things to keep in mind:
    1. Vista and Server 2008 introduced the .evtx log file. If MAP is installed on a machine with an OS that is older than Vista or Server 2008, then it will not be able to read those logs.
    2. The audit event that MAP needs to parse was introduced in SQL Server 2008. Therefore usage tracking is available in newer version and not available in previous versions of SQL Server.
    3. Furthermore, the audit event is only in the Enterprise and Datacenter editions.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 10:51 PM
  • Ah, only in Enterprise and only in SQL 2008.  That makes sense for half of them.  Logging, I knew there was something else I was forgetting to enable.  Thank you, Michael!
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 11:11 PM
  • Sorry, I made a mistake. The event was introduced in SQL Server 2008. So it is avaiable in any version that is newer as well.
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 11:25 PM