Server 2016 Servers not auto installing updates RRS feed

• Question

• Although I have a GPO set with Auto Updating set to 4- Auto download and schedule the install, the 2016 servers are not auto installing these update or if they do install, they are not rebooting, so I am force to logon and kick off the install.

The WSUS Server is a Windows 2012 R2 Server and all other clients seem in install and reboot per the GPO.

Please advise,

Friday, April 12, 2019 9:22 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for posting here.
    Based on your description, I recommend starting troubleshooting by following these steps:

• On the Windows Server 2016 server, to use CMD as an administrator, enter the following command:
      gpresult /h c:\gpo.htm
      This will generate a report named gpo.htm under the C: partition. Open gpo.htm and check the Windows Components / Windows Updates section to see if the applied policy is correct.

• If you need to automatically restart after the client completes the critical update, the following policies need to be configured:
      [Always automatically restart at the scheduled time] - Set Enabled
      [No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations] - Set Disabled
      [Enabling Windows Update Power Management to automatically wake up the computer to install scheduled updates] - Set Enabled

Reply back with the results would be happy to help.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 15, 2019 3:34 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

What would happen if the server was still in the middle of the patch install? Would it reboot or finish the install first.

I don't think this will interrupt the current update installation. If policy [Always automatically restart at the scheduled time] is configured, the system will start the restart timer immediately after the update is completed, not in the process.

The servers vary in the amount of time that they take to perform the install.  Should I just set it for a time that I know all servers have completed the install?

The restart action occurs after the update is completed (provided the update requires a reboot to complete the installation). So you need to configure the appropriate installation time in the policy [Configure Automatic Updates], it is best not to affect your work.

If I don't understand your requirements well, any questions and explanations are welcome.

Regards,
    Yic

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 7:51 AM

All replies

• Am 12.04.2019 schrieb Server 2016 WSUS clients are not auto
    installing:

Although I have a GPO set with Auto Updating set to 4- Auto download and schedule the install, the 2016 servers are not auto installing these update or if they do install, they are not rebooting, so I am force to logon and kick off the install.

The WSUS Server is a Windows 2012 R2 Server and all other clients seem in install and reboot per the GPO.

Pls show us all GPO-Settings für W2016.

Winfried

WSUS Package Publisher:
    https://github.com/DCourtel/Wsus_Package_Publisher
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/bb332157.aspx
    http://www.wsuswiki.com/Home
    GP-PACK - PRIVACY AND TELEMETRIE: http://www.gp-pack.com/

Saturday, April 13, 2019 8:58 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for posting here.
    Based on your description, I recommend starting troubleshooting by following these steps:

• On the Windows Server 2016 server, to use CMD as an administrator, enter the following command:
      gpresult /h c:\gpo.htm
      This will generate a report named gpo.htm under the C: partition. Open gpo.htm and check the Windows Components / Windows Updates section to see if the applied policy is correct.

• If you need to automatically restart after the client completes the critical update, the following policies need to be configured:
      [Always automatically restart at the scheduled time] - Set Enabled
      [No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations] - Set Disabled
      [Enabling Windows Update Power Management to automatically wake up the computer to install scheduled updates] - Set Enabled

Reply back with the results would be happy to help.

Regards,
    Yic

Monday, April 15, 2019 3:34 AM
  • Thank you!  I believe that this may help me.  What would happen if the server was still in the middle of the patch install? Would it reboot or finish the install first. The servers vary in the amount of time that they take to perform the install.  Should I just set it for a time that I know all servers have completed the install?

Thanks,

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 5:43 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

What would happen if the server was still in the middle of the patch install? Would it reboot or finish the install first.

I don't think this will interrupt the current update installation. If policy [Always automatically restart at the scheduled time] is configured, the system will start the restart timer immediately after the update is completed, not in the process.

The servers vary in the amount of time that they take to perform the install.  Should I just set it for a time that I know all servers have completed the install?

The restart action occurs after the update is completed (provided the update requires a reboot to complete the installation). So you need to configure the appropriate installation time in the policy [Configure Automatic Updates], it is best not to affect your work.

If I don't understand your requirements well, any questions and explanations are welcome.

Regards,
    Yic

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 7:51 AM
  • Hi,

Any update is welcome here.
    If the issue is resolved, share your solution or find the helpful response "Mark as Answer" to help other community members find the answer.

Thank you for your cooperation, as always.

Regards,
    Yic

Friday, April 19, 2019 6:28 AM
  • I'm almost certain that you've answered my questions.  I won't know for sure until my next patch release the 28th or if I get the time to create a test bed of servers to test before then.  I went ahead and marked the question as answered.

Thank you!

Friday, April 19, 2019 12:28 PM