none
I can't map a network drive from Windows 7, using the exact same settings that work fine with Vista or XP

Question

• I have Windows 7  64 bit Home Premium,and I can't map a network drive.  I use a Cisco VPN client to connect to my University network, and then when I go to map the drive I get a message that it can't be found.  I have done web research it seems that I am unable to edit the local security settings (apparently you can do this in Ultimate and Professional versions), and that this may be the culprit.  Does Microsoft make some patch available?  My IT people, and the tech help at HP are baffled by this.  If Windows 7 Home Premium does not allow for mapping of network drives, then I'm dumping it and returning to Vista.  Has anybody had similar problems?
    Monday, October 26, 2009 8:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Dshare,

Welcome to Microsoft Answers Community Forums!

Unfortunately this feature is not available in Windows 7 Home Premium but it is available in the higher versions of Windows 7 Operating System.

To know about the features present in the all the editions of Windows 7 Operating system visit the following link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare

Let me know if this helped.

Regards:

Divya R - Microsoft Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 8:57 PM
  • Divya,

Yes, this helped, but I'm stunned that you would not include the ability to map a network drive in Home Premium.  Can you be sure that if I upgrade to the next level of Windows 7 that I can in fact map a network drive?  Microsoft should make it clearer in their infomration about each version of Windows that network drive mapping is not present some versions.  Quite a few people use these days.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 7:09 PM
  • Divya R.

I am trying to map to a network drive at \\10.86.245.254\conserver; I am able to do in Vista so I know the address and password are correct. The following is the procedure I follow;

In windows explorer I go to computer, there I choose map network drive; there I am asked for the  folder to map and I enter \\10.86.245.254\conserver that resides on a server running windows 2000 advanced server; This is the address I use with the vista machine on the same folder;

A small window comes up “Map Network Drive”  in that window is the message “Attempting to connect to” \\10.86.245.254\conserver

Another window opens titled: windows security in the window is this message; “enter network password” “enter your password to connect to: 10.86.245.254”

In the box also is “CLIFF-WIN-7-PC\cliff” below this is a box for my password which I enter; I then click ok and  the same box appears with this message at the bottom; “The specified network password is not correct” but it is the correct one, the one I use to map the drive on the Vista machine.

I then tried logging in using the “Use another account;” for user name I type in “cliff” which is what I use on the Vista machine; I then type my password the one I use on the vista machine; I click OK and get the same message; “The specified network password is not correct”

In the Other account box under the user name and password boxes it reads Domain: “CLIFF-WIN-7-PC”

If this is a feature not in Home Premium, can I map the drive if I upgrade to windows 7 Professional?  or will I have to upgrage to windows 7 Ultimate? 

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 4:46 AM
  • Dshare;

Did you find out if upgrading solved your problem?  I have the same problem. If it did what version did you upgrade to? 

He Is The Man
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 4:48 AM
  • I actually upgraded to Windows Professional, but the problem persists!  There is something different about the way that W7 handles user names and passwords that is fouling things up.  I've noticed a similar problem when I tried to connect to a university web server from within Frontpage 2003.  On my Vista machine, the connection works fine, but on the W7 64 bit machine I can't connect using the exact same settings! 

I'm still baffled.  Moreover, I suspect that the response from Divya above is actually wrong.  I think you can map a network drive from within W7 home premium--he was probably talking about joining a domain, which is evidently a different thing.

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 6:28 PM
  • Hi,

I kind of have the same problem you have. I have a Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit sharing one of its drives to the network. I'm trying to connect to it with the same operating system. (Win7 ultimate 64bit). When i connect just using the local network name of the host computer(like //Desktop/h), i can connect to the drive and everything works like a charm. But when i want to connect to it through the internet, it becomes a problem. I opened the correct ports, so i can connect (although it takes a while). Then it asks for credentials, i fill in the same as i did when connecting to the host via the network, and it doesn't accept it and prompts again. I wonder why this happens, i hope this topic will give some anwsers
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 11:08 AM
  • I have Windows 7 Premium 32 bit and have the same issue. I talked to Microsoft and after transferring to 9 different people no one could assist. I finally gave up on MS. Just like the commercials on TV.
    Friday, November 20, 2009 7:09 PM
  • I have done the same. I have Win7 professional, have unblocked the secure and unsecure ports for my network drive and for that IP address, and opened my my Local Security Policy for this. The login window appears, which means that Win7 has "seen" the network drive, but it will not accept my password, over and over. To me, this means that either I'm not seeing a security pop-up warning to clear, or Win7 still has the security cranked down so tight that it even overrdies my SSL login. I have looked the internet and kb in vain for an answer and even MS does not have an answer.
    Tuesday, December 08, 2009 6:14 PM
  • I FIXED IT. HERE IS THE SOLUTION. You must run Windows Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode to get a network drive mapped. First, check to see if your PC has Windows XP Mode installed. If not, go to the Microsoft Virtual PC page http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx and download the apps in the order specified. Then run your PC in Windows XP Mode. You can map a drive in 1 minute.

I am running Win7 Professional. What is missing from Windows 7 and that the tighter security can't get past is the pop-up you get when the NAME OF THE TARGET NETWORK DRIVE does not match the certificate offered. In XP you can click past the mismatched security certificate, accept it, ignore it, etc. Remember that window? In Win7, setting the local security policy and the LAN manager authentication level to send LM and NTLM responses does NOT send the responses, or you would get the pop-ups.

Until someone figures out how to make the security certificate popups re-appear in Win7, this at least gets us operating again!
    • Proposed as answer by MelanieWisc Wednesday, December 09, 2009 5:33 AM
    Wednesday, December 09, 2009 5:33 AM
  • I'm having the same problem too.  Ugh!

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 11:53 PM
  • Ok - I'm up and working now.

*. Upgrade to Professional to get the Security Policy editor:
                   http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprosecurity/thread/14fc5037-3386-4973-b5d8-2167272ff5ad

*. Do this magic:
                   Under local security policies, make sure under Local Policies à Security Options à Network Security:  LAN Manager Authentication level , that “Send LM & NTLM, use NTLMv2 session security is negotiated” is chosen

It's really lame of Microsoft to force an upgrade to Professional for
    cross domain drive mounts.
    • Proposed as answer by Win7Noobee Friday, January 15, 2010 5:08 PM
    Thursday, January 07, 2010 1:12 AM
  • The way I fixed it was this way. Sorry, my answer is worded for a NAS device but the trick would probbaly work for the orig poster:

To make things work, I had to trick windows into thinking that the two shares were on separate servers by adding an alias entry in the hosts file (system32/drivers/etc/hosts)

192.168.0.103 DNS323USERS

Then I mapped one share using \\192.168.0.103\Sync and the other using \\DNS323USERS\Users

The above worked. So much for a security policy!

