SCCM 2012 SP1 App-V 5 Application Delivery RRS feed

• Question

• I am moving from an app-v 4.6 sp1 full infrastructure to App-V 5 integrated with SCCM 2012 SP1.  With 4.6 I am used to having the applications delivered to the users as they are logged into the machine.  With App-V 5 and SCCM 2012 SP1 I am having issues with applications being delivered as users are logging into their workstations.  For my deployment, I have my application deployed to a User Group collection.  The deployment properties of the applications are set to required.  When the user logs into the workstation they wait up to 10 minutes for the applications to install.  Is there a way to make this process a lot quicker?  I still need to have our applications follow our users versus deploying the app-v applications to the machines.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Brian<script id="ncoEventScript" type="text/javascript">function DOMContentLoaded(browserID, tabId, isTop, url) { var object = document.getElementById("cosymantecnisbfw"); if(null != object) { object.DOMContentLoaded(browserID, tabId, isTop, url);} }; function Nav(BrowserID, TabID, isTop, isBool, url) { var object = document.getElementById("cosymantecnisbfw"); if(null != object) object.Nav(BrowserID, TabID, isTop, isBool, url); }; function NavigateComplete(BrowserID, TabID, isTop, url) { var object = document.getElementById("cosymantecnisbfw"); if(null != object) object.NavigateComplete(BrowserID, TabID, isTop, url); } function Submit(browserID, tabID, target, url) { var object = document.getElementById("cosymantecnisbfw"); if(null != object) object.Submit(browserID, tabID, target, url); }; </script>

Brian

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 7:43 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Well, I can't really say that anyone ever stated that SCCM should be able to replace the full-infrastructure and just mimic its behavior 1-1.

It has however gone a long way to improve in the areas where it has been weak, however there are always more areas that it still can improve.

As far as I can tell the 10 minute wait has more todo with the client receiving policies, than the actual publishing part of the applications. Is there a reason that your client waits 10 minutes before initiating the policy retrieval?

I would check out App-V 5.0 SP2 and whatever the supporting rls from SCCM 2012 is to support that before concluding wether it is not possible and also try to understand why a 10 minute occurs on your clients before receiving the policies.

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Friday, November 22, 2013 5:51 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    If you are using the concept of User Device Affinity you could set to pre-deploy the software to the machine (part of the deployment settings) which can deliver the software in advance.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 12:42 PM
  • Thank you Znack The problem is that the computers are shared and each user gets a different set of applications. I would hate to have to build out a full infrastructure environment again. If there is a way to get sccm to work like a full infrastructure and apps get delivered on logon i would appreciate it.

Brian

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 2:31 PM
  • Hello,
    If reviewing the logs, what part of the process adds-up to 10 minutes?

Receiving policies?

Processing policies?

Downloading the application?

Publishing application?

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 5:30 PM
  • On the client side it appears as if the sccm user policy is not executing when logging in. If the user manually executes application deployment evaluation and user policy retrieval the appv applications and virtual environment begins to install. If we do not execute the evaluations it takes up to 10 minutes for the apps to be delivered to the user. Correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that with SCCM Integration the applications are supposed to be streamed to the client as they are logged in just like my app-v 4.6 full infrastructure environment. Is this an un realistic expectation or do i need to go the route of implementing a full 5.0 infrastructure?

Brian

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 7:15 PM
  • Hello,

Well, I can't really say that anyone ever stated that SCCM should be able to replace the full-infrastructure and just mimic its behavior 1-1.

It has however gone a long way to improve in the areas where it has been weak, however there are always more areas that it still can improve.

As far as I can tell the 10 minute wait has more todo with the client receiving policies, than the actual publishing part of the applications. Is there a reason that your client waits 10 minutes before initiating the policy retrieval?

I would check out App-V 5.0 SP2 and whatever the supporting rls from SCCM 2012 is to support that before concluding wether it is not possible and also try to understand why a 10 minute occurs on your clients before receiving the policies.

Friday, November 22, 2013 5:51 PM
  • Hello,

As App-V 5.0 SP2 is released I would try that out, and I would also try it once its supported for SCCM 2012 to see if there is any improvement.

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 7:36 AM
  • Thanks Znack! I have been watching for SP2's release. For now i created a script to initiate the application policy retrieval to force the install of app-v apps on user log-in. Not the way i want it but it gives me more time until either a full 5 infrastructure is built or if this is "resolved" in a near future release.

Brian

Thursday, December 5, 2013 2:24 AM