none
Windows updates on exchange 2010 DAG

Question

• We have recently upgraded to Exchange 2010 SP! with one server as CAS/HTW/FSW and two mailbox servers on DAG.

We need to frequently apply windows updates on these servers.

Do I need to run maintenance scripts everytime for installing these updates (not rollups) or can I simply switch all the active databases to another server and let the servers restart.

What are the best practices and concerns.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 10:12 PM

Answers

• I would run the maintenance scripts to lessen the likelihood of having to reseed databases.  You can do the things those scripts do manually if you want.
    Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    • Marked as answer by Shireesh1 Friday, March 11, 2011 10:54 AM
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 10:32 PM
  • The Maintenance scripts only should be run when installing rollups. You need not run it if you only install general Windows related updates. However, if the server need be restarted after installing certain Windows update, I suggest you run the scripts to avoid some unexpected situation.

Thanks.

Novak Wu

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com  

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, March 11, 2011 8:52 AM

All replies

• I would run the maintenance scripts to lessen the likelihood of having to reseed databases.  You can do the things those scripts do manually if you want.
    Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 10:32 PM
  • The Maintenance scripts only should be run when installing rollups. You need not run it if you only install general Windows related updates. However, if the server need be restarted after installing certain Windows update, I suggest you run the scripts to avoid some unexpected situation.

Thanks.

Novak Wu

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com  

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, March 11, 2011 8:52 AM
  • Thanks Ed and Novak

Friday, March 11, 2011 10:56 AM