How to use Powerquery to extract web page data on Basic-Auth site? RRS feed

• Question

• I'd like to know how to extract date from Basic-Auth Web site by Excel with PowerQuery.

On my company, we are using Redmine as BTS, I'd like to export data from it by PowerQuerey.

Redmine is running on Basic-Auth Web site and Redmine also has independent Auth. I failed on Auth page on the PowerQuery wizard even set User/Password of the Baisc Auth wizard page of PowerQuery.

Does anyone know whether the powerquery  support Basic Auh? And if so, could you please tell me how to use/set the parameter

Best regards.

-S

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 8:15 AM

Answers

• You're trying to "scrape" a Redmine webpage? I'm afraid that we haven't been able to figure out how to make the Web.Page function work reliably with Basic authentication. If the site doesn't have any active content, you could try buffering the content in the middle with something like

=Web.Page(Binary.Buffer(Web.Contents("url")))

But if the site depends on JavaScript to fill out the DOM, this won't work.

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 7:02 PM

All replies

• You're trying to "scrape" a Redmine webpage? I'm afraid that we haven't been able to figure out how to make the Web.Page function work reliably with Basic authentication. If the site doesn't have any active content, you could try buffering the content in the middle with something like

=Web.Page(Binary.Buffer(Web.Contents("url")))

But if the site depends on JavaScript to fill out the DOM, this won't work.

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 7:02 PM
  • My question is simply usage of Excel with Powerquery to get the table in the Redmine on Basic Auth site (without programing).  On Non Basic-Auth site (e.g. Wiki), my environment is working properly, but from Redmine on the Basic-Auth site, Powerquery shows error of authentication. I’m not sure the my operation is wrong or Powerquery doesn’t support to retrieve data from specific Basic-Auth site like Redmine.

There are two kind auth information to access Redmine.

1. Basic Auth info
    2. Redmine Account login info.

How do I specify these info for Powerquery Wizard?

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 1:01 AM
  • As I said, Basic authentication isn't supported today for parsing web pages.
    Tuesday, October 11, 2016 5:17 PM