delete disk drives from the send to menu RRS feed

• Question

• my previous attempt to get an anwer to this was interrupted by the thread getting locked but i am still loooking for an answer to the question. the issue: the send to menu contains options you can edit or add to. BUT it also has at the bottom a list of all your disk drives including rather surprisingly the optical drives. where are the settings for this stored, ie how would one go about removing one or more of the disk drives from this list.
    thanks.
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 3:02 PM

Answers

• my previous attempt to get an anwer to this was interrupted by the thread getting locked but i am still loooking for an answer to the question. the issue: the send to menu contains options you can edit or add to. BUT it also has at the bottom a list of all your disk drives including rather surprisingly the optical drives. where are the settings for this stored, ie how would one go about removing one or more of the disk drives from this list.
    thanks.
    Hi gbr2

Go to the following website:

Send To Context Menu - Remove or Show Drive Letters:

This tutorial will show you how to remove all of the drive letters from that right click sendto menu. The tutorial was written for Vista, but I have tested it and it works in Windows 7.

Use the Option One - Through a Download. Download the registry file to the Desktop and double click to merge into the registry.

After you merge the registry file, Log Off / Log On to the computer.

NOTE: If you use 'Option Two: The Manual Way' to remove the drive letters in that tutorial, you will need to create the 'Explorer' Key that appears in Step 4 of that tutorial. To do this, with the Policies key selected, right click and select New: Key. Name the new key Explorer. Select the new Explorer key and continue with Step 5.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 5:42 PM

All replies

• Click the Windows Orb (Start), type shell:sendto and press Enter. Then right-click > Delete any unwanted items.

• Proposed as answer by .ripov Saturday, March 26, 2011 12:05 AM
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 3:11 PM

• Burrly, did you try that?

Nah, he didn't because it shows all but the things asked for (the disks). lol
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 3:44 PM
  • It’s the conventional route to add and remove shortcuts from the Send To menu. To add a shortcut, click the Windows Orb (Start), type shell:sendto and press Enter. Then right-click white space > New > Shortcut > Browse to the HDD (say F), change the Name (optional) > Next.

To remove, right-click it > Delete as above. It works for me.

• Edited by BurrWalnut Sunday, September 6, 2009 5:47 PM
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 5:14 PM
  • Try adding a shortcut to a drive as above and then delete it.

I've just done it!

Sunday, September 6, 2009 5:32 PM
    thanks.
    Hi gbr2

Go to the following website:

This tutorial will show you how to remove all of the drive letters from that right click sendto menu. The tutorial was written for Vista, but I have tested it and it works in Windows 7.

Use the Option One - Through a Download. Download the registry file to the Desktop and double click to merge into the registry.

After you merge the registry file, Log Off / Log On to the computer.

NOTE: If you use 'Option Two: The Manual Way' to remove the drive letters in that tutorial, you will need to create the 'Explorer' Key that appears in Step 4 of that tutorial. To do this, with the Policies key selected, right click and select New: Key. Name the new key Explorer. Select the new Explorer key and continue with Step 5.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon MVP
  • If I right-click on any shortcut on the Desktop, it's present, not Computer or the Bin though. Go to a file or folder and the Send To will be there, pointing to the drive you have set up.

This has been in existence since at least WinXP, before that I can’t remember.

• Go to the following website:

Wow, that's great Ronnie.  Except, I just want to selectively remove this artifact DVD E: from there.  That method seems to remove all drives.

I still want to keep my flash drives &tc in there.  Got any more suggestions?

Sunday, September 6, 2009 5:52 PM
  • Wow, that's great Ronnie.  Except, I just want to selectively remove this artifact DVD E: from there.  That method seems to remove all drives.

I still want to keep my flash drives &tc in there.  Got any more suggestions?

Hi

Complete the previous registry edit to remove all of the drives from the SendTo menu.

