none
MS Project - Modifying resources RRS feed

• Question

• I have a project in progress and need to change the resources from team names or vague names to actual names. What is the best way to handle this? Do I delete existing resources and start from scratch or is better to continue to add resources from wherever I left off previously. Also, based on industry standards is it better to order resources alphabetically or based on hierarchy within a project. 
    Friday, January 26, 2018 5:06 PM

Answers

• Jim2018 --

In the Resource Sheet view of your project, simply replace the team names or vague names with the names of the real people who are working in the project.  This is on the assumption that these real people have actually done the work assigned to the team name resources.

I would NOT recommend deleting the existing resources and starting over, especially if you have saved a baseline for this project.  You did save a baseline, right?

As far as the sorting of names in the Resource Sheet view, my personal preference is alphabetical.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Jim2018 Monday, January 29, 2018 12:29 AM
    Friday, January 26, 2018 5:27 PM
  • Jim2018 --

Apply the Gantt Chart view and then click the View tab to display the View ribbon.  In the Split View section of the ribbon, select the Details checkbox to display the Task Entry view with the Gantt Chart in the top pane and the Task Form in the bottom pane.

In the Gantt Chart pane, select the task in question.  In the Task Form pane, set the Task Type for this task to Fixed Duration and then click the OK button.  In the Task Form pane, add all of the resources who will work on this task and enter a Work value of 2h for each of them.  Click the OK button.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, January 26, 2018 8:10 PM

All replies

• Jim2018 --

In the Resource Sheet view of your project, simply replace the team names or vague names with the names of the real people who are working in the project.  This is on the assumption that these real people have actually done the work assigned to the team name resources.

I would NOT recommend deleting the existing resources and starting over, especially if you have saved a baseline for this project.  You did save a baseline, right?

As far as the sorting of names in the Resource Sheet view, my personal preference is alphabetical.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, January 26, 2018 5:27 PM
  • Much appreciated, thanks!
    Friday, January 26, 2018 6:05 PM
  • Another question - 

What is the best way to represent multiple resources to a fixed duration task (10 days), but the actual task may only take 2 hours. I should have prefaced this earlier, but this is a duration based schedule. For example, Management Review has a 10 day duration to complete the activity, but it may take roughly 2 hours to complete this review. Thoughts?

Friday, January 26, 2018 7:06 PM
  • Jim2018 --

Apply the Gantt Chart view and then click the View tab to display the View ribbon.  In the Split View section of the ribbon, select the Details checkbox to display the Task Entry view with the Gantt Chart in the top pane and the Task Form in the bottom pane.

In the Gantt Chart pane, select the task in question.  In the Task Form pane, set the Task Type for this task to Fixed Duration and then click the OK button.  In the Task Form pane, add all of the resources who will work on this task and enter a Work value of 2h for each of them.  Click the OK button.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, January 26, 2018 8:10 PM
  • Thanks again :)
    Friday, January 26, 2018 8:56 PM
  • Jim2018 --

If one of my posts answered your question, would you please mark my reply as the answer?  Thanks!

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, January 26, 2018 10:08 PM
  • From your example, I can see what you mean by a "duration based schedule", but this term really does not have an "official" definition (if you know what I mean). There is no need to make the distinction between "duration based" and whatever else based there might be. The unnecessary qualification just makes things more complicated than they really are.

The task has a 10 day duration, and within that 10 days there is 2 hours of work somewhere by someone. And, BTW, the "actual task" "takes" 10 days.

It may not even be necessary to assign a resource to it, or have any work in it. Just the duration estimate might suffice. You may not be interested in the 2 hours of work, unless you are interested in knowing how much work that management does in the review and may not be interested in the resource overallocation, if any.

BTW again, it is not necessary to make the task into a fixed duration task unless you are changing the work, units or duration.

Saturday, January 27, 2018 8:55 AM
  • Dale in your earlier post you mentioned:

"Apply the Gantt Chart view and then click the View tab to display the View ribbon.  In the Split View section of the ribbon, select the Details checkbox to display the Task Entry view with the Gantt Chart in the top pane and the Task Form in the bottom pane.

In the Gantt Chart pane, select the task in question.  In the Task Form pane, set the Task Type for this task to Fixed Duration and then click the OK button.  In the Task Form pane, add all of the resources who will work on this task and enter a Work value of 2h for each of them.  Click the OK button."

This was very helpful!

Question - If I apply above concept to one activity, is there a simpler way to do this for multiple activities. Copying doesn't seem to work. If I have a recurringactivity with above scenario, I was wondering if there was a simpler quick way to accomplish this rather than modifying each activity.

Thursday, February 1, 2018 9:47 PM