none
Issue with Group Policy to create Home Folder and Map Network Drive

Question

• I am running into a strange issue trying to implement group policies to create a home folder for a user on the server and then mapping that folder to a drive on their PC.
    I setup one policy that creates a folder on the server and then I have another policy that maps the user's H drive to this folder.

I am following this guide: http://www.alexcomputerbubble.com/using-group-policy-preferences-gpp-to-map-user-home-drive

The problem is that the drive map does not work until the user logs off and logs back in 2 more times. I have confirmed the folder is created on first logon and can be manually mapped (no permissions issues) yet the drive is not mapped and instead an error is posted in event viewer.

The event id is 4098 with the error code 0x800704d0 - "The network location cannot be reached."
    The 2nd time the user logs in there is no more error logged but the drive still doesn't show up.
    The 3rd time user logs on the drive is mapped and working correctly

Home Folder Policy:

Home Folder Policy

Drive Map Policy:

This is what I have tried so far (unsuccessfully)
    - Changing the variable from %LogOnUser% to %username%
    - Mapping directly to the FQDN of the server directly as opposed to DFS namespace
    - Enabling/disabling both the drive map reconnect option and "run in logged-on user's context" option
    - Changing the link order of of the policies so that the folder creation policy is processed before the map drive policy
    - Enabling "Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon"

Wednesday, March 16, 2016 7:26 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,
    Please check if the link order of 2 GPOs are set up correctly and make sure that the GPO for creating home folder is on top of the second one.

As we know, GPP applies during computer starting and user logon process. If the order is not correct, in my experience, this behavior is normal and expected.  The GPO for mapping drive is not able to detect the needed home folder before the GPO for creating a home folder is applied. So the first log on is used for creating home folder. In this case, the second logon process is needed for applying GPO to map drive. Besides, drive mapping always requires a log off/log on. So the third logon happens.

Regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 18, 2016 6:32 AM
  • > - Changing the link order of of the policies so that the folder creation
    > policy is processed before the map drive policy

This doesn't change anything. The primary processing order on a client
    computer is the order of the CSEs. Each CSE in turn receives a list of
    GPOs that contain settings for them to process.

Monday, March 21, 2016 11:09 AM