RAID0 Drives don't show, or disappear when partitioning while Installing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I'm installing a RAID array for the first time, and got stuck in Windows 7 installation. I've got an Asus Sabertooth 990FX Motherboard and I set the AMD controlled SATA ports to RAID, using the legacy RAID ROM option (UEFI ROM Option just doesn't work at all) On reboot I pressed Ctrl+F and set up the RAID 0 system on my two HDDs and proceeded to OS installation.

After being promted  for some "missing drivers" I pointed the installation program to the AHCI RAID Drivers on my USB Stick and kept going. When I got to the storage selection screen I could see my two drives Array as a single Unit, and I clicked on drive options and new to partition the space. When I did so the units disappeared from the screen and I got a "no drives" warning, so I loaded the driver again to see a 100Mb partition and the rest of the storage as unallocated space. When I clicked on New again to create a partition using the whole space, the unit disappeared again, so I keep looping through the same scenario.

Anyone had this problem? As I said this is my first RAID setup, so I might have skipped some important step, but I haven't found any info at all regarding this particular issue, or a guide using my motherboard or BIOS.

If you read this far.... thank you :)

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 2:08 PM

Answers

• I did install the RAID driver, I typed AHCI by mistake :) 

Thanks for pointing me to ASUS support, I'll try there, but since I can see the RAID setup in the BIOS and it appears among the boot devices, I thought the issue of the drives disappearing during Windows Installation was a software issue. 

• Edited by Mura_ Wednesday, May 16, 2012 6:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mura_ Wednesday, May 16, 2012 6:11 PM
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 6:10 PM

All replies

• I think you shoudl have read the User's Manual carefully before you embarked on this project.

On page 4-35 of the English manual, it states to select the RAID drivers, not the AHCI drivers.

So, it seems you did not configure the hardware correctly for what you want.

If this is not the case, then you must contact ASUS Technical Support for more information.

Installing hardware RAID is not a Windows functions, it is a hardware configuration function.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 3:50 PM
  • I did install the RAID driver, I typed AHCI by mistake :) 

Thanks for pointing me to ASUS support, I'll try there, but since I can see the RAID setup in the BIOS and it appears among the boot devices, I thought the issue of the drives disappearing during Windows Installation was a software issue. 

• Edited by Mura_ Wednesday, May 16, 2012 6:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mura_ Wednesday, May 16, 2012 6:11 PM
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 6:10 PM