none
SCOM2012 SP1 Console Refuses to Install

Question

• I have a single Windows Server 2012 box that I had previously installed SCOM2012 (not SP1, and this was before I'd upgraded the box from Server 2008 R2) and CTP (after the upgrade to 2012) without issues. When SP1 came along, I dutifully attempted to upgrade (and then to completely uninstall and reinstall). However, the Console feature simply will not install on the system. I've googled...erm...binged looking for a solution to the issue, but every suggestion I've found to resolving the issue does not work for me. This includes checking the system registry for the correct value in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WinTrust\Trust Providers\Software Publishing\State and uh... the other one just like it, ensuring .NET 3.5 SP1 is installed, and redownloading the ISO from MSDN and trying again. The error message I get in the setup log is entirely unhelpful:

[20:44:25]: Error: :LaunchMSI: MSI E:\Setup\AMD64\Console\OMConsole.msi returned error 1603
    [20:44:25]: Error: :ProcessInstalls: Install Item Operations console failed to install.  We did not launch the post process delegate.

If I look at the event viewer on the system, I see an entry for MsiInstaller that says it is initiating the installation followed by several messages from RestartManager that indicate that the system needs to be restarted, followed by equally unhelpful MsiInstaller entries that indicate that (imagine that!) the "Installation failed"...

At this point, I have no idea what to do or where to go to get more information. Your input is appreciated.

Thursday, March 7, 2013 2:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you please confirm if the server is meeting the requirements: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj656654.aspx#BKMK_RBF_OperationsConsole

Regards Marthijn van Rheenen
    Blog:
    Heading To The Clouds

Thursday, March 7, 2013 11:24 AM
  • Hi, Also see this http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/jcowan/archive/2012/06/12/scom-2012-operations-manager-console-will-not-initialize.aspx
    Thursday, March 7, 2013 1:21 PM
  • Hi,

Can you please confirm if the server is meeting the requirements: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj656654.aspx#BKMK_RBF_OperationsConsole

Regards Marthijn van Rheenen
    Blog:
    Heading To The Clouds

Yes. The system meets the minimum requirements (for both RTM and SP1, since they don't match up...)

Thursday, March 7, 2013 4:08 PM
  • Hi, Also see this http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/jcowan/archive/2012/06/12/scom-2012-operations-manager-console-will-not-initialize.aspx
    I've seen this, and it doesn't help.
    Thursday, March 7, 2013 4:09 PM
  • Pls. check the following link

http://scug.be/christopher/category/operations-manager/
    http://www.scom2k7.com/error-installing-scom-2012-omserver-msi-returned-error-1603/

Hope this will help you

Roger

I've seen these as well (as you might have noted had you read the actual steps that I tried, recommended by these articles, in my original post...), and they do not help.
    Thursday, March 7, 2013 4:15 PM
  • Hi,

I've the same Problem now on a Server. Does anybody has a solution for this? The Log is not really helping...

Monday, March 25, 2013 4:08 PM
  • Hi,

Do you have the option to place the server in a OU where no policies apply?
    Maybe some policy is preventing this installation to complete.

Regards

Marthijn van Rheenen Blog: Heading To The Clouds

Monday, March 25, 2013 8:14 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the reply.
    I've only one Server where the console will not install, and all the servers are in the same OU. So a policy is probably not the cause.

Regards,
    Patrick

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 7:57 AM
  • Hi,

Could you try and test to install other software with the MSI extension and see if that works?
    I was reading through this post: http://www.msigeek.com/715/how-to-troubleshoot-the-error-1603-fatal-error-during-installation

Maybe this helps,

Regards

Marthijn van Rheenen Blog: Heading To The Clouds

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 10:24 AM
  • other MSI files are working fine.
    This post is very interesting, sadly I didn't find anything helpful, at least not for this issue :/

Thursday, March 28, 2013 7:10 AM
  • Tried to clear registry keys for SCOM?
    Thursday, March 28, 2013 7:35 AM
  • I checked the registry, and deleted leftovers.

I also uninstalled the service manager console (saw some blogs where they had problems when the console is installed), but still not working.

The log is telling me that he couldn't copy:
    Message Type  0: We could not copy : D:\setup\AMD64\MPLP\Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.OperationsManager.Setup.resources.dll
    Message Type  0: We could not copy To : C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\SCOM\MPLP\Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.OperationsManager.Setup.resources.dll
    Message Type  2: CopyFileList : Finished ...
    Message Type  0: CopyFileList Failed.. Error : 0x80070002 The system cannot find the file specified.