Microsoft: Please dont fill the security hole! BTW, winXP works fine without this hack. Im going to guess its a bug in win7. This is a very common scenario for people using NAS devices which are getting more and more popular every day.

Friday, January 15, 2010 5:12 PM
  • i can map the network drive but i cannot login cos there is no option to bypass login domain name. so instead of having my username: xxx, i get mycomputername/xxx

how can win 7 home p not have this solved out. it is the most commonly used app for connecting to the school server. i want my stupid windows to work without having to trick it cos i have other things to spend time on........i lost enugh time with vista errors and bugs for an entire life (all along with win7 'please WORK COS I AM THE ADMINISTRATOR' tricks)

it is quite unbelievable that the answer to a problem like this could possible be: upgard. microsoft should make a STUDENT version of win to not be able to justify fuckups like this.

regards
    Hana
    Monday, January 18, 2010 4:32 PM
  • I was able to resolve my issue similarly by mapping the drive to \\IPADDRESS\folder.
    The drive will appear under my computer as a new drive.
    • Proposed as answer by timboagogo Wednesday, January 20, 2010 9:19 AM
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 9:18 AM
  • How do you get to the place to do the magic? Control Panel?
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 2:08 AM
  • I seem to be having the same problem.  In my case we have a Windows 7 Pro 64bit trying to connect to a share on a Windows 2000 professional machine.  Strange thing when I enter credentials for a user with domain admin right I receive an access denied message then a prompt again for credentials, if I use credentials local to the Windows 2000 machine it maps the drive but when I try to open it I receive an access denied message.  Tried the NTLMv2 thing that didn't work, group policy is not overwriting the setting; mapping with IP no go; adding hosts entry no go.  Also if I try to manage that machine i am able to connect to the machine via mmc but then receive access denied message when trying to view the shares.

Any ideas anyone?
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 7:39 PM
  • I have a similar problem.  I'm running a Win 7 Pro x64 system, and I am trying to run a program from a mapped network drive that used to work under Win XP pro.  I have set up XP Mode & VM, and it appears as if I have mapped the network drive (on a Win 2003 server), but when I try to run the program from that drive, the program tells me I am attempting to run the program from a UNC location, and that I need to install / run it from a physical drive or mapped network drive.  How do I map a network drive without using UNC parameters, i.e., \\Server\Folder?
    Friday, January 22, 2010 7:18 AM
  • Saturday, January 23, 2010 2:47 AM
  • It looks like the problem is that the username is being passed across as DOMAIN/user rather than just as user. I have not found a way to force it to drop the DOMAIN section, is this what altering the Local Security Policy does?

I have several XP boxes accessing my Samba shares no problem, but they only send user rather than DOMAIN/user when trying to authenticate and Login to the share.

This is causing a problem and may result in Windows 7 being dropped from my machines.
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 6:17 PM

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprosecurity/thread/14fc5037-3386-4973-b5d8-2167272ff5ad

*. Do this magic:
                   Under local security policies, make sure under Local Policies à Security Options à Network Security:  LAN Manager Authentication level , that “Send LM & NTLM, use NTLMv2 session security is negotiated” is chosen

THANK YOU!  I was trying to map a network printer from a new Windows 7 Professional machine (32-bit) to an older Windows 2000 w-SP4 machine.

Once I changed your little gem, it worked beautifully!  I also added an exception for the other machine's name under a setting below that - but it didn't work until I added your setting.  Not sure if it helped, but your setting did!

Thanks again!

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 6:32 PM
  • For win Home Users:

you can edit the registry yourself by doing this:

1) open Notepad:

2) copy this text and past in notepad:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]
    "lmcompatibilitylevel"=dword:00000002

3) save the file on your desktop (or anywhere else) as name.reg - ".reg" is important.

4) run the file and press yes on the 2 poppups.

Now it should be fixed.

Source: http://www.ntnu.no/itinfo/read_article.php?aid=711 (in Norwegian)
    • Proposed as answer by chakoshi Monday, February 01, 2010 11:31 AM
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 12:29 PM
  • Hi People,
    thanks a lot for this solution bombadi - I check on Win7 Home and it's work fine. After add this registry value - the network folders are visible and the passwords work !!!!  I hope that this reg changing don't change anything more.... :)
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 3:04 PM
  • solution by bombadi works great. thanks
    Monday, February 01, 2010 11:32 AM
  • I have a similar problem.  I'm running a Win 7 Pro x64 system, and I am trying to run a program from a mapped network drive that used to work under Win XP pro.  I have set up XP Mode & VM, and it appears as if I have mapped the network drive (on a Win 2003 server), but when I try to run the program from that drive, the program tells me I am attempting to run the program from a UNC location, and that I need to install / run it from a physical drive or mapped network drive.  How do I map a network drive without using UNC parameters, i.e., \\Server\Folder?

The solution to my problem above was that I had to disconnect the mapped network drives in Win 7, so that they did not show up as network shared drives in XP Mode.  Once there were no mapped/shared drives in XP Mode, I created new mapped drives by right-clicking on the network folders, and then I could run the installation/setup files as previously done in Windows XP.
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 5:03 AM
  • Bombadi, there have been a number of different problems mentioned in the post. Which does yours address?

For me, it's that Windows "can't find" my network when I try to map a network drive, even though the same network worked perfectly on Vista. I tried changing the registry key like you said, but nothing changed. Were you talking about the same thing?
    -Thomas
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 3:07 AM
  • I have experience both the network connetivity issues and the SSL network drive issue.   Also found that I could no long network 2 PCs via 1394 firewire.  None of these were problems with XP.    I am using Win 7 Professional 64bit. I realize that there are work arounds for the varoius issues, such as 3rd party app for WebDAV HTTPS, such as Virtual PC and XP mode but that causes other problems...I feel like I have lost functionality via th OS change.

Call me dissappointed.
    Saturday, February 06, 2010 12:33 AM
  • For win Home Users:

you can edit the registry yourself by doing this:

1) open Notepad:

2) copy this text and past in notepad:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]
    "lmcompatibilitylevel"=dword:00000002

3) save the file on your desktop (or anywhere else) as name.reg - ".reg" is important.

4) run the file and press yes on the 2 poppups.

Now it should be fixed.

Source: http://www.ntnu.no/itinfo/read_article.php?aid=711  (in Norwegian)
    I tried this fix with no success I'm afraid, although I am using a Netbook with WIN7 Starter so I guess that might be a factor ?

I am having the same trouble as other people when trying to map a NAS on my netbook in that the correct password is not being accepted.  From reading the posts I guess it is because WIN7 is passing the username as NETBOOK\alanrichey rather than alanrichey as was done by Vista/XP.

