none
deleting local user profile on RDS without reboot

Question

• I need to delete the local profile for a user on our RDS server, because of a problem with this user.

Since the user was using RDS a few days ago, and RDS wasn’t rebooted since, I can’t delete the local profile. When I go to advanced system settings—user profiles. The ‘delete’ option is greyed out.

I know that I can reboot the server then will be able to delete it, but since this server is serving many users, it means they all have to stop using it.

Is there a way to delete this user’s profile without rebooting the server?

I use sever 2008 R2.

Thanks
    Monday, June 13, 2011 10:46 AM

Answers

• I think I answered my own question.

If you can't delete the local profile it is because the user is still logged on in disconnecetd state. What you need to do is to open Task Manager the log the user off. Then you will be able to delete his local profile from advanced system settings.

Hope it helps

• Marked as answer by Zivsh Thursday, June 23, 2011 11:07 AM
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 11:07 AM

All replies

• Hi,

A local user profile is created the first time a user logs on to a computer. The profile is stored on the computer's local hard disk. Changes made to the local user profile are specific to the user and to the computer on which the changes are made.

Windows security requires a user profile for each user account on a computer. The system automatically creates a local user profile for each user when the user logs on to the computer for the first time. The system automatically maintains the settings for each user's work environment in a user profile on the local computer.

Windows Vista and later: User profiles are managed through the User Accounts control (UAC) panel item.

You can open the Control Panel and click User Accounts, then click the Change User Account Control setting, dropped to the lowest turn off UAC. Press OK.

Then you can use administrator account try again to see whether you can delete the local user profile or not.

More information:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive/2009/06/02/user-profiles-on-windows-server-2008-r2-remote-desktop-services.aspx

Technology changes life……
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 3:29 AM
  • Thank you Dollar,

With all do respect this nothing to do with deleting local users profile. UAC help to prevent from malware to make changes to the computer under your account, and therefore windows prompt you if you would like to do this changes.

The problem I have is that some files are not released after the user logged on, only after a restart they are released and you can delete the local profile.

Since this is a RDS server and being use by many people, restarting the server is a problem.   

P.S. the problem is the same with earlier versions of Windows, I would like to know if there is a way around it.

Thanks

Thursday, June 16, 2011 8:57 AM
  • Try delete the profile directory under c:\users and in the registry HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Profilelist. Make sure that no programs are keeping files in use.
    Monday, June 20, 2011 1:29 PM
  • Hi,

I can't seem to reproduce the problem. It looks as if I can't delete the user's local profile on RDS server then I can open task manager and log off the user, then I am able to delete the user's profile, not need to restart the server.

I will keep monitoring it and see if it happens again.

Regards

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 1:16 PM
  • I think I answered my own question.

If you can't delete the local profile it is because the user is still logged on in disconnecetd state. What you need to do is to open Task Manager the log the user off. Then you will be able to delete his local profile from advanced system settings.

Hope it helps

• Marked as answer by Zivsh Thursday, June 23, 2011 11:07 AM
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 11:07 AM
  • Hi,

1º use PSGetSID to get the SID of the user account;

2º use ProcExp, open menu Find and choose Find Handle or DLL...;

3º paste the user SID (you may use only the last digits if you wich) and click Search;

4º Right Click the grayed lines in main Process Explorer windows and choose Close Handle.

This way the profile will not appear grayed out in "User Profiles" and you will not need to reboot your RDS server.

Sometimes the profile doesn't appear in User Profiles but the folder C:\users (depends on windows version)\%username% still exists and may be a good idea to delete it in this case also.

You may search registry for the user account SID also and delete those entries too.

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 9:41 AM