Issues installing Client Access Role after failed install RRS feed

• Question

• I am installing Exchange 2010 for the second time, having managed to massively screw up the installation the first time.  I ended up rebuilding the (virtual) server, and after a lot of uninstalling and reinstalling have got to the point where everything other than the CAS role is installed (Hub and Mailbox - it will all be on one server).  Now whenever I try to install the client access role, whether on this server or on a separate server, I get this message from the installer:

---
    Client Access Role
    Failed

Error:
    The following error was generated when "$error.Clear(); $thisServer = Get-ExchangeServer $RoleFqdnOrName; $adSiteId = $thisServer.Site; $pureMailboxServersFqdns = Get-ExchangeServer | Where {$adSiteId -eq $_.Site -and $_.IsMailboxServer -and -not $_.IsClientAccessServer} | ForEach {$_.Fqdn}; Get-MailboxDatabase | Where { ($pureMailboxServersFqdns -contains $_.RpcClientAccessServer) -and ($adSiteId -eq (Get-ExchangeServer $_.Server).Site)} | Set-MailboxDatabase -RpcClientAccessServer $thisServer" was run: "Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: key".

Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: key
    ---

I have definitely got all the prerequisites.  I wondered whether this might be a job for ADSIEdit but I'm not sure what to remove - I have a running Exchange 2003 server at the moment as well.  It would be extremely helpful if someone knew what was coming back NULL so I can try to address it, but from the logs I can't get a lot of insight.  Let me know if you want to see it and I'll post a section of the log.

Thanks for any help - I've seen this question asked before but not with any answers, but since rebuilding the server doesn't fix it I'm starting to get quite stuck.  It must be something returning wrong from AD but I can't see what it might be.

Dev Lunsford

Monday, December 14, 2009 12:28 PM

Answers

•  (I am the original poster logged in under a different account)

Right, I think I've got to the bottom of this.  The issue was related to the fact that the Client Access role can't find mailbox databases.  Although the Mailbox role installed without error, and the AD object for the database store was created, it wasn't showing up in the console.  Every time I tried to create a new database in the management console, I would get the following error:

New Main Database
    Failed

Error:
    Active Directory operation failed on dc1.mydomain.org.uk. This error is not retriable. Additional information: The name reference is invalid.
    This may be caused by replication latency between Active Directory domain controllers.
    Active directory response: 000020B5: AtrErr: DSID-03152392, #1:
     0: 000020B5: DSID-03152392, problem 1005 (CONSTRAINT_ATT_TYPE), data 0, Att 200f4 (homeMDB)

A value in the request is invalid.

Exchange Management Shell command attempted:
    new-mailboxdatabase -Server 'MyMX' -Name 'Main Database' -EdbFilePath 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Mailbox\Main Database\Main Database.edb' -LogFolderPath 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Mailbox\Main Database'

Mount Main Database
    Cancelled

ADSIEdit showed all the failed mailbox names (I had tried this step a few times with different names) but the Exchange console showed no databases.

I did an Organizational Health Check which flagged up the presence of the old database which didn't have a server associated (or actually was associated with the same server *name* but that was the old non-existent server I'd screwed up first time round).  I removed this old database and all others other than the correct default database (the one with the random serial number attached).  I could then see the database in the console, so tried installing the client access role.  It succeeded.

I hope this is of some use to someone.  Thanks

Dev

• Proposed as answer by lefrinj Tuesday, December 15, 2009 12:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Crowley Saturday, July 23, 2011 12:08 AM
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 12:15 PM

All replies

•  (I am the original poster logged in under a different account)

Right, I think I've got to the bottom of this.  The issue was related to the fact that the Client Access role can't find mailbox databases.  Although the Mailbox role installed without error, and the AD object for the database store was created, it wasn't showing up in the console.  Every time I tried to create a new database in the management console, I would get the following error:

New Main Database
    Failed

Error:
    Active Directory operation failed on dc1.mydomain.org.uk. This error is not retriable. Additional information: The name reference is invalid.
    This may be caused by replication latency between Active Directory domain controllers.
    Active directory response: 000020B5: AtrErr: DSID-03152392, #1:
     0: 000020B5: DSID-03152392, problem 1005 (CONSTRAINT_ATT_TYPE), data 0, Att 200f4 (homeMDB)

A value in the request is invalid.

Exchange Management Shell command attempted:
    new-mailboxdatabase -Server 'MyMX' -Name 'Main Database' -EdbFilePath 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Mailbox\Main Database\Main Database.edb' -LogFolderPath 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Mailbox\Main Database'

Mount Main Database
    Cancelled

ADSIEdit showed all the failed mailbox names (I had tried this step a few times with different names) but the Exchange console showed no databases.

I did an Organizational Health Check which flagged up the presence of the old database which didn't have a server associated (or actually was associated with the same server *name* but that was the old non-existent server I'd screwed up first time round).  I removed this old database and all others other than the correct default database (the one with the random serial number attached).  I could then see the database in the console, so tried installing the client access role.  It succeeded.

I hope this is of some use to someone.  Thanks

Dev

• Proposed as answer by lefrinj Tuesday, December 15, 2009 12:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Crowley Saturday, July 23, 2011 12:08 AM
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 12:15 PM
  • Can you please tell me how you found this in adsi.  I am just wanting to figure out the correct place to look. Any step by step will help.
    Friday, August 19, 2011 12:02 PM