Seems odd that Microsoft should have blocked this function.  I know the capabilities table points out you cannot connect to Company networks, but surely they should have allowed connections to Home networks ?

Sunday, February 07, 2010 1:06 PM
  • Just as a follow on I can confirm the fix works on WIN7 Home, I just did it on my daughter's computer and mapped the NAS without a problem.   And as a an extra bonus that computer now sees all the other non-WIN7 computers on my Home Network, which it didn't do before :-)

But still not working on my Netbook with WIN7 Starter.   Running the .reg file as recommended did not add the key to the Registry (Maybe another security 'block' in WIN7 Starter?)  So I added the key manually using REGEDIT but it made no difference, the system still does not accept the password.
    Sunday, February 07, 2010 3:17 PM
  • I have found the problem, its a bit weird but when you attempt to log in it tries to connect the username to one tied to the domain, instead log in without a domain or by leaving it empty by putting a slash in from of the username: ex: /user and type the regular password.  Worked for me on win7 networked in a domain and the server has XP. Type in start menu search bar.
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 8:18 PM

*. Do this magic:

This is a good work-around, Thx!
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:54 AM
  • I have found the problem, its a bit weird but when you attempt to log in it tries to connect the username to one tied to the domain, instead log in without a domain or by leaving it empty by putting a slash in from of the username: ex: /user and type the regular password.  Worked for me on win7 networked in a domain and the server has XP. Type in start menu search bar.
    That seemed logical, and when I tried it, it definitely removed the Domain name and appeared to just send the plain username and password.  Unfortunately it still returned the same error of incorrect password (which it isn't)

Sorry
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 9:05 AM
  • Ok, I found a solution that worked for me.  when it asks you for a username and password, type \DOMAIN\username then your password.  When it comes back and says incorrect password, just type in the password again.  I don't know why this worked for me but it did.
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 6:39 PM
  • The link doesnt work.
    Also I am using Win7 Pro, and cannot find the Security Policy Editor.

I agree with others, that for families who may have 2 or more PC/laptop and share devices, this is yet another of Microsofts "we're too big to care" attitudes.
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 3:05 PM
  • I have been using Microsoft products since Dos 1.1, and the ability to map network drives has always been an option for as long as there have been networks.  (Probably starting around Dos 3.) The response that an individal needs to upgrade to a the professional version of Win 7 is unacceptable, and not true.

While you may not be able to get a 3 line Win7 network logon (with a domain) in the home versions, You can, in fact map drives, even over a network. I hanve just done it anfter much effort. I wish that I could tell you how, but it was trial and error, and I would most likely mislead you. I did have to disable the Win 7 security, however.

The part that really troubles me is that Microsoft techs either are unaware of this option, or that they simply are looking for an easy way out of the question by telling users thay they have to upgrade, or that registry hacks are required. Their answers are unacceptable. There is a problem out there, and Microsoft needs to fix it NOW!!!

I have read that people want to return to Vista, (Microsoft's biggest mistake since Windows Me). Win 7 was supposed to be a major improvement, and simple problems like this were not supposed to occur. I am surprised that this problem was not discovered during the early stages of testing. It should have been corrected in the Alpha test stage, and it should have been gone by the Beta test. Wither Microsoft is ignoring their users, or they are employing people who do knowing what they are doing.

I suggest that Microsoft get on the ball, and restore the functionality that has always been there. If not, I suppose that it's time to dump Microsoft in favor of Unix.  

WAKE UP MICROSOFT!!

Wednesday, March 03, 2010 6:17 PM
  • Hi,
      I have an interesting twist to this problem.  I have a notebook running Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit and can not map to some network drives.  I am using a workgroup and this worked fine in XP and Vista. I can access the drives using Firefox with the proper IP address.  2 of the drives are on a Linksys NAS box.  When I run the included program it sees the drives but asks for a username and password, but says they are wrong.  3 of the drives are on a box running SMB.
      I also have a netbook running Windows 7 Professional and it can connect to all the network drives with no problems.  I checked the setting and have tried changing the security policy but no luck.
      Any ideas?

Thursday, March 04, 2010 8:00 PM
  • Hello all,
     I was experiencing the same problem trying to connect to a networked drive in Win 7 Pro. Tried everything listed thus far on this page but what finally worked for me was >> when the username/password box popped up, typed "Guest" in username field, left password field blank. Been connecting fine since then. Go figure.
    • Proposed as answer by MrMSJD Monday, January 28, 2013 10:06 PM
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 7:19 AM
  • I am having similar problems trying to map a network drive in Windows 7.
    The machine I am trying to connect to is \\IPAddress (a windows 2000 server).
    I get the message ... 'The specified network password is not correct' .

This is puzzling because I am able to map the same network \\IPAddress\SharedFolder from a different machine (which is running NT Workstation), and have also successfully connected to this  \\IPAddress\SharedFolder from this Windows 7 machine on previous occasions.

I can successfully ping the destination server machine referenced by \\IPAddress and ping this Windows 7 machine from the server. I can also of course bring up web pages from theserver as well as establish ftp connections to it from this Windows 7 machine.

Also, I am able to map shared folders located on this Windows 7 machine, from both the server, and the windows NT machine as described above. Can also map shared folders from the server to the NT machine.

So in summary, the problem is that I cannot map resources from other machines onto the Windows 7 box.

Any suggestions ?
    Thanks,
    Bob Brinkoetter

Sunday, March 14, 2010 8:50 PM
  • I resolved this problem, kind of by accident. The Guest account on the  Windows 2000 server was disabled. After  re-enabling the Guest account on the server, the Windows 7 machine was able to map the shared server directory.

I am not clear why the server Guest account effects resource sharing in this case, since the Windows 7 machine is logging onto the server with a unique UserID and Password (this UserID is not a member of the server Guests group).

It would seem that if the Guest account must be enabled on the 2000 server, in order to allow Windows 7 client machines to share resources, this condition would hold true for Windows NT client machines. But it does not.

The NT client machines can share server resources by logging onto the server with the SAME UserID and Password being used by the Windows 7 client machines (even though the Guest account is disbled on the server) and successfully map network drives. Oh Well !

Hope this helps somebody else.
    Thanks,
    Bob Brinkoetter
    • Proposed as answer by equip Saturday, April 10, 2010 6:55 PM
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 12:52 PM
  • Dear kmruss
    You are a genius.  Thank you a MILLION times.
    Yesterday I got an IBM Thinkpad T410 wih Windows 7 Ultimate, uploaded the most recent patches and nothing allowed me to connect to my file server until your solution.  Thank you so much.
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 3:04 PM
  • By the way, there is one more consideration on enabling the Guest UserID under Windows 2000 ...