You can then selectively create a shortcut to any drive and place it in the C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo folder and it will still appear in the SendTo menu.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 6:11 PM

• Complete the previous registry edit to remove all of the drives from the SendTo menu.

You can then selectively create a shortcut to any drive... ...in the SendTo menu.

Well, ok.  ...then the flashdrives are fixed in the SendTo menu.  I liked it better when they dynamically appeared only when the flashdrive is plugged in.  But if there's to be a tradeoff, that is much better than having that useless DVD Drive E: always present in there.  Much better!

Since I practically always access the one-and-same folder on the flashdrive, I made the shortcut to that folder in SendTo.  It works.   :)

Thanks!

...one thing, though.  I just checked two different VistaSP2 computers.  Neither has the registry key that is specified by those instructions:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

So I had to create  ...\Explorer key prior to adding the value NoDrivesInSendToMenu = DWORD 1

But it worked.  Now I will be happy all day.

Sunday, September 6, 2009 6:49 PM

• Complete the previous registry edit to remove all of the drives from the SendTo menu.

You can then selectively create a shortcut to any drive... ...in the SendTo menu.

Well, ok.  ...then the flashdrives are fixed in the SendTo menu.  I liked it better when they dynamically appeared only when the flashdrive is plugged in.  But if there's to be a tradeoff, that is much better than having that useless DVD Drive E: always present in there.  Much better!

Since I practically always access the one-and-same folder on the flashdrive, I made the shortcut to that folder in SendTo.  It works.   :)

Thanks!

...one thing, though.  I just checked two different VistaSP2 computers.  Neither has the registry key that is specified by those instructions:

So I had to create  ...\Explorer key prior to adding the value NoDrivesInSendToMenu = DWORD 1

Hi

Yeah, I noticed that Key was missing in Windows 7 also, I'll edit those instructions in case someone wants to use the manual steps in that tutorial.

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 7:24 PM

• It actually is very nice!

I mean, unless somebody likes doing a SendTo to the root of a drive, I don't see any point in having drives dynamically appear in SendTo anyway.  So, turning that off is no loss at all, really.  And as BurrWalnut suggested, putting shortcuts in to SendTo that point directly to drives' folders is very handy.

Again, thanks.

Sunday, September 6, 2009 7:50 PM

• Here is a way to make the SendTo folder easily accessible from the W.Explorer left Navigation Pane (directory tree).

It is actually a Junction there, ie, an alias to the folder C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo.  That Junction has Security Special Privileges reduced for Everyone so that it cannot be directly clicked and used as a regular folder.  It's easily changed so it does behave like a normal folder.  If it is not immediately visible in the Nav Pane, first enable viewing Hidden files and Protected O/S files via Folder Options.  Then, upon finding SendTo in the W.Explorer directory tree, right-click it, then:

Properties > Security > [Advanced] > [Edit] > [Edit]   change the checkmark box for  Everyone  List folder / read data   from  Deny  to  Allow.

It might still be a hidden folder.  If so, either make Hidden files and Protected O/S files viewable in Folder Options when you want access to it, else remove the SendTo Junction's Hidden System-attributes.  To do that, run Command Prompt as Administrator.  Then type:

CD \users\yourusername

ATTRIB  /L -S -H SendTo

Now you can use your userprofile SendTo like any other folder in W.Explorer.  You know, drag-n-drop, cut-n-paste.  Everything.

• Edited by dеrosnеcBanned Friday, September 11, 2009 7:32 AM added: unhide protected o/s files
    Monday, September 7, 2009 3:04 PM
  • Or you could drag it (C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo) to favorites in the left hand pane of explorer if your wondering whatever is going on in the post above this one.

Monday, September 7, 2009 10:05 PM
  • All I did was drag it to the left.

Monday, September 7, 2009 10:40 PM
  • AllI did was drag it to the left, for that matter I have no idea what you did.

