none
DPM chaining failure RRS feed

  • Question

  • We have a DPM server named ...-DPM2 which backs up two hyper-v servers ...H1 and ...H2:

    Defining a protection group as seen from ...-DPM2 looks correct.  

    Also DPM2 is successfully backing up both the H1 and H2 hyper-v servers, and has its agents installed on them.

    I'm trying to use another DPM server named  ....-DPMH1 to setup chained protection of those same hyper-v servers, by replicating the backed up data from DPM2 to DPMH1

    However when I try to define a protection group, one of the hyper-v servers, the ...H2 server, still gets erroneously recognized as being a DPM server itself, as per the icon shown below.  Also, the DPMH1 server doesn't have its agent on the ...H2 server yet it still appears in the "available members" list.  why? how to get rid of it?

    Then when I try to chain-protect items from H2, I get the error message:

    "DPM cannot protect this data source because the secondary DPM server cannot protect a local data source that is protected on the primary DPM server.  Error ID 31227"

    How can I get the DPMH1 server to recognize the H2 server as a regular server and not as a DPM server?

    DPM was installed on the H2 server previously, but has since been removed. 


    Thursday, October 4, 2012 6:41 AM

Answers

  • Hi,

    I suspect we have a SQL table entry for the H2 server that still shows it as a DPM Server.

    Run this SQL query and see if the H2 server is in the list.

    Use dpmdb
    select * from dbo.tbl_AM_Server
    where isdpm = 1


    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

    Thursday, October 4, 2012 10:09 PM
    Moderator
  • yes, the H2 server is in the list returned by that query.

    I guess the next question is how to fix this, just edit the "1" to a "0" in the IsDPM column on the row for the H2 server?

    what about deleting the row altogether, since the DPMH1 server doesn't have an agent on this server.

    edit: I decided to take the risk and changed that 1 to a 0 and it's fixed the problem!  Thanks Mike.


    Friday, October 5, 2012 7:11 AM
  • Hi,

    Yes, lets see if that corrects the problem.  Make a backup of the DPMDB before making the change.   Just run Dpmbackup -db from an administrative comand prompt.

    Use dpmdb
    update dbo.tbl_AM_Server
    set isdpm = 0
    where Serverid = '721cb740-a093-47c1-b0e1-a7310cb4747d'


    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

    • Marked as answer by The Fellenator Wednesday, October 10, 2012 6:56 AM
    Friday, October 5, 2012 2:28 PM
    Moderator

All replies

  • Hi,

    I suspect we have a SQL table entry for the H2 server that still shows it as a DPM Server.

    Run this SQL query and see if the H2 server is in the list.

    Use dpmdb
    select * from dbo.tbl_AM_Server
    where isdpm = 1


    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

    Thursday, October 4, 2012 10:09 PM
    Moderator
  • yes, the H2 server is in the list returned by that query.

    I guess the next question is how to fix this, just edit the "1" to a "0" in the IsDPM column on the row for the H2 server?

    what about deleting the row altogether, since the DPMH1 server doesn't have an agent on this server.

    edit: I decided to take the risk and changed that 1 to a 0 and it's fixed the problem!  Thanks Mike.


    Friday, October 5, 2012 7:11 AM
  • Hi,

    Yes, lets see if that corrects the problem.  Make a backup of the DPMDB before making the change.   Just run Dpmbackup -db from an administrative comand prompt.

    Use dpmdb
    update dbo.tbl_AM_Server
    set isdpm = 0
    where Serverid = '721cb740-a093-47c1-b0e1-a7310cb4747d'


    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

    • Marked as answer by The Fellenator Wednesday, October 10, 2012 6:56 AM
    Friday, October 5, 2012 2:28 PM
    Moderator