One should read this article before enabling the Guest UserID on Windows 2000 Server ...
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/235319

Thanks,
    Bob Brinkoetter
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 9:59 PM
  • The "guest" worked for me also, connecting Windows 7 64 Ultimate to Win 2000 server.

The connections worked monday until after upgrading of three software's which or perhaps all created the issue.
    MS KB for security
    Firefox 
    Goodsync

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 10:02 PM
  • This answer does not help me since I already have win7.  I need to add a mapped drive to a secure web page OR add a network location but after attempting to enter the user name and password, all I get is a message saying "the folder you entered does not appear to be valid".  Is there some setting I'm missing?  Please help.
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 4:08 PM
  • Not that Microsoft listens, but it should be putting work network connectivity into every version of Windows, and certainly anything above the Basic version.  Windows Premium shouldn't be able to log into work?  Oh come on!

I've complained about this since XP required the professional version!

Thursday, March 25, 2010 3:19 AM
  • <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-alt:"Calisto MT"; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1107304683 0 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-alt:"Arial Rounded MT Bold"; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-520092929 1073786111 9 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:"Century Schoolbook"; panose-1:2 4 6 4 5 5 5 2 3 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:647 0 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin;} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; color:blue; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; color:purple; mso-themecolor:followedhyperlink; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:10.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

Please change this Group Policy:

to follow the below instructions from an account with admin access on the PC that you are trying to access the share run gpedit.msc from the RUN command.

Local Computer Policy > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options > Network access: Sharing and security model for local accounts: Classic – local users authenticate as themselves.

I have found many PCs that have Guest Only – local users authenticate as Guest – This setting prevents us from browsing to \\pcname\c$ and such if the local Guest account is disabled which it should be for security best practices.

So I don't know what win7 is doing that XP was not since this is only an issue when connecting from a Win7 machine.  I would love to have someone explain what the difference is.

Bill

Friday, March 26, 2010 8:34 PM
  • Thank you!  This fixed the issue I was having.
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 3:34 PM
  • This worked for me, together with the registry change recommended by Alan Richey. Thanks both!
    Friday, April 09, 2010 2:59 AM
  • Enabling THE GUEST Worked for me.  I tried all the others and they did not work.  I havw windows 7 Home connecting to windows 2000 server shares.
    equip
    Saturday, April 10, 2010 6:54 PM
  • Amazing, worked like magic.  Thank you so much you saved my life :).

By the way i have Windows 7 Enterprise 32 and i had the same problem.

I suggest for everyone to try this first.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 6:35 AM
  • This worked for me when connecting to a ...fedf\ef$ folder through vpn! Everything else was already solved by changing the local security policy.

Thanks!

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 1:22 PM

*. Do this magic:

IN ENGLISH:

Available in Win7 Ultimate too -- Do check on Home Premium because it really should be there.  It's just a local policy.

Go to Start>Type gpedit.msc (it is located at C:\Windows\System32\gpedit.msc.) Press enter to open it.  Click yes if UAC prompts you.

Go to Local Computer Policy> Computer Configuration> Windows Settings> Security Settings> Local Policies> Security Options>

Scroll down to "Network security: LAN Manager authentication level"

Change it to: “Send LM & NTLM, use NTLMv2 session security is negotiated”

The new security policy may not apply itself until reboot so restart to be sure.

• Proposed as answer by klgergo Thursday, April 15, 2010 7:42 AM
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 2:25 AM
  • Mapping a drive to an online network via port 445 or 443 can create a huge security whole so USE A FIREWALL other than Windows Firewall (aka turn on your router's firewall or install a separate software one.)

Also many ISP's block port 445 so you may be SOL.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 2:27 AM
  • I tried everything that I could find in this page but this was the only one that helped, I did not even need a reboot! BTW I have a Win7 Pro on my notebook and the problem persisted when trying to connect from a domain to a Win2k3 network share (which was outside the domain). Thanks a lot, mmmelaney!!! :-)

Thursday, April 15, 2010 7:44 AM
  • Hey I'm experiencing something similar with Windows 7 Professional Dutch edition. Did you solve it? I am trying to connect a secondary SataHD to the Sata2 port of my Motherboard but it keeps disappearing and when it is online it is very slow.
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 3:11 PM
  • I'm not sure if my issue is the same as everyone else's here, but possible very similar. At work we use a program called etfile. It is a virtual filing cabinet that stores information. I have read countless forums and can't seem to figure out how to get this to completly work. I have windows 7 ultimate and have installed xp mode. In xp mode I have finally gotten it to map and recognize the etfile drives. It also works in xp mode. I cant seem to get it to  work or publish correctly to win 7. Can someone please help me......

Thanks,

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 5:49 PM
  • Not sure if anyone else has answerd this but remove the password protection in the network sharing centre, this will allow you to map drives and connect, :)
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 6:04 PM
  • I removed the password fromthe XPM user account. What about ASP.Net should i remove that password too? This will allow the program to publish from xp mode to win 7?

If anyone can help please read first post from me...

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 6:18 PM
  • Your university network may be different, but it sounds very similar to mine. And I got my shared folder working, on all versions of 7! I've tested this on both Starter and Ultimate. But I should add that I'm having problems with the Cisco VPN at the moment, so I'm not sure if it works that way. Here are my steps:

1. From the "Computer" view of Explorer, choose "Map a Network Drive"
    2. In the "Folder" text box, enter \\servername\userpath (in my case, this actually requires the fully-qualified domain name of the file server and more! For example, files.example.edu\users$\username)
    3. Check "Connect using different credentials"
    4. Click finish
    5. When the "Enter Network Password" box appears, enter logindomain\username in the "user name" box -- this is another critical step. If it says "Domain: localcomputername" it definitely won't work. Check with your campus to see which domain you have a username and password for. As soon as you type the "\" between the domain and the username, you'll see the "Domain:" change to whatever you entered. If you don't use a domain-based auth scheme, this may be what's not working for you. 
    6. You should now be able to log in by clicking OK.
    Note that there's a lot of talk about domains here, but being able to "join a domain" is not required in order to map a drive.

• Proposed as answer by bemis269 Monday, June 07, 2010 11:03 PM
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 6:40 AM
  • Hey Guys... I had the same issues... thought it was 7... turns out it was some "network management tool" that was with norton 360... before doing any sort of fix or something... make sure you check that you don't have norton 360... if you do.. then your problem could be that...  turns out the "server" pc was running 360 and I had to either disable it's "network management tool" or manually setup each new computer "ironically which were all windows 7"

so don't forget guys.... check for the SIMPLEST solutions first... if it's not those... then goodluck !!! haha

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 10:19 PM
  • TRY DISABLING USER ACCOUNT CONTROL (UAC)!!

