none
winpe boot RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am experiencing  long time to boot winpe  for certain vendor (adt 1709 and mdt 8450 ) 

using winpe 10 drivers  for that vendor would be an issue ? 

What if I load winpe 5 drivers also for that vendor ?

Thanks 

Thursday, May 31, 2018 2:39 AM

All replies

• The WinPE drivers used should match the version of ADK that you use. Your ADK is designed for Windows 10 so you should be using WinPE 10 drivers.

Such as WinPE 10 Driver Pack

Make sure only the needed WinPE drivers are added to your boot image. See for an example: MDT 2013 Lite Touch Driver Management That posting is from 2013 so trade out WinPE 5.0 for 10

Daniel Vega

• Edited by Dan_Vega Thursday, May 31, 2018 2:55 PM typo
    Thursday, May 31, 2018 2:55 PM
  • Hi,

If I have different vendors  such as hp ,dell lenovo , I must  download winpe drivers from all vendors  to the same folder ?

I am using  winpe 5 drivers for lenovo and winpe 10 for hp 

This could be an issue ?

Thanks

Saturday, June 2, 2018 8:03 AM
  • In my production MDT environment I have at least 7 vendors that I support. I don't add any drivers to WinPE unless its required.

ADK 10 uses a universal NIC driver, I have only added a few NIC drivers when required. I also have a few SCSI when the HDD isn't detected.

I do not add anything else since its not required for deploying.

Saturday, June 2, 2018 11:13 PM
  • Hi,

Can you explain winpe driver management  if it differs from the below article ? 

https://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/325/MDT-2013-Lite-Touch-Driver-Management

Thanks 

Sunday, June 3, 2018 8:24 PM
  • Just make sure your WinPE drivers match the version of ADK you are using. Start off with using the one from Dell I linked to. Why? Because it's in an easy to download cab file that can easily be imported into MDT. It will likely contain most of the drivers you need for multiple vendors. If it turns out you need more in PE, then you can add them as needed. WinPE just needs basic drivers, storage and network all the other drivers will be injected during imaging (use the total control method if possible) and used when Windows boots up.

Daniel Vega

Monday, June 4, 2018 1:40 PM
  • Hi,

I have only  HP and lenovo,

I have added lenovo win pe 5  drivers and hp drivers (win pe 10 ) ,

Are you suggesting just  remove the existing lenovo and hp drivers . And import only the  dell drivers

Can you explain the below 

"Just make sure your WinPE drivers match the version of ADK you are using" 

Thanks 

• Edited by supportsib Tuesday, June 5, 2018 7:08 AM edit
    Tuesday, June 5, 2018 6:19 AM
  • You are using an ADK built on Windows 10 (you said you were using version 1709) therefore you really need to be using drivers for that version of Windows. WinPE 5 was built for Windows 8.1

Download and install the Windows ADK

Daniel Vega

Tuesday, June 5, 2018 1:05 PM
  • Hi,

Is  it better to keep winpe  without a selection profile  ? . I mean instead of controlling  with a selection profile , just use the adk default .

When I was using adk default I did not have issue like  slow winpe booting for hp pc's 

Why we need a total control method for winpe since  most of the vendors required only 

PROWinx64.exe  for network   

Please advise 

Thanks 

• Edited by supportsib Tuesday, June 5, 2018 11:47 PM edit
    Tuesday, June 5, 2018 11:01 PM
  • Follow the guide MDT 2013 Lite Touch Driver Management just be sure to use WinPE/Windows 10 drivers

Daniel Vega

Wednesday, June 6, 2018 1:02 PM
  • Hi,

What I mean  instead of creating selection profile , can I go with the below settings 

Thanks 

Wednesday, June 6, 2018 1:27 PM
  • You could do that. Although you might end up with a large boot image and you won't have any control over which drivers get added.

Daniel Vega

Monday, June 11, 2018 2:13 PM