none
SharePoint Retention Policy workflow does not start

Question

• Hi,

Using Nintex workflows I have created a workflow and attached it to a content type and tested that it runs manually ok.  I want it to run according to a retention policy, and so I created a policy based on one of the content type's date fields to start my workflow automatically.  When I manually run the timer jobs I see the following error in ULS logs and the workflow does not start.  Interestingly if I amend the policy to do something simple like move the item to the recycle bin, that works fine.

Can anyone suggest what is wrong and where I can go from here to find the issue?

Thanks

Error running the expiration action on item <document url> .  Error:  System.InvalidOperationException: The workflow with id=<workflow id > is no longer available.    
     at Microsoft.Office.RecordsManagement.PolicyFeatures.WorkflowExpirationAction.RunExpirationWithPostActions(SPListItem item, XmlNode parametersData, DateTime expireDate)    
     at Microsoft.Office.RecordsManagement.PolicyFeatures.BaseExpirationAction.Microsoft.Office.RecordsManagement.PolicyFeatures.IExpirationActionWithPostActions.OnExpirationWithPostActions(SPListItem item, XmlNode parametersData, DateTime expireDate)    
     at Microsoft.Office.RecordsManagement.PolicyFeatures.ExpirationTask.ExpirationActionData.RunExpirationAction(SPListItem item, DateTime expireDate)    
     at Microsoft.Office.RecordsManagement.PolicyFeatures.ExpirationTask.<>c__DisplayClass19.<ProcessExpiredItems>b__17(SPListItem item)    
     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Utilities.MonitoredScopeWrapper.RunWithMonitoredScope(Action code)    
     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Utilities.ContentIterator.ProcessItem(SPListItem item, Boolean fIncludeFolderItems, MonitoredScopeWrapper monitoredScopeWrapper, ItemProcessor itemProcessor, ItemProcessorErrorCallout errorCallout)
    Monday, February 23, 2015 3:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on your description, my understanding is that the Retention Policy cannot start the Nintex workflow.

To narrow the issue scope, I recommend to check the things below:

1. Create a SharePoint 2010 Reusable workflow for the same content type or 2013 list workflow and modify the Retention Policy to start this workflow, and then check how it works.
    2. Create Retention Policy with the Nintex workflow in another list and then compare the results.
    Thanks,
    Victoria
    Forum Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Victoria Xia
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, February 26, 2015 4:28 AM
  • Hi,

Thank-you for your reply.  I now have confirmation that this is currently an issue with Nintex workflow.

• Marked as answer by AnotherMSUser Thursday, February 26, 2015 8:12 AM
    Thursday, February 26, 2015 8:12 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description, my understanding is that the Retention Policy cannot start the Nintex workflow.

To narrow the issue scope, I recommend to check the things below:

1. Create a SharePoint 2010 Reusable workflow for the same content type or 2013 list workflow and modify the Retention Policy to start this workflow, and then check how it works.
    2. Create Retention Policy with the Nintex workflow in another list and then compare the results.
    Thanks,
    Victoria
    Forum Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Victoria Xia
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, February 26, 2015 4:28 AM
  • Hi,

Thank-you for your reply.  I now have confirmation that this is currently an issue with Nintex workflow.

• Marked as answer by AnotherMSUser Thursday, February 26, 2015 8:12 AM
    Thursday, February 26, 2015 8:12 AM
  • I dont think that 2013 workflows are allowed to be called in retention policy. Only 2010 workflows are allowed it seems.

Regards

• Proposed as answer by Saurabh Shankar Thursday, November 05, 2015 5:56 PM
    Thursday, November 05, 2015 10:45 AM