After hours and hours of working on mapping network drives, it seems that user account control in Windows 7 was the issue preventing me from mapping drives.  I was attempting to use the \\server\c$ method, and getting very inconsistent results, using a variety of Vista and 7 machines.  It seemed that Vista was usually more cooperative than 7.  Then I realized that all my Vista machines had UAC disabled, because that is the first thing I do to any Vista machine, because on Vista UAC is so annoying.  On 7 I often just left UAC alone, because it isn’t nearly as bothersome in 7. 

I did NOT have to do any registry or security policy editing!  All I did in 7 is to drag the bar down to “Never Notify.”  After doing this, I mapped the drives as \\ipaddress\c$.  And it worked.  Still not what I wanted, but pretty good.  A little while latter, just for kicks, I tried mapping \\server\c$ and it worked.  Then I removed the \\ipaddress and everything is still working.  I don’t know if mapping as \\ipaddress is a step that matters or not. 

Another thing I did and I do not know if matters.  I created a random folder on c:  and then went to properties -> Sharing-> Advanced Sharing.  I checked the box to share it and then edited permissions so that “Everyone” has full control. (you could of course just grant full control to say the administrators group).  Doing this allowed me to map a network drive by browsing for it on the network instead of typing \\server\share.  Windows seemed to like browsing better.  Later, I removed full control from ‘everyone’ and it didn’t matter. Like I said, don’t know if this matters, but hey it’s worth a try. 

Another thing, and this one does matter.  When win 7 asks for a password to map a network drive, it often lists a “Domain” underneath the slots for username and password.  First of all it is not really a Domain as I do not have a server running.  Second, it usually lists that ‘Domain’ as localmachine.  To make sure you are logging correctly type in remotemachine\username and the password.  This is of course the username and password of the remote machine, not the one you are sitting at.

That’s about all I know on this issue.  Hope I helped someone.

Keyword "map network drive c$"
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 12:52 PM
  • Try this it worked for me. I couldn't map a drive password incorrect kept appearing.

1- Click Start

2- Control Panel

3- User Accounts and Family settings

4- User Accounts

5- Select bottom option Change user account control settings

6- Slide bar to Never Notify

7- Click OK

8- Restart machine and then map drive and it should work, worked for me.

• Proposed as answer by kylejwx2 Thursday, May 13, 2010 3:44 PM
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 2:06 PM
  • It works and I think this does make sense.

I had the same problem either on W7 Home or W7 Pro.

FYI: LmCompatibilityLevel - Specifies the mode of authentication and session security to be used for network logons. -

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc960646.aspx

P.S.: Somehow for the Windows 7 Pro., the key "LmCompatibilityLevel" is missing. I had to add it back to make it working. The default level for Win7 Home is "3", it should work Theorically but it works only after setting it to "2".
    Friday, May 14, 2010 1:49 AM
  • catdogboy,

Thanks. It worked

Thursday, May 20, 2010 3:55 PM
  • I also had problems logging onto network resources that weren't using Win 7.  Thanks to everyone for solving this issue.  I changed the Local Policy as suggested:

Local Policies à Security Options à Network Security:  LAN Manager Authentication level , that “Send LM & NTLM, use NTLMv2 session security is negotiated” if chosen

Now here is my question.  I like to be able to revert back to the original settings when I am troubleshooting other computer headaches.  Before I changed the "LAN Manager Authentication Level" to the reccomended setting above it said the current level was "Not Defined".  I am pretty sure the default level is "Send NTLMv2 responses only.  Refuse LM & NTLM".  Is there a way to set it back to "Not Defined"?  It's always nice to start back at square 1 when you are troubleshooting or it's hard to pinpoint what may have and may not have worked.

Any suggestions or reg edits would be appreciated.

By the way the fix was a tremendous help. 

Regards,

Jim

Friday, May 21, 2010 9:23 PM
  • You can see what is the default on the explain tab at the very bottom.  I don't know how to change it to undefined again, but there's probably a way to do it by changing or deleting a registry entry.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Friday, May 21, 2010 10:04 PM
  • I have Windows 7 64 Home Premium. I was all of a sudden not able to map a network drive and kept getting that network password was incorrect. I had been trying tons of suggestions from all the other sites with no available. I tried Bombadi's suggestion from here, rebooted and I was able to get remap my lost network drive and no problem of it accepting the password.

Thank you, Bombadi...you are a lifesaver!

Monday, May 24, 2010 4:56 PM

*. Do this magic:

This worked for me too. Thank you very much for the tip.

DomUK

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 8:24 AM
  • This solved my problem as well. I have a proprietary software pakcage that installs some files locally, and must 'point' to a mapped drive  on a server (where additional files for the application are housed) during the install process. When this part of the install came up, the mapped drives were not showing in the drop down... only the local drived (C:\ & D:\) showed.

I turned User Account Control to the lowest setting, and rebooted.

My software installation package now sees the mapped drives in the drop down and the installation completes normally.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 10:02 PM
  • This did the trick for me... it seems Win 7 64 bit defaults to the wrong domain, and I didn't realize that I had to enter my school's domain along with my username for mapping to happen.   I don't think this happens in 32 bit since I have done it twice recently on other machines no problem.

uberThanks,

Dana

Monday, June 07, 2010 11:06 PM
  • My Windows 7 Ultimate desktop is in the domain that the server I wanted to map is joined to. This is what worked for me (and it probably would work even if you are not part of the domain, you'd just have to use the full machine name).

Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Advanced sharing settings

Turn on file and printer sharing (network discovery was already turned on from another task I did - not sure if network discovery is necessary to map a drive).

Map the network drive, in my case it was \\storage\user_name, if my computer wasn't part of the domain it would be \\storage.xyz.college.edu\user_name

Since my computer was part of the domain and I was already logged on with appropriate credentials, I didn't have to add them, but if I were prompted for a user name and password, the user name field should be domain\user_name, in this example, xyz.college.edu\user_name.

I hope this helps others.

Wednesday, August 04, 2010 2:32 PM
  • I have tried your steps but still no success there is one thing I did notice differently. I have Windows 7 Pro with secpol when I went through your steps there was the finale step you have:

" Send LM & NTLM, use NTLMv2 session security is negotiated"

mine choice was:

"Send LM & NTLM, use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated"

What is that all about was yours a misprint or do I have a mis-configured OS?

I will proceed with the other steps in this forum maybe one of them will help me resolve the very PAINFUL experience.

MY RANT: I am so over whelmed and confused that MS would be as low as to require you to purchase a feature that was in Vista home and not port it over to Windows 7 Premium isn’t   the whole premise of UPGRADE is to enhance and/or improve on existing products.

