Office 97 Install cause a desktop link problem RRS feed

• Question

• I recently installed an original Office 97 software on a new install of Windows 7 32 bit.  (I have a need for a few old Office licenses to be installed for legacy software purposes).  In two installations, immediately after I install Office 97, desktop shortcuts to internet links stopped working.  I purchased a copy of Office 2010 and tried that along with all of my standard software on a new Win 7 install and had no problems, so it points to Office 97.   The shortcuts bring up IE but do not fill in the address bar.  Has anyone seen this behavior with Office 97 or other software installs.  
    Thanks
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 7:00 PM

Answers

• According to the informations published on the Windows 7 Compatibility Center web site at the following address

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Search.aspx?l=en-us&type=Software&s=Office%2097&os=32-bit

Office 97 shouldn't be compatible with Windows 7, so it should be a compatibility issue.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award
    • Proposed as answer by DarienHawk67 Thursday, January 26, 2012 3:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ldib Thursday, January 26, 2012 6:05 PM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 11:56 PM
  • Amazingly, after I uninstalled Office 97, the problem was fixed.  In 10 years of using XP, uninstalling a program never fixed anything, especially after it spit all over the registry.  The question is, is it that easy to break Win 7?  Just because a program is not compatible, should Win 7 allow it to bring the whole house down?  Issue is solved

Thanks

Thursday, January 26, 2012 6:05 PM

All replies

• According to the informations published on the Windows 7 Compatibility Center web site at the following address

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Search.aspx?l=en-us&type=Software&s=Office%2097&os=32-bit

Office 97 shouldn't be compatible with Windows 7, so it should be a compatibility issue.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award
    • Proposed as answer by DarienHawk67 Thursday, January 26, 2012 3:37 AM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 11:56 PM
  • Amazingly, after I uninstalled Office 97, the problem was fixed.  In 10 years of using XP, uninstalling a program never fixed anything, especially after it spit all over the registry.  The question is, is it that easy to break Win 7?  Just because a program is not compatible, should Win 7 allow it to bring the whole house down?  Issue is solved

Thanks

Thursday, January 26, 2012 6:05 PM