Word documents remain Read Only after being checked out. Unable to check in, or edit RRS feed

• Question

• I'm receiving several reports of an issue where users attempt to edit a file in a document library, most often word but not exclusively, and regardless of the check out status are unable to edit it.  This seems to occur regardless of where they check out (in the document library or via the message bar prompt in word).  We're using MOSS 2007 SP2 and Office 2007 suite.  I've had reports of this occuring with Word, Excel, and OneNote documents.  Bouncing our SQL servers seems to resolve this for a time but then it does inevitably come back.  There are several threads out there about an issue where the user is prompted that another user has the file locked and a user name is reported.  This issue is similar to that but without the reference to the "other user".  The other strange thing here is that it doesn't seem to affect the file itself but just the user, so other users can check the same file out and edit but the affected user cannot. Has anyone else experienced this and found a good solution? 

Friday, May 24, 2013 12:08 PM

All replies

• The response to this can be a little tricky but I'll explain as best I can.  There are two types of lock that can be applied to the file

1. One is done online (Document checking) and is done from within SharePoint
    2. Another is applied from within the Office.exe itself

If a file is locked down to someone in the fashion you describe, it means that they've had it open a while.  The referenced user will need to close the file for about 10 minutes for that "local" lock to be freed up.

Steven Andrews | SharePoint Professional | http://www.twitter.com/backpackerd00d | https://baron72.wordpress.com/

Sunday, May 26, 2013 9:58 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for the reply Steven. 

Unfortunately the answer you suggest has been proposed on other topics and is not applicable.  These userS receive the lock first thing in the morning before they have had a chance to open them and meet that "10 minute lock" you reference.  Would you be able to elaborate more on the document checking from within sharepoint?  As referenced in my OP, bouncing the SQL servers seems to resolve the issue for a while, but the SQL DBA will be looking for a reason as to why this works when I can't find any locks in the DB's.

I've seen a reference to clearing a "content.mso" directory in other threads that is on the local machine. Those reference the XP file structure, but can't find a corresponding file path for Windows 7 (not as simple as swaping out "users" for "docs & settings").   

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 2:57 PM
  • Let's look at the first point a little more.  The fact that the error message is seen first thing in the morning is potentially irrelevant.  Do your users shut down everynight?  If not, it's entirely feasile, they may just suspend / hibernate / crtl-alt-delete thier dekstops for the evening.

In that scenario, the lock would still be relevant.

Document checking is a concept that allows you to protect a document from being opened multiple times in edit mode.  In this scenario, the "last save wins" events happens, which invariably results in people overrideng each others work.

On the content.mso, I've hit the same problem as you have.  As it's an office cache, it could be in their installation directories.  I'll have a look and will come back if I find something on it.

Steven Andrews | SharePoint Professional | http://www.twitter.com/backpackerd00d | https://baron72.wordpress.com/

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 4:08 PM
    Answerer
  • To Clarify your point above.  Would the user experiencing the lock need to reboot to resolve, or all users that interacted with the file?  It sounds like there's an implied suggestion that the issue is on the client and a reboot will resolve.  If User A opens the file for more than 10 minutes, office releases lock 'A', User B opens the file for more than 10 minutes, then office releases lock 'B',  would User A be able to save the file back or would User B's lock still apply to A?  If User A reboots his PC he should be able to check out edit and check in I presume?  I'm almost certain this issue persists through a client reboot as this is the standard troubleshooting Tier 1 takes when receiving and issue but I will confirm with the user.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 11:52 AM
  • To Clarify your point above.  Would the user experiencing the lock need to reboot to resolve, or all users that interacted with the file?  It sounds like there's an implied suggestion that the issue is on the client and a reboot will resolve.  If User A opens the file for more than 10 minutes, office releases lock 'A', User B opens the file for more than 10 minutes, then office releases lock 'B',  would User A be able to save the file back or would User B's lock still apply to A?  If User A reboots his PC he should be able to check out edit and check in I presume?  I'm almost certain this issue persists through a client reboot as this is the standard troubleshooting Tier 1 takes when receiving and issue but I will confirm with the user.

confirmed that reboot does not have an affect.  Further, once a user starts to see the unable to check in/out issues, it seems to affect ALL office type documents (word, excel, onenote, powerpoint, etc)
    Wednesday, May 29, 2013 6:43 PM