I have spent countless hours and about $200+ dollars to “UPGRADE” to Windows 7 Professional only to have if be a downgrade. Yes it’s suppose to be more stable and faster but what good is all that it can’t so the most simple and basic of task that it’s predecessors (Xp and Vista) did without any issues. I am very disappoint in this whole MS business I use to support MS whole hardly   but after this I’m not sure I can justify people upgrading. I will be moving to Apple in the near future. I will nolonger be forced to buy upgrade that rob the consumer.

I could go on but I will stop.

Any help I mean ANY help is greatly appreciated.

Thx,

~r

• Edited by Rabalam Thursday, November 18, 2010 10:44 PM deleted header information..
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 8:12 PM
  • run secpol.msc to get to the security policy editor.
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 8:28 PM

• Day 2 of trying to map a drive in Windows 7 Professional:

My journey to ____..

Begins:

I purchased Windows 7 Home 3xuser license pack for ~140 US I kep hearing friend sayhow much faster it was than Vista 32bit so I thought hey let’s “upgrade” .. I looked up the definition of the word “upgrade” the following is what I found:

1. To exchange a possession for one of greater value or quality; trade up.

2. Computer Science To replace software or hardware with an upgrade.

3. Computer Science

a. To replace (a software program) with a more recently released, enhanced version.

b. To replace (a hardware device) with one that provides better performance.

So we,re all clear on what an upgrade is suppose to be. I wanted tomake sure I understood before I proceeded.

I installed a copy on my latptop Toshiba Centrino 1.83 Ghz/3 G Ram decent computer for all intent and purposes. It’s been working fine on Vista but running slow. So I went through MS “requirements checking” to determine if my computer passed the MS test and worth of such the honor and also get MS’s blessing before I moved forward with the “upgrade”.

I proceeded with the upgrade went relatively smoothly had to uninstall a few programs but I figure that’s such a  small price to pay for such great enhancement that I will receive from my “upgrade”. Approximately 4 to 5 hours later after minimal reboots I was all set to go with my new upgraded OS. It was working as prescribed faster than Vista cleaner interface sorta, helpful little taskbar gadgets. I was stoked that night I went to be thinking I will go to work and be a rock star on my brand newly “upgraded” computer.

Oh and by the way, I was so thrilled about Windows 7 I even upgrade my home computer as well.

I go into work and I have a very big user migration that night, I am an network engineer and I use my laptop for work I use Visio, Wireshark and others, all the tools that help us do our job efficiently and effectively.

I sit down turn on my computer it boots faster than Vista and I’m just chomping at the bit to get going have lots of work to do. So let go back for a minute an look at the definition of “upgrade”

“3. Computer Science

a. To replace (a software program) with a more recently released, enhanced version.

b. To replace (a hardware device) with one that provides better performance.”

So were good on what upgrade is?

I have my computer up I have logged in (locally) not on a domain as I was not when I was on Vista OS. I wanted to attach the server to get some files so I go to map a drive………………. Hmmmph ….. that’s weird I cannot map a drive …… let’s try this again……… hmmmph…. what this domain thing going here I never need that before in the lesser product Vista but ok I’ll add my \\servername\folder and my domain.org\username..... hit enter and hmmmmmph …. It ask me for my password again.. well I could have fat gingered it so I’ll type it in reallllllllly slow.. hmmmmmmph ….. again no such luck…

So I decide consult a colleague of mine who recommended I “upgrade” to Windows 7. After speaking with me he tells me oh! You need Windows 7 Professional to do the same things you did in Vista home … I’m perplexed by this but let’s once more take a look at the word “upgrade” to “enhance and/or make better ”. So now I’m a little perturbed by this little bit of information but I suck it up and decide I’ll drop another ~100.00 US on an “upgrade” to Professional small price to pay for such a great product.. I mean have you seen those commercial WOW!

I make my purchase download and once “upgrade” to new “upgrade” with even more improvement over Vista and XP I mean with those two OS’s it took me all of 5 second to map a drive SURELY Windows 7 Professional will map a drive like no one business.

After  few reboots my computer has been fully “upgraded” and ‘upgrade” again to W7 Pro and I’m off to the races ready to get to work cause my migration will be starting in a few hours and I want to be prepared. Sytsem reboots quickly I’m logged and ready to start getting my information I so desperately need. I go to map my drive I figure I’ll help W7Pro out I’ll be proactive and use “domain.org\username” that way W7Pro  will like me and think oh! this man is brilliant. I hit enter with my correct password that I type realllllly slow. …… waited it’s thinking for sure this is it .. the anticipation is killing me the excitement is overwhelming ……. THUD my world just came crashing down ..no luck .. no login ..no mapping drives…I’m now on hour 6 of this ridiculous journey to the “upgrade” to “upgrade” ____. So now I’m left to forum because MS surely does not think I am going to pay them $275.00 and hour for support on something that should have work right out of the box.

So I’m on day to I have tried everything on this forum page to get my mapped drive to work with nothing working for me. It appears that if I want to use my computer I will have to rolled back to the lesser (Vista).

Just in case you’re wondering how I made it through the user migration. I had my co-worker bring me my XP computer worked like it’s was suppose to.

Thursday, November 18, 2010 9:41 PM
  • This really isn't the right place for this, it's only for
    virtualization, but I'll try and help -- if the server you're mapping
    to is a Win2000/NT4 or some version of UNIX/Linux running a SMB
    server, the NTLM negotiation is probably your problem.  From a
    previous message setting the NTLM authentication in the local security
    policy is how to get it to work. "Send LM & NTLM, use NTLMv2 session
    security if negotiated" is the correct choice.  (The "is" in the
    message before that was a typo)  You should then reboot and try again.

As to why you would need to do this -- Win7 is more secure because
    some defaults have been changed to make it more secure.  It's not a
    case of a lesser version, but of more security.

Thursday, November 18, 2010 10:10 PM
  • Bob -- I did that step "Send LM & NTLM, use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated" several time and rebooted. As a matter of fact I just did it before I saw your post and I still same results I get prompted for my password. When I was running Vista it would ask for password I entered it and drives were mapped. I'm not sure why you say this is only for virtualization all of the previous post were directly related to the mapping of drives. If I have posted to the incorrect forum please direct me to the correct one.

Thanks...

~r

Thursday, November 18, 2010 10:43 PM
  • >I'm not sure why you say this is only for virtualization all of the previous post were directly related to the mapping of drives.

From a VM.  That's what this forum is for.

>If I have posted to the incorrect forum please direct me to the correct one.

I really don't know which would be the proper forum, I'm a
    virtualization guy -- perhaps one of the moderators will move this
    subthread.

Anyway, can you tall me what the PC or server you're trying to map a
    drive from's OS?  You may have to crank the authentication down even
    more.  There might be something else blocking it as well.