• Edited by ONE ZERO Monday, September 7, 2009 11:05 PM
    Monday, September 7, 2009 10:57 PM
  • op here returning to computer after a day at work. thanks ronnie for the answer to my question. thank you derosnec for focusing the discussion to actually answer the question i asked. also for reminding me to make sendto shortcuts to subdirectories (i hate that folder terminology). i've done it all. problem solved.

now that i'm (coming from xp) on top of sendto and the start menu (finally figured out how to put on documents rather than just programs) i'll be moving on to context menus.
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 1:28 AM
  • Derosnec, there are 4 SendTo folders on my Windows 7 system:

Directory of C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows
    Directory of C:\Users\myuserid\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows
    Directory of C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows
    Directory of C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows

Was what you showed for Vista and  not Windows 7?

Thanks
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 2:24 AM

• Yes, I am referencing Vista, and it also has a few SendTo folders.  No, what I explained is not limited to Vista.

I am not sure, but I think you are asking why Search didn't turn-up the SendTo junction I discussed?  I will frankly admit I am not good at getting Search to find Hidden System files, but here's a conventional method that might work:  In Folder Options View tab, enable showing Hidden Files and also enable showing Protected Operating System Files.  I believe you'll also find in Folder Options Search tab an option to search System Directories.  Try enabling that too.  Then conduct the search for SendTo and see what turns up.

A more direct method would be simply to run Command Prompt as Administrator, then type:

DIR \users\yourname\SendTo*  /AL

If you want to see all of your userprofile junctions and mappings, type:

DIR \users\yourname  /AL

Of course, if you have enabled showing Hidden and Operating System files, then you should find various junctions revealed right there in your user folder in W.Explorer navigation pane (the left side, directory tree).  You'll know which ones they are when you click them and get Access Denied errors.   :))

Was that your question?

Tuesday, September 8, 2009 3:57 AM
  • You want this one. Use this and your gold.

Directory of C:\Users\myuserid\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows

Tuesday, September 8, 2009 4:48 AM
  • Not really, I was wondering since the steps you described don't work for Windows 7.

I understand the concept though so I'm sure I can figure it out if I need to.
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 12:28 AM

• Could you expand on that a little?

Wednesday, September 9, 2009 3:01 AM
  • All I had to do was drag it to the left - the send to folder to the favorites tree. Is it that easy?
    It should be if you are not hiding your system folders.
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 3:54 AM
  • Sure. In my Win 7 RC 1 system, where you said

(4)  Click  Properties > Security > [Advanced] > [Edit] > [Edit] Everyone

there is no [Edit ].  All I have is:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/ztruker/SendTo.png
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 12:35 AM
  • Click "change permissions" and the edit button will appear.
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 2:04 AM
  • Still doesn't line up with what you wrote. There is no "Everyone". You also need to decided whether to select System or one of the other choices, then click Edit again.

Plus, on my Win 7 RC1 system, List Folder / Read data is already set to allow.

Looks like simply dragging from the right pane to the Favorites in the left pane works though I'm not sure at this point what it really accomplishes.
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 2:40 AM
  • I don't use the sendto folder that often so not much was accomplish where I am.
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 5:19 AM

• Sure. In my Win 7 RC 1 system, where you said

(4)  Click  Properties > Security > [Advanced] > [Edit] > [Edit] Everyone

there is no [Edit ].  All I have is:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/ztruker/SendTo.png

Ztrucker, you illustration shows the Properties of the Roaming Folder SendTo.

That's not the SendTo Junction in your User-folder.

Before doing step 4, do steps 1 thru 3:

(1)  In  Folders Options > View  select  Show hidden files and folders and unhide Protected O/S files

(2)  In W.Explorer, find  C:\users\you\SendTo

(3)  Right click it

• Edited by dеrosnеcBanned Friday, September 11, 2009 7:40 AM added unhide Protected O/S files
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 7:21 AM
  • I'm not trying to be stubborn or give you a hard time, but there is no SendTo at that level.  They are here only:

Directory of C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo
    Directory of C:\Users\myuserid\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo
    Directory of C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo
    Directory of C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo

Windows 7 RC1 build 7100
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 8:06 PM

• I've got a fresh clean install on another system right now.  I'm staring at it as I type.

