existing file not found in indexed location when searching via windows explorer RRS feed

• Question

• i have an indexed folder and three documents in this folder: philosophy_1.png, philosophy_2.png and philosophy_answers.doc. when i type philosophy in the explorer's searchbox it shows me philosophy_1.png and philosophy_2.png, but not philosophy_answers.doc. when i check an option "don't use the index when searching in the folder for system files (searches might take longer)" (tools->folder options->search) explorer finds the file. my folder and the file are not system and index is alowed for all the files in this folder. also the file is found if i search via the searchbox in start menu. maybe this is because that file was created after including the folder to index, but it is not normal anyway. who has any ideas about it?
    Saturday, August 8, 2009 2:20 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

In order to perform fast and accurate searches, Windows collects information about files on your computer. This information is stored in the index. Periodically, Windows needs to update the index. If you perform a search while the index is being updated, the results might be out of date.

Best Regards.

Dale Qiao

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Monday, August 10, 2009 2:22 PM
    Monday, August 10, 2009 2:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

In order to perform fast and accurate searches, Windows collects information about files on your computer. This information is stored in the index. Periodically, Windows needs to update the index. If you perform a search while the index is being updated, the results might be out of date.

Best Regards.

Dale Qiao

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Monday, August 10, 2009 2:22 PM
    Monday, August 10, 2009 2:57 AM
  • hi, thanks for your reply. maybe you are right, because now i can find my file normally, but a few days ago i could not do that. at the same time i could normally and quickly (~ 1 second) find the file using searchbox in the start menu, so i think the index was used. i created my file a few days before i tried to find it, is it possible that index was not updated during two or three days after file creation?
    Monday, August 10, 2009 9:04 AM
  • Still a problem.

subject file, 'IMG_4020.jpg' is located on an external USB hard drive enclosure containing a WDC WD2500BEVT-80A23T0, in a subfolder of 'Photo' which is listed on Indexing Options, Included Locations.

Subject file was created on 3/20/2015, was copied from camera to it's current location two months ago.
    External hard drive has been connected and available for tens of hours, including at least ten hours of non-user (system mostly idle) time during the two months since the file was placed in the Indexed location.

Neither Explorer search box, nor Start Button search box finds the file when I search for 'IMG_4020'.

Why?

Should not Windows immediately (surely within a minute) index at least the properties of a newly created file?

At present Windows Search is worse than useless. It does harm by providing false answers.

Thursday, May 28, 2015 10:22 PM