Windows 7 Pro can definitely do drive mapping, so it's not that it
    can't...

Friday, November 19, 2010 12:31 AM
  • You can create map drives in Windows Home but you can't join a domain. For differences between versions see - http://www.windows7library.com/blog/install/windows-7-editions/
    Friday, November 19, 2010 2:41 PM
  • It's all better after retracing my steps one last time and rebooting making sure all patched up. It finally started working .. WHEW!  I'm not sure which step finally worked I applied both the Windows Home registry hack as well and the Secpol fix..

Thanks for all the help ...

~r

Friday, November 19, 2010 7:01 PM
  • Ok, I found a solution that worked for me.  when it asks you for a username and password, type \DOMAIN\username then your password.  When it comes back and says incorrect password, just type in the password again.  I don't know why this worked for me but it did.
    Your method totally worked!  My connection was FROM Win7 Ultimate 32-bit on my netbook to Win7 Ultimate 64-bit which is my home server.  Plugged in \<my domain name>\E$ for the user.  Plugged in my password.  Waited for the error. The user name was no longer editable so I just plugged in the password again and BAM!  Connected.  Thanks.
    Friday, November 26, 2010 11:40 AM
  • I thought catdogboy's answer looked like a solution but still didn't work.

Finally got it working when I created accounts on both machines with the same username. seemed to do the trick.

Monday, November 29, 2010 10:57 PM
  • I have posted this for other fixes of network access issues and so far it has worked for everything so far!

Click on the Start button and type SECPOL.MSC in the search function.

Browse to "Local Policies" -> "Security Options". Now Look for the Entry "Network Security: Lan Manager

Authentication Level" and open it. Click on the dropdown menu and select "Send LM & NTLM - use  NTLMv2

session security if negotiated". Aplly the Settings.

In the advanced Sharing settings of Network and Sharing center, you need to have it set as Work/Home

Profile. Now Try It!

Please check these related Policy items also!

Enter the "GPEDIT.MSC" in the start search function box.
    Open the "Computer Configuration" goto "Windows Settings" then to "Security Settings" followed by the

"Local Policies" and then "Security Settings".
    In the right pane window, "Enable" the following Policies:

Network Access: Allow Anonymous SID/Name translation
    Network Access: Let Everyone Permissions aplly to anonymous users

Also, Please Disable the Following Policies:

Network Access: Restrict anonymous access to Named Pipes and Shares
    Network Access: Do Not Allow Anonymous Enumeration of Sam Accounts
    Network Access: Do Not Allow Anonymous Enumeration of Sam Accounts and Shares

BILL
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 6:09 PM
  • I also have been having problems getting my new Win 7 Home Premium to work with a network drive.  Everything worked fine with my old XP machine.  Setup consists of my Toshiba laptop and a (wireless) Linksys WRTSL54GS router with a USB storage link.  The router has a USB hard drive attached with two partitions. 

When viewing the storage link in the router setup process they are visible and shares are set up (and working on the XP machine).

Initially I had problems even seeing the router with WIN 7 let alone the two partitions.  After reading the various posts on this thread I now have the two partitions mapped in Windows Explorer and I can read and write files just fine (with the exception noted below).  However if I try to access a media file on one of the partitions with Windows Media Player I get a "Windows Media Player cannot find the file. If you are trying to play, burn, or sync an item that is in your library, the item might point to a file that has been moved, renamed, or deleted."  

I can copy the media file to the C: drive and it will play fine. 

Additionally, I have a batch file (DOS) the I run to backup files.  It uses the XCOPY command to copy any new/modified files to one of the partitions on the routers attached hard drive.  It works for most files but if it encounters certain file types (.pdf, .html, etc.) it responds with "Insufficient space" when it should be copying the file to the backup location.  This batch file works flawlessly on the old XP machine.

Any ideas?  Something to do with shares or what??

Thanks for any ideas

Sunday, January 02, 2011 12:56 AM
  • Should note that the external hard drive is formatted NTFS if that makes any difference.
    Sunday, January 02, 2011 1:01 AM
  • Also the hard drive works fine when connected directly to the laptop USB port.  Problems only encountered when connecting via network (wired or wireless).

Sunday, January 02, 2011 1:07 AM
  • Upgraded to Win 7 professional (64 bit) and still have the same problem.  Tried connecting the USB drive to another PC on the network and encountered similar problems. 

Help Please!!

Lenp

Monday, January 03, 2011 7:39 PM
  • A little progress.............

I now can read and write files to the external hard drive but I am still limited in some ways.

1) The media files can still not read by any media player and

2) the XCOPY command returns an error "insufficient disk space" when used with switches to copy all sub-directories.

Lenp

Tuesday, January 04, 2011 3:45 PM
  • Are there any softwares that can be used to get access to shared drive?

For example, ftp client softwares.

I have W7 32 and can't get access to a share drive....I get the typical user name-password issue....no problem with Vista.

Thanks,

Andre

Thursday, January 13, 2011 4:57 PM
  • Hi, I am trying to map a network drive on win7 ult, I have sucessfully done it twice.  Every time I reset my router (asus rt-n16) I have to remap the drive (it is connected to my routers usb).  I use a instant backup software that works wirelessly if the dirve is mapped and the icon is a network hdd.  Butt if I have the network folder (folder with the globe and pipes) my software does not recognize the drive.  I have tried restarting the router, using a diff usb port on the router and neither work and my drive will not show up under the "network" tab on the left and so I can't map the drive.  I know this is a windows problem because I can still use a ftp link to make a network folder so my drive is recognized in my router.  If you could help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jeremy
    Monday, January 24, 2011 5:07 AM
  • Hello all,
     I was experiencing the same problem trying to connect to a networked drive in Win 7 Pro. Tried everything listed thus far on this page but what finally worked for me was >> when the username/password box popped up, typed "Guest" in username field, left password field blank. Been connecting fine since then. Go figure.

After three hours trying to get my external hard drive connected through my router to my laptops, this ridiculously simple solution worked. I couldn't map the drive because I couldn't get past the username/password box. I had never set up any such password. Had to type in "guest" at that stage, then when accessing my HDD. Now, I can write, delete, move etc to the drive. Thanks buzzard.dreams!
    Friday, January 28, 2011 7:11 PM
  • This one worked for me... I can access network drives now... Thanks

Sunday, April 03, 2011 9:12 AM
  • Hi,

Yes I also agree that this is not fair. In fact I am wondering if it is leagle. It is now 2011 and still I cannot conect windows 7 to windows 7 unless I pay the 300.00 more dollars. I managed to last year for about 4 months then after an update that I refused updated that was it. I have to use a memory stick to update and transfer data.

Apple is $26.00 for the complete operating system and it works...

