none
win10 1703: gpresult and rsop.msc break after sysrep RRS feed

• Question

• After sysprep (sysprep /oobe /generalize /shutdown, even without an answer file), running gpresult /r gives:

INFO: The User "COMPUTER/admin" does not have RSop data.

Running rsop.msc gives:

Group Policy Error:  Unable to generate RSoP Data.  In logging mode, likely causes are Group Policy has never successfully processed for the computer or user.  RSoP logging was never enabled, or data is corrupt.  In planning mode, verify that the selected domain controller supports RSoP.  Details: (None)

This is in what winver calls Windows 10 Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.0).  I didn't have this problem with Version 10.0 (Build 10240). 

If I delete the profile and login again, it works fine.  So this is an account and profile that existed before Sysprep.  Successfully running gpupdate first has no effect.

• Edited by JS2010 Friday, July 21, 2017 3:26 PM
    Friday, July 21, 2017 3:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you logon with COMPUTER/admin account to run that command?

Generally, this error happens because the user you’re running this command with isn’t logged on the system.

In order to avoid this warning, you can run the following:

GPRESULT /R /USER:COMPUTER/admin

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 24, 2017 6:56 AM
  • Yes, I logged in with that account.

Monday, July 24, 2017 12:28 PM
  • Yes, I logged in with that account.

What's result if you run GPRESULT /R /USER:COMPUTER/admin command?

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 10:01 AM
  • Same result.

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 2:17 PM
  • Here's the output in powershell with rsat installed:

PS C:\Users\admin> Get-GPResultantSetOfPolicy -reporttype html -path report.html
    Get-GPResultantSetOfPolicy : The Resultant Set of Policy (RSoP) report cannot be generated for user COMPUTER\admin on
    the COMPUTER computer because there is no RSoP logging data  for that user on that computer. This could be because the
    user has never logged onto that computer.
    Parameter name: User
    At line:1 char:1
    + Get-GPResultantSetOfPolicy -reporttype html -path report.html
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (Microsoft.Group...OfPolicyCommand:GetGPResultantSetOfPolicyCommand) [G
       et-GPResultantSetOfPolicy], ArgumentException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NoLoggingData,Microsoft.GroupPolicy.Commands.GetGPResultantSetOfPolicyCommand

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 6:15 PM
  • If I delete the reg key "hkcu\software\microsoft\windows\current version\group policy" and reboot, things mostly work.  I got the idea from here:  https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/236148-no-user-data-in-rsop

In gpresult /r, Under USER SETTINGS, Applied Group Policy Objects, it says "N/A", but everything else seems to work, including rsop.

Still get this error in powershell:

PS C:\Users\ccfadmin> Get-GPResultantSetOfPolicy -ReportType html -Path report.html
    Get-GPResultantSetOfPolicy : Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Get-GPResultantSetOfPolicy -ReportType html -Path report.html
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-GPResultantSetOfPolicy], NullReferenceException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.NullReferenceException,Microsoft.GroupPolicy.Commands.GetGPResultantSetOfPolicyCo
       mmand

• Edited by JS2010 Tuesday, July 25, 2017 7:25 PM
    Tuesday, July 25, 2017 7:18 PM
  • Hi.

You can try to reset your group policy as the following command:

1. Right click start button, select Command Prompt (admin).

2. Type the following two commands and press Enter on each line:

RD /S /Q "%WinDir%\System32\GroupPolicyUsers"
    RD /Q "%WinDir%\System32\GroupPolicy"S /

3. You can now restart your computer or force the update using the following command to complete the task:
    gpupdate /force

After that, check the result again.

Wednesday, July 26, 2017 7:55 AM
  • I assume the 2nd RD command should end with /S.  It didn't really change anything.  I could fix it by deleting my profile.  But this should be fixed.  I don't think 1703 is "business ready" yet, is it?

Thursday, July 27, 2017 2:06 PM
  • This might be cause by incorrect configuration during the sysprep. Since all of my Windows 10 1703 lab machines have no such issue and we also don't receive similar feedback.

Friday, July 28, 2017 8:53 AM
  • It only happens with profiles that exist before sysprep.  I've verified it with a new install, even with no answer file.

Friday, July 28, 2017 11:43 AM
  • It only happens with profiles that exist before sysprep.  I've verified it with a new install, even with no answer file.

It's confused about your description.

After generalize, all of your user profiles are removed. How did you sign in it after sysprep with generalize?

Tuesday, August 1, 2017 9:03 AM
  • That's not correct.  Only the local Administrator profile gets deleted.

• Edited by JS2010 Tuesday, August 1, 2017 12:12 PM
    Tuesday, August 1, 2017 12:10 PM
  • That's not correct.  Only the local Administrator profile gets deleted.

No, all user profiles is removed.

Let's read this official document:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc721940(v=ws.10).aspx

It mentions that Sysprep runs only if the computer is a member of a workgroup, not a domain. If the computer is joined to a domain, Sysprep removes the computer from the domain.

Anyway, please upload your sysprep  setupact.log and setuperr.log to confirm that. It located under

%WinDir%\System32\Sysprep\Panther.

Friday, August 4, 2017 1:52 AM
  • Maybe you're talking about a different thing.  If I have extra user folders here besides administrator, like "admin" (sid ends with -1001), sysprep may clean them up, but does not delete them:

C:\>dir users
     Volume in drive C has no label.
     Volume Serial Number is F81A-DB00

Directory of C:\users

08/04/2017  03:07 PM    <DIR>          .
    08/04/2017  03:07 PM    <DIR>          ..
    08/04/2017  07:15 AM    <DIR>          admin
    07/11/2017  06:04 PM    <DIR>          Public
                   0 File(s)              0 bytes
                   4 Dir(s)  167,348,436,992 bytes free

C:\>

setuperr.log is just:

2017-08-04 14:58:29, Error                 SYSPRP setupdigetclassdevs failed with error 0
    2017-08-04 14:58:38, Error                 SYSPRP ClipCleanUpState resetting WNF_OLIC_OS_LICENSE_TERMS_ACCEPTED failed with NTSTATUS=c0000022

setupact.log on onedrive:  https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhL-gRzwj0ISg0fnML9xXqfDZoXp

• Edited by JS2010 Friday, August 4, 2017 7:28 PM
    Friday, August 4, 2017 7:23 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for my mistake.

Based on my test on Windows 10 1703 domain joined computer, it only delete the administrator account and its user profile.

But after that, I can run RSOP on other local user account correctly.

Monday, August 7, 2017 8:29 AM