I downloaded the scom binaries now twice and the file, he tries to copy, is never there...

The log OpsMgrSetupWizard:

[20:21:23]: Always: :LaunchMsi: Launching D:\Setup\AMD64\Console\OMConsole.msi
    [20:22:01]: Always: :MsiInstallProduct finished for msi D:\Setup\AMD64\Console\OMConsole.msi.
    [20:22:01]: Always: :LaunchMSI: Setting rollback to true
    [20:22:01]: Error: :LaunchMSI: MSI D:\Setup\AMD64\Console\OMConsole.msi returned error 1603
    [20:22:01]: Error: :ProcessInstalls: Install Item Operations console failed to install.  We did not launch the post process delegate.
    [20:22:01]: Always: :SetErrorType: Setting NonVitalFailure. currentInstallItem: Operations console
    [20:22:01]: Info: :SetErrorType is removing the Rollback property as this is a non-fatal item.
    [20:22:01]: Info: :SetProgressScreen: FinishMinorStep.
    [20:22:02]: Always: :!***** Installing: POSTINSTALL ***
    [20:22:02]: Info: :SetProgressScreen: StartMinorStep.
    [20:22:02]: Always: :Doing Preinstall task for POSTINSTALL
    [20:22:02]: Always: :Doing Install task for POSTINSTALL
    [20:22:02]: Debug: :DoInstallTask: Found Microsoft.SystemCenter.Essentials.SetupFramework.InstallItemsDelegates.PostInstall;PostInstallProcessor as type and method.
    [20:22:02]: Info: :Type: Microsoft.SystemCenter.Essentials.SetupFramework.InstallItemsDelegates.PostInstall  Method: PostInstallProcessor
    [20:22:02]: Info: :SetProgressScreen: Init Exe Install progress.
    [20:22:02]: Error: :AddARPEntry: Install folder C:\Program Files\System Center 2012\Operations Manager does not exist.
    [20:22:02]: Error: :Unable to add the ARP entry: Threw Exception.Type: System.ArgumentException, Exception Error Code: 0x80070057, Exception.Message: C:\Program Files\System Center 2012\Operations Manager
    [20:22:02]: Error: :StackTrace:   at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.OperationsManager.Setup.Common.SetupHelpers.AddUninstallChangeEntry()
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.Essentials.SetupFramework.InstallItemsDelegates.PostInstall.PostInstallProcessor(Func`3 setProgressScreen)
    [20:22:02]: Error: :ProcessInstalls: Install Item Final Configuration failed to install.  We did not launch the post process delegate.
    [20:22:02]: Always: :SetErrorType: Setting VitalFailure. currentInstallItem: Final Configuration
    [20:22:02]: Info: :SetProgressScreen: FinishMinorStep.
    [20:22:02]: Always: :****************************************************************
    [20:22:02]: Always: :****Starting*RollBack*******************************************

Thursday, March 28, 2013 8:49 AM
  • also found this in the logs:

MSI (s) (30:04) [09:17:51:359]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSI460.tmp, Entrypoint: RemoveFullTrustForCodeGroup
    CAPACK: Extracting custom action to temporary directory: C:\Windows\Installer\MSI460.tmp-\
    CAPACK: CLR version v2.0.50727 is installed.
    CAPACK: CLR version v2.0.50727 is detected.
    CAPACK: CLR version v4.0.30319 is installed.
    CAPACK: CLR version v4.0.30319 is detected.
    CAPACK: Binding to CLR version v2.0.50727
    Error: missing or invalid customActions config section.
    System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Configuration system failed to initialize ---> System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Unrecognized configuration section startup. (C:\Windows\Installer\MSI460.tmp-\CustomAction.config line 8)
       at System.Configuration.ConfigurationSchemaErrors.ThrowIfErrors(Boolean ignoreLocal)
       at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.ThrowIfParseErrors(ConfigurationSchemaErrors schemaErrors)
       at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.ThrowIfInitErrors()
       at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.EnsureInit(String configKey)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.EnsureInit(String configKey)
       at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.PrepareClientConfigSystem(String sectionName)
       at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.System.Configuration.Internal.IInternalConfigSystem.GetSection(String sectionName)
       at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.GetSection(String sectionName)
       at Microsoft.WindowsInstaller.CustomActionProxy.FindEntryPoint(Session session, String entryPoint, String& assemblyName, String& className, String& methodName)
    MSI (s) (30:04) [09:17:53:124]: NOTE: custom action _Rollback_RemoveCodeGroup.6C283D0A_50A8_439C_BDF9_0BA55C19F3FE unexpectedly closed the hInstall handle (type MSIHANDLE) provided to it. The custom action should be fixed to not close that handle.
    CustomAction _Rollback_RemoveCodeGroup.6C283D0A_50A8_439C_BDF9_0BA55C19F3FE returned actual error code 1603 but will be translated to success due to continue marking

----

Maybe this helps...

