none
DPM 2012 Data Migration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have about 1.5 TB of DPM 2012 Storage Pool (in vmWare) in the cloud and I want to move it to the dedicated physical server on premise. I did sent 2 of USB External Hard Drive to the data center, 1 TB each.

• What is the best way to copy or migrate all DPM 2012 data in the DPM storage pool into USB External Hard drive? The idea is to copy it to external hard drive, ship it to my office and restore it into new DPM 2012 server on premise.
      • Since I only have 2 USB Hard Drives, 1 TB each, is there a way to split the DPM data into 2 USB hard drive for migration purposes.

FYI, the DPM 2012 server on premise would be new installation running Windows 2008 Standard R2.

Thank you for your help.

• Edited by arsyl Monday, September 17, 2012 6:14 AM
    Monday, September 17, 2012 5:11 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I'm not sure how many data sources you are dealing with but you could run dpmbackup -replicas, then copy everyting under the C:\program
    files\System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\Volumes\Shadowcopy folder to the USB drives.  The tricky part will be associating the data copied to the associated data sources so you can copy the appropriate data back on the new DPM server when doing the manual load.

You can run the below script to associate a data source to a mountt point path.

use DPMDB
    select ag.NetbiosName, ds.DataSourceName, vol.MountPointPath, ds.DataSourceId, vol.GuidName, vol.usage
    from tbl_IM_DataSource as ds
    join tbl_PRM_LogicalReplica as lr
    on ds.DataSourceId=lr.DataSourceId
    join tbl_AM_Server as ag
    on ds.ServerId=ag.ServerId
    join tbl_SPM_Volume as vol
    on lr.PhysicalReplicaId=vol.VolumeSetID
    and vol.Usage = 1

Hope this helps.

Closing for house cleaning purposes - open a new thread if you still require assistance.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 1:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

There is no real way to do what you want, it's best to retire the old vmware based DPM server and use it only for restores if needed and start over with the physical DPM Server.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 11:02 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thank you for the reply.

The problem to start over form fresh for new protections is amount of the data. I have 1.5 GB of data from the cloud that need to trasnfered to my server on premise.

Are there better way to do this then? I am thinking about manual replication for plan b. I don't have issue to do manual replication for files. What about manual replication for SQL Database, Bare Metal Recovery and System State?

Please help me with this.

Thank you.

• Edited by arsyl Wednesday, September 19, 2012 12:19 AM
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 12:15 AM
  • Hi,

I'm not sure how many data sources you are dealing with but you could run dpmbackup -replicas, then copy everyting under the C:\program
    files\System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\Volumes\Shadowcopy folder to the USB drives.  The tricky part will be associating the data copied to the associated data sources so you can copy the appropriate data back on the new DPM server when doing the manual load.

You can run the below script to associate a data source to a mountt point path.

use DPMDB
    select ag.NetbiosName, ds.DataSourceName, vol.MountPointPath, ds.DataSourceId, vol.GuidName, vol.usage
    from tbl_IM_DataSource as ds
    join tbl_PRM_LogicalReplica as lr
    on ds.DataSourceId=lr.DataSourceId
    join tbl_AM_Server as ag
    on ds.ServerId=ag.ServerId
    join tbl_SPM_Volume as vol
    on lr.PhysicalReplicaId=vol.VolumeSetID
    and vol.Usage = 1

Hope this helps.

Closing for house cleaning purposes - open a new thread if you still require assistance.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 1:53 PM