Color Control RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Forum Members,

Hope you're well. I've used computers since 1980. I've just upgraded to Win7Home Premium from XP PRO. I have several questions about controlling on-screen colors. These questions do not involve shades or values.

To reduce eye strain, I prefer a black desktop and application background, with white letters. However, I cannot apply that choice uniformly throughout Win 7. For example, when I list drive contents, document titles are in white letters, on a white background, and so invisible. Yet, in that same listing, document parameters appear, in black on a white background. I want all parameters to appear - title, date created, etc. - in white, on a black background. How do I do this?

Further, when I select "White" for the "Window Text" ("Active Window"), I automatically get "White" for "Message Text" in the "Message Box". Is there a way to de-link these choices? 

In short, color choices for each parameter should be independent, and - once chosen - should apply uniformly throughout the platform. If someone wants white letters on a black background, then all screens in Win 7 should so appear. Absent that, some screens' content cannot be read without highlighting. Sometimes, that does not work: in some cases, I see a black box, when I highlight.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

Yours faithfully,

Topspook 

• Edited by Ronnie VernonMVP Friday, August 6, 2010 10:08 PM Removed extraneous text and offsite content
    Friday, August 6, 2010 3:36 PM

Answers

• Hi Topspook,

If you would like to use the black background, we have to manually set the “Message Box” color as black or other deep color.

Regarding the automatically assigned color for "Message Text" in the "Message Box", I suggest referring to the following link to change the detailed items’ colors which you prefer:

Change Window Borders, Start Menu, Taskbar Colors, and Toggle Transparency

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Also, We will escalate this issue to our related team and hope it will be fixed in the near future.

Regards,

Sabrina

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Friday, August 13, 2010 9:46 AM
    Monday, August 9, 2010 9:35 AM