none
Fast Search Results Page doesn't show PDF after configuring iFilter RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have the following small sized farm, all servers are provided with Widnows Server 2008 R2, all servers below are seperate machines:

1. SQL Server 2008 R2

2. 1 x SharePoint Application Server 2010: it has the Fast search and search foundation services started, patched with February 2012 CU

3. 1 x Web Front End SharePoint 2010: it has the fast search enabled , search foundation is disabled, patched with February 2012 CU

4. 1 x Fast Search Server for SharePoint 2010, patched with SP1.

In order to support the pdf, I have followed many threads and guides to verify my actions, here are a list of them:

1. Add the pdficn.png to all SharePoint 2010 servers, Application Server and Web Front End, in the following location:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\IMAGES 

2. Add the following Mapping entry in the docicon.xml, I stopped the IIS, and after adding the icon I started the IIS

<Mapping Key="pdf" Value="pdficn.gif"/>

3. Create registry entries in the both Application Server and Web Front End, following Microsoft's article

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2293357

4. IISreset for both SharePoint Machines.

4. I have restarted the search service for fast, reset the index for the Content Query Service, and recrawled again.

Still I have the search results are not displaying the pdf and it uses the custom list icon in, and when I click on the link, it takes me to the List Entry instead of the document itself, in the document library I can see the "Edit in Acrobat" and the icon appears normally. Why doesn't it appear in the search result itself?

Is there any extra pointers to this problem? I don't know if these are different problems or they are indicating to the same issue.

Thank you,

Monday, March 26, 2012 10:03 AM

Answers

• Hi Sohaib,

FS4SP will index pdf files by default. No need to install an ifilter or perform any custom configuration. Also make a note that the file extension list on the FAST Content SSA is an exclude list, not an include list. If you added pdf to this list, this is why you are not getting any results.

Regards,
    Mikael Svenson

Search Enthusiast - SharePoint MVP/WCF4/ASP.Net4
    http://techmikael.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 10:57 AM

All replies

• Hi Sohaib,

FS4SP will index pdf files by default. No need to install an ifilter or perform any custom configuration. Also make a note that the file extension list on the FAST Content SSA is an exclude list, not an include list. If you added pdf to this list, this is why you are not getting any results.

Regards,
    Mikael Svenson

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 10:57 AM
  • Hi Micheal,

Thank you for this important point.

I will try to remove it and reply back. I hope that I can see the pdf itself instead of a list item.aspx?dispForm=xx

Thank you,

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 9:34 PM
  • Many thanks.

The Only issue now is that the Search results doesn't show the Icon as PDF. It is showing a SharePoint list Item Icon. I will post it in another thread.

Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:00 AM
  • Hi,

That should be solved by fixing the docicon.xml file. But the icons are loaded as follows:

The icon is chosen first based on the "contentclass" managed property, secondly on the extension of the URL. If you create a crawled property and populate it with a name matching what icon you want, and map that to contentclass you should be all set. Eg, if it's a word document you could set the contentclass to "doc" and it will use the icon doc16.gif from \14\TEMPLATE\IMAGES.

If the PDF is an attachment to a list item, you would probably have to fix the contentclass, or modify your XSLT.

Regards,
    Mikael Svenson

Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:18 AM