none
DPM behavior in the Addition/Removal of Content Database from a Farm RRS feed

• Question

• hello,

I am protectiing a sharepoint 2010 farm using dpm 2010.

My sharepoint farm has multiple SQL Server boxes. If one of the database starts growing very fast, then we move it to a server which has more free space.

If this is done, what are the things we should do on the DPM side to make sure that DPM backups up the farm correct?

I have seen that DPM remembers the list of content databases and the servers where they reside. So if there is a shuffle of databases, what should we do on the DPM side so that the farm is backed up without any issues?

Is doing a Start-CreateCatalog enough?

On my server in order to test the functionality I built the sharepoint farm with 10 content databases and then configured DPM to protect it. Now I "unattached" some databases from SharePoint and then execute the Start-CreateCatalog command.

But I get a red cross against my protection group and I see that DPM is still trying to backup the 10 databases in the SharePoint group.

So executing the Start-CreateCatalog has no effect on telling DPM that some databases have been removed from SharePoint Farm.

So again what are the steps which I should do on DPM when

1. A database is moved from one server to another

2. A database is detached from SharePoint Farm.

Friday, April 15, 2011 1:58 PM

Answers

• This is how the database addition/deletion scenario work. A database move can be seen as the deletion of the original database and an addition of a new database.

Database addition - The database gets automatically added to protection after a nightly job runs. Thus you shouldn't worry about it unless you can't wait a day for the database to start getting backed up. If you do worry, there is a Start-AutoProtection Cmdlet which will perform the necessary action.

Database deletion - Unlike addition, we don't automatically delete the data from our replica for the detached or deleted database. We wait for the admin to confirm the deletion (it would be a disaster to automatically delete the data from our replica because the database got deleted accidentally). Only then the space on replica will be reclaimed.

To reclaim space, you'll need to unprotect and reprotect the farm with the retain data option. That way all the data will be intact and during reprotection, the free space on the replica will be reclaimed. The older recovery points (point in times) will retain the deleted Db data till the PG retention period.

Regards, Deepan [This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.] [P.S. If the post answers your question or guides you about what you're looking for, please mark it as answered.]
    Friday, April 15, 2011 2:21 PM
  • If the retention range of your Protection Group is 30 days, yes it will take 30 days to reclaim all the space that this specific database was using up (till the PITs that contain this database expire and are eligible for deletion).
    Regards, Deepan [This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.] [P.S. If the post answers your question or guides you about what you're looking for, please mark it as answered.]
    • Marked as answer by MSDN Student Friday, April 15, 2011 5:50 PM
    Friday, April 15, 2011 4:25 PM

All replies

• This is how the database addition/deletion scenario work. A database move can be seen as the deletion of the original database and an addition of a new database.

Database addition - The database gets automatically added to protection after a nightly job runs. Thus you shouldn't worry about it unless you can't wait a day for the database to start getting backed up. If you do worry, there is a Start-AutoProtection Cmdlet which will perform the necessary action.

Database deletion - Unlike addition, we don't automatically delete the data from our replica for the detached or deleted database. We wait for the admin to confirm the deletion (it would be a disaster to automatically delete the data from our replica because the database got deleted accidentally). Only then the space on replica will be reclaimed.

To reclaim space, you'll need to unprotect and reprotect the farm with the retain data option. That way all the data will be intact and during reprotection, the free space on the replica will be reclaimed. The older recovery points (point in times) will retain the deleted Db data till the PG retention period.

Friday, April 15, 2011 2:21 PM
  • Just to confirm if I have understood you correctly.

1. Delete the protection group (don't delete the data).

2. Re-Create the protection group.

3. Wait for 30 day period for all the space which is claimed by the deleted content to be recovered.

Correct?

Friday, April 15, 2011 3:19 PM
  • If the retention range of your Protection Group is 30 days, yes it will take 30 days to reclaim all the space that this specific database was using up (till the PITs that contain this database expire and are eligible for deletion).
    • Marked as answer by MSDN Student Friday, April 15, 2011 5:50 PM
    Friday, April 15, 2011 4:25 PM
  • Thank you, this was helpful. 

The other item to note, make sure you click "update data sources" in DPM when adding SharePoint Farm back into the Protection Group; otherwise, DPM will pick up the cached list of DB's.  

Thanks!

Matt

Matt Engibous

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 10:10 PM