How to deploy Skype to certain computers using WSUS? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm looking for the correct way to install (and / or update) Skype to selected computers using WSUS.

If I go to WSUS > Options > Products and Classifications, I can simply select Skype from that list. However I am afraid that this will install Skype for everyone connected to this WSUS server (basically the entire company). Especially because I read some posts in which people have had the problem of Skype automatically being installed on all their clients.

Can someone explain to me the proper method of deploying Skype on SELECTED COMPUTERS? These should both download/deploy Skype on them as well as check for updates. Computers outside this 'group' should have nothing to do with Skype whatsoever.

Thank you for your help.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 2:52 PM

Answers

• Instead of actually installing Skype through WSUS, we only want to UPDATE Skype through WSUS. However, I -think- (not sure) that within WSUS there is no difference between installing Skype and updating Skype is there? Take this forum post for example: "WSUS suddenly installed Skype on 06/27/12" (Google it I can't post links)

There were issues with the original releases of the Skype packages for WSUS. They were supposed to be Update-Only packages, but they had defective logic and failed to comprehend certain scenarios resulting in their installation where they should not have been installed. Those issues have since been fixed (for the currently available packages); however, until the Skype team re-establishes their record with respect to package behaviors, I'd be hyper-cautious about thoroughly testing any future packages for Skype over the next few releases.

Incidentally, this particular "case-study" reinforces the value in inspecting the list of machines that report an update as "Needed" before that update is actually Approved for Installation. Organizations that noted that 100% of their desktops were reporting that Skype update as "Needed" would have had an immediate clue that something wasn't right in paradise. :-)

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

• Proposed as answer by Tim Buntrock Friday, February 15, 2013 9:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by Clarence Zhang Monday, February 18, 2013 4:43 AM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 10:17 PM

All replies

• >> I read some posts in which people have had the problem of Skype automatically being installed on all their clients. Can someone explain to me the proper method of deploying Skype on SELECTED COMPUTERS? <<

You can create group at WSUS console, then move "selected computers" into it, and approve Skype *ONLY* for this group. Also check that there is no "Update Rollups" in auto approval rules.

Maxim Sinel'nikov

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 6:07 AM
  • Hi,

you have to create a special group for it:

WSUS: Create the Computer Groups

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708459%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

Kind regards,

Tim
    MCITP, MCTS
    http://directoryadmin.blogspot.com

This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

"If this thread answered your question, please click on "Mark as Answer"

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:37 AM
  • Thanks for your replies.

Initially my question has not been complete. But by not stating my question for the full 100% this shows the potential problem to my question.

Instead of actually installing Skype through WSUS, we only want to UPDATE Skype through WSUS. However, I -think- (not sure) that within WSUS there is no difference between installing Skype and updating Skype is there? Take this forum post for example: "WSUS suddenly installed Skype on 06/27/12" (Google it I can't post links)

In other words; what I would like to achieve is for people who have Skype installed on their pc to automatically update to the latest version of Skype through WSUS. However, people in this same WSUS group who don't have Skype should not get this installed.

Is this possible or do I need to split the groups because Skype update will also mean installing Skype?

Thanks.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 11:00 AM
  • Instead of actually installing Skype through WSUS, we only want to UPDATE Skype through WSUS. However, I -think- (not sure) that within WSUS there is no difference between installing Skype and updating Skype is there? Take this forum post for example: "WSUS suddenly installed Skype on 06/27/12" (Google it I can't post links)

There were issues with the original releases of the Skype packages for WSUS. They were supposed to be Update-Only packages, but they had defective logic and failed to comprehend certain scenarios resulting in their installation where they should not have been installed. Those issues have since been fixed (for the currently available packages); however, until the Skype team re-establishes their record with respect to package behaviors, I'd be hyper-cautious about thoroughly testing any future packages for Skype over the next few releases.

Incidentally, this particular "case-study" reinforces the value in inspecting the list of machines that report an update as "Needed" before that update is actually Approved for Installation. Organizations that noted that 100% of their desktops were reporting that Skype update as "Needed" would have had an immediate clue that something wasn't right in paradise. :-)

SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2013)
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

• Proposed as answer by Tim Buntrock Friday, February 15, 2013 9:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by Clarence Zhang Monday, February 18, 2013 4:43 AM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 10:17 PM
  • Any idea when a new Skype update will show up in WSUS? Currently, the latest available in WSUS is version 5.10, from Oct-2012. 

Thanks,

-jack

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 11:36 PM
  • Any idea when a new Skype update will show up in WSUS? Currently, the latest available in WSUS is version 5.10, from Oct-2012. 

If the most recent update in the WSUS catalog is v5.10, from June-July 2012, it may be that the Skype team has abandoned their less-than-functional attempt to deploy Skype updates via WSUS. I don't sync the Skype product category (not a very resounding vote of confidence, eh?)

You can also obtain Skype updates (as well as many other products) with SolarWinds Patch Manager (which is howI get my Skype updates). Skype v6.3.0.107 was made available a couple of weeks ago (the day it was released by Skype).

SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:29 PM