Hardware is more expensive but its worth every penny.

Tuesday, April 05, 2011 9:48 PM
  • Hi,

I am having the same problem as everyone else, I upgraded to Win7 (64) Home Premium from XP, I have a NAS and was easily able to see the network share and access files from the NAS, Win7 was so easy to see and use...

Then it all dissapeared, after a Windows Update, I no longer can access the NAS. I can ping it, but whenever I try to acess it using Exploere, it tells me "Invalid device name", "network path not found" which is a lie cause other machines can still see the NAS on the network and access files.

I have tried everything in this post (except the upgrade to Proffesional/Ultimate - don't see we I have too), so I have tried so far:

1. The registry hack - no luck

2. The UAC to "Never Notify" - no luck

3. I do not have gpedit.msc or secpol.msc on my version, so I can't do that????

Does anyone have any other ideas that may help????

I have a 32 bit Win7 system that is not effected, it still sees my NAS, it only effects the 64 bit version? SHould I just install 32 bit version on my 64 bit hardware? will this work and fix my problem?

Thanks

Saturday, May 21, 2011 1:12 PM
  • Having worked my way through all the comments, and making the various changes to the registry, none of which worked, I finally came across the comment advising to simply put a / in front of the user name (so the domain is removed) and using the normal password.  This worked first time and went straight in.

Why can't Microsoft keep what is good and improve what isn't

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 6:34 PM
  • started having this problem when i updated to SP1, just reinstalled Win7 Pro and did not include SP1 in updates and everyting works fine again for mapping servers and NAS drives.  hoping restore point works on other machines.

does anyone have an easy fix for SP1 installs?

thx

marc

Monday, August 08, 2011 6:09 PM

*. Do this magic:

Worked a treat

Thank you very much!

• Proposed as answer by ckent Thursday, September 01, 2011 1:51 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by ckent Thursday, September 01, 2011 1:52 AM
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 10:11 AM
  • I got my system working, but I did not buy an upgrade to Professional, what I did was install the 32 bit version of Windows 7 Home Edition (with SP1 installed), which came with my original purchase.  I have no idea why Microsoft have different capabilities between the 32 and 64 bit versions, but the 32 bit one works, I can now access my NAS and other PC's on my home network (which I couldn't do with 64 bit and SP1 installed)
    ckent
    Thursday, September 01, 2011 1:56 AM
  • hey ,

sorry if I look like a noob and dint read all of the above, but did you all change the Advance sharing from 256 bit to 128 bit?

Friday, September 09, 2011 5:28 AM
  • The solution to add an entry to the hosts file works. It's not elegant, but it does the trick.
    Friday, September 23, 2011 3:58 PM
  • I am disappointed that Microsoft's answer was incorrent but not totally surprised.  I scanned some of the thread and most of the advice is wrong.  Windows Home Premium does support drive mappings without changing any settings, assuming you are in the home network.  A common problem and one I just ran into was a virus scan product blocking the access.  Uninstalling it fixed the problem.  Pick a virus scan product that does not block this type of traffic (Network share/SMB traffic).  Along those same lines make sure your firewall is not blocking that traffic.
    Thursday, February 09, 2012 3:01 AM
  • MS Windows 7 does support mapping network drives.

I don't know what all problems everyone is having, but I was having an issue getting to my XP hidden share from Windows 7.  An easy fix:  Check the two computers' time (clock).  One of my computers was 2 weeks behind the other and once I corrected the dates (and times), it worked flawlessly.  This has worked on two different computers.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 4:28 AM
  • Thank you. This solved my problem too. A workgroup network connection to a Win2K computer that was working forever suddenly stopped connecting after a recent windows update. "Windows security" kept asking for "network password", which of course there isn't any. Tried a dozen different things, but nothing worked. finally found this post and it fixed the problem. BTW, Security Policy Editor is accessed by typing "secpol.msc" on the command line. (using Windows 7 Pro)

AB

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 11:34 PM
  • I would love to work with someone who has more technical knowledge or at least in a different area.  perhaps we could help each other find a way. 

I currently have 3 drives mapped to 3 different folders in other states that I use just as if they were On my local network and I am even using wifi  No VPN or other connection making software is being used. 

Although if CAN be, doing so, while it does not prevent or enhance the connection, it does change the normal wording for the Mapping.  I hope someone needs a mapped drive bad enough to reply to this as I need  few key components (like an AV that does NOT interface with the firewall ports

Mapping server 2008 R2 folders to windows XP drive letters is no problem. :)  I have had no reason to try the other way but presumably it would work as well.

by the way is there any way on this forum for people to work together outside the forum? dont know how I could show somone how to connect thru here, My laptop is making errors as fast as I type very slow to correct.  But not sure if email addresses are allowed

• Edited by Questorfla Tuesday, August 07, 2012 7:33 AM Added contact question
    Tuesday, August 07, 2012 7:14 AM
  • Yes, but how can i give you h solution.  I takes time to explain
    Tuesday, August 07, 2012 7:36 AM
  • Bill,

None of this applies to Windows 7 Home premium. When running SECPOL.MSC, you simply get an Exporer screen with all the drives shwing up, but none of what you talk about here. I am on this OS aneven after making all the Registry changes, the Linksys NSUL2 still does not map on my system. I did get the NAS drive to work from XP and Vista systems however.

Vincent (-10-19-12)

Friday, October 19, 2012 10:02 PM
  • I love IN ENGLISH....this worked great for me.  FWIW I didn't have to reboot either.  I was mounting a Solaris mount

remotely.  Always worked in previous Windoze versions, but got some weird rejection in Win7.  This solved my problem.

Thanks for contributing!

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 2:34 AM
  • Worked for me mapping from Win7 Pro 64bit to WinXP Pro. Was pulling my hair out until I found this....thanks!

-Shawn

Thursday, December 06, 2012 4:56 PM
  • Awesome!!  Many thanks!!!
    Thursday, March 07, 2013 4:16 PM
  • Thank you..

though running .reg file didn't work, making these changes through regeidt solved the problem..

Thank you for saving from an unnecessary upgrade..

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 12:47 PM
  • /user did not work for me, but \user did. Thanks for getting me in the right direction.
    Monday, August 26, 2013 7:28 AM
  • 2014 - now - and this problem persists.

I guess my problem is the same i.e., the pop-ups are blocked. 

The solution (thanks) seems a little odd in that it is advocating using an older system to fix the newer one. 

Surely in Win 7 there must be an elegant solution for this? More and more people want and need to network.

Saturday, April 05, 2014 11:59 AM
  • Thank you very much! I cannot thank you enough!
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 5:52 PM
  • Thanks. This worked for me.
    Monday, February 02, 2015 4:45 PM