Thursday, March 28, 2013 8:59 AM
  • Repair .Net Framework

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2009/04/16/9553804.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2009/02/18/9432938.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2010/05/12/10011664.aspx

Thursday, March 28, 2013 12:30 PM
  • Hi,

we have a comparable Problem. During the Installation of SP1 (only Console) SCOM 2012 to SCOM 2012 SP1 there was a "Rolling back Action" and SCOM 2012 was stopped working. Now the  SCOM Console can not be installed. All other components of SCOM were successfully upgrade on other Servers like Managment Server and Reporting Server. In our Test enviroment there was no Problem. Only this Server ...

On this Server is already installed SCSM SP1. I have reinstalled all .Net Versions, delete the related registry keys, reboot the Server some times, Hardware requirements are true (has also previously worked)

I hope anyone has any ideas?

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 9:00 AM
  • Had a similar problem installing SCOM reporting services. In the end it came down to the fact that the OpsMgr Datawarehouse was hosted on a clustered instance using custom ports. The install process was reading the DW database name and instance from the database or data warehouse table in the format <servername>\<instance>, <port> and it wasn't parsing the bit after the comma correctly - it looked like it was taking the port as a separate command line option. Anyway, the solution was to a batch file to run setup.exe with all the options and that allowed putting the datawarehouse string in to quotes "<servername>\<instance>, <port>" which allowed it to install successfully.
    Thursday, July 24, 2014 11:48 AM
  • Hi,

you have to read to om console.log file.
    The Location is listed in the Installation log file at the end of the installer.
    The cause is often the Net Framework.

In an Enterprise Environment everything was fine, except orchestrator Systems, where we have to install the om console.

so we analyzed the exact Problem you got, and came to the solution that we have to modify the 32 bit net Framework 4 machine.config.

we have to remove the entry <runtime />

an added

<runtime> <NetFx40_LegacySecurityPolicy enabled=”true”/>
    </runtime>

Note, you have to clear the "" and type it manually.

Safe the file and try again.

There ist nothing else to do.

The Location is:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Config\

Server OS is 2012 R2.

• Edited by Mathias Rühn Wednesday, November 18, 2015 12:30 PM correction
    • Proposed as answer by Loïc SÉBAS Tuesday, May 31, 2016 12:55 PM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2015 12:26 PM
  • I have the same error like this.

so the solution is to open the SQL server configuration manager.

in the tab SQL server services, find SQL Server Agent for SCOM.

right click and properties.

make sure you use the same account for installing in the first hand.

and try again.

hopefully it can solve.

Thursday, December 3, 2015 9:22 AM
  • You saved my day !
    Tuesday, May 31, 2016 12:55 PM
  • Hi,

I have the exact same issue om an Orcestrator server. First I installed the SCCM console and get problem when I installed the SCOM console.

My log OpsMgrSetupWizard.txt

Error: :AddARPEntry: Install folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012 R2\Operations Manager does not exist.
    [10:12:37]: Error: :Unable to add the ARP entry: Threw Exception.Type: System.ArgumentException, Exception Error Code: 0x80070057, Exception.Message: C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012 R2\Operations Manager
    [10:12:37]: Error: :StackTrace:   at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.OperationsManager.Setup.Common.SetupHelpers.AddUninstallChangeEntry()
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.Essentials.SetupFramework.InstallItemsDelegates.PostInstall.PostInstallProcessor(Func`3 setProgressScreen)

I added the "<runtime> <NetFx40_LegacySecurityPolicy enabled=”true”/>"  to C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Config\machine.config

What mor can I do, or have I missed something?

/SaiTech

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 9:15 AM
  • Hi Rupert,

I know this is an old post, but by any chance do you still have still the batch file that was used to address this issue?

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 12:33 PM