none
DHCP ISSUE and Network dropping RRS feed

• Question

• hello members, i have a situation and am seeking for a solution... let me first explain my network... we occupied the entire floor and we have three segments of network (in form of wings; ICT wing, FIN wing and MGT wing) FIN and MGT connects to ICT wing for network and other resources, we have a Windows 2012 r2 server that acts as our DHCP, AD, DNS server and its the Gateway for our network but of late, its acting funny. users from FIN and MGT randomly get off network and i dont know why? when i checked the server it showed the LAN port is limited yet its IP is statically assigned. when troubleshooted and re-assign the IP.. it can come back to normal but it cant last for a full day..... i got another machine and installed windows server 2012 r2 and it only worked for yesterday but today its doing the same thing..

My question is? is it windows or machines that causing some people off network from other wings while others on the same wing with the server to staying on or what?

Wednesday, July 26, 2017 10:13 AM

All replies

• Hi albug2k,

According to my understanding and researching, You have 3 network segments(ICT,FIN,MGT) and ICT segment has a server 2012r2, acted as AD, DHCP,DNS roles.

When access ICT resources from your FIN and MGT segments, the network connectivity accidently lost. And after you modified the 2012r2 DHCP server’s static address this issue will gone for a while.

If I’m misunderstand, please don’t hesitate to tell me.

For this issue, I suggest you could capture network packages on both DHCP server and one of the DHCP clients for further analyze.

As this issue happened occasionally, I suggest you could use netsh.exe  command to capture, meanwhile, the net monitor tool is also useful.

Below is a sample for using netsh.exe command:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/canberrapfe/2012/03/30/capture-a-network-trace-without-installing-anything-capture-a-network-trace-of-a-reboot/

Besides, could you please share your DHCP logs under winevent?

Best regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 28, 2017 7:42 AM
  • Hi albug2k,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 21, 2017 9:16 AM