It's there on mine.

Euh, sorry mate, but nor on mine.

Cheers

Rem
    Friday, September 11, 2009 6:00 AM
  • There you go mate, the only sendto is in roaming.
    Friday, September 11, 2009 7:21 AM
  • Before doing step 4, do steps 1 thru 3:

(1)  In  Folders Options > View  select  Show hidden files and folders and unhide Protected O/S files

(2)  In W.Explorer, find  C:\users\you\SendTo

(3)  Right click it

I don't have a sendto folder in this lcation.

This the one and only valid sendTo folder:

X:\Users\JohnDoe\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo
    Friday, September 11, 2009 10:10 AM

• Horshack, I take it that by  valid SendTo  you mean when you click it, you get Access Denied.  Very good.  You finally found it.

Now do the tweak and you won't get Access Denied anymore.

Friday, September 11, 2009 12:21 PM

• I've got a fresh clean install on another system right now.  I'm staring at it as I type.

It's there on mine.

Euh, sorry mate, but nor on mine.

Cheers

Rem

And I couldn't find it either!
    Friday, September 11, 2009 12:26 PM
  • I'm not trying to be stubborn or give you a hard time, but there is no SendTo at that level.  They are here only:

Directory of C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo
    Directory of C:\Users\myuserid\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo
    Directory of C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo
    Directory of C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo

Windows 7 RC1 build 7100
    I agree with ztrucker.
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 12:07 AM

• btw Horshack - I just cleaved the Vista 32bit SideBar, and stuffed it into this Win7 64bit.  LOL, it seems to work ok, Vista style.  I also just installed LG 32bit broadband modem driver, and am using it with Win7 64bit right now.  Hahaha.  Don't know why they work, but it is funny.

The no-New-Briefcase, NoDrivesInSendToMenu and no-Shortcut-Arrow hacks all work fine too.  So my userprofile SendTo Junction is not only accessible, it doesn't even have that shortcut arrow on it.   ;)

Saturday, September 12, 2009 12:16 AM

• I agree with ztrucker.

Practice with Vista.  When you gain the skill to use the modern W.Explorer, then move on to Win7.  Take baby steps, Horshack.

Saturday, September 12, 2009 12:23 AM
  • Just make a script that takes care of all those things with one click. BTW, I just repackaged microsoft tinker. He installs with one click but doesn't work on 7. When I'm finished with tinker I'll deal with the side bar. Priorities.  

Saturday, September 12, 2009 12:23 AM

• I agree with ztrucker.

Practice with Vista.  When you gain the skill to use the modern W.Explorer, then move on to Win7.  Take baby steps, Horshack.

What side of the bed did you wake up on? Call me old fasioned but I'll use XP for now. Windows 7's explorer lacks to many features. 
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 6:58 AM
  • What side of the bed did you wake up on? Call me old fasioned but I'll use XP for now. Windows 7's explorer lacks to many features. 

Don't take offence Horshack. It's derosnec's way of expressing himself.
    Too many people around here take themselves seriously.

Cheers

Rem
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 8:07 AM
  • Ducks get no respect.
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 8:11 AM
  • What side of the bed did you wake up on?
    Have a coffee and/or a cigarette.
    We're playing around with a brand new OS for free and manage to yell at eachother. Totally ridiculous.

Relax and cheers

Rem
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 8:22 AM

Thanks!

C'mon Carey.  You missed so many posts of mine in this thread.  Did you run out of steam deleting my posts yet?  Is that what happened?

Yoo-hoooo.   Come and getttttt itttttttt !

Monday, November 23, 2009 7:17 AM
  • Not that is Brink's explain !

changing dwoird to 1 will disable all aoutuplay (and that is not was idea !)

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 11:55 PM