SCCM 2012 R2: automatic uninstall App-V 5 packages RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are using App-V 5.0 SP3 for computers (in test phase) as well as Terminal Servers (in production, App-V 4.6 and 5.0 on the same W2K8R2 servers). We were thinking about using a App-V management server since SCCM integrated App-V has downsides, most important one is no automatic uninstall. Then there is this comparison which shows that integrating in SCCM has much more options: http://virtualvibes.co.uk/app-v-management-server-or-configuration-manager-2012-a-feature-comparison

So we're back at going for "SCCM App-V integrated" and the issue that uninstall doesn't happen automatically. Also there is this post which tells us "With App-V 5.0 SP2, App-V packages that are being used cannot be uninstalled." http://henkhoogendoorn.blogspot.be/2013/07/configmgr-2012-sp1-with-app-v-50.html

So I'm still looking for the best approach to:

*deploy App-V 5.0 packages to terminal servers via SCCM 2012 (user targetted): an uninstall won't happen for one user if another user has it in use? Then how can we enforce an uninstall/remove an application nicely?
    *deploy App-V 5.0 packages to W7 computers via SCCM 2012 (first phase, later we will deploy to users on the computers): deploy an App-V package to  certain collection with computers, deploy an uninstall to "all computers" so that if computerobject isn't member of the collection, it will uninstall? Won't every user then receive loads of uninstalls triggered (even not visible in the console)?

Sound all quite messy for me.
    Please advise.
    J.

Jan Hoedt

Friday, April 10, 2015 11:17 AM

Answers

• Well, I recommend that you test the scenario by yourself to confirm the scenario, and yes, I do not have an issue about uninstalling App-V apps. Like I said earlier, when they are deployed to USER, they are stored in that USER's profile so I do not see the problem here if there are multiple USERS on the same device using the application since it's launched from their own profiles.

For the second question, it all depends how you've configured your application deployment / re-evaluation policies, how often are they run and how often does your uninstallation collection update. And the evaluations won't be seen in anywhere else than the logs under %windir%\ccm\logs unless the application actually does get uninstalled (meaning, it has been detected on the target) and you've configured the uninstallation deployment to show up in the software center.

• Marked as answer by janhoedt Wednesday, April 22, 2015 1:48 PM
    Tuesday, April 21, 2015 12:59 PM
  • Jan,

Uninstall when is use is not possible but the apps is marked as pending removal in the registry.

If you read the link I posted in my first comment it gives you all the information you need. Has to be SP2 upwards.

Cheers Paul |

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 8:30 PM

All replies

• When you're deploying App-V applications through ConfigMgr against your user collections, the applications themselves are stored on the profile of the user.

So the answer to your first question, yes, the installation will happen even though there's another user using the same application because it isn't physically at the same location (= Profile). If you want to uninstall the application for a single user, just add another collection with the user in it you want to have it removed and deploy the application as uninstall.

For the second one, I'd skip the first phase and just stick with the 'deploy to users' approach, it works just like I explained above. You could although have some logic to where the applications actually get installed and create requirements for the App-V applications so that they will only install on the user's primary device.

• Edited by Narcoticoo Thursday, April 16, 2015 4:01 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Joyce L Friday, April 17, 2015 2:14 AM
    Thursday, April 16, 2015 4:00 AM
  • >So the answer to your first question, yes, the installation will happen even though there's another user

My question was "an UNinstall won't happen for one user if another user has it in use? Then how can we enforce an uninstall/remove an application nicely?"
    What I meant: an uninstall should remove the App-v package for all users (uninstalling for 1 user is not the goal) but it won't as long it 's in use. That means we need to force a removal somehow.

>For the second one, I'd skip the first phase
    That's no option, so my question stays
    "deploy an App-V package to  certain collection with computers, deploy an uninstall to "all computers" so that if computerobject isn't member of the collection, it will uninstall? Won't every user/computer then receive loads of uninstalls triggered (even not visible in the console)?"

Jan Hoedt

Friday, April 17, 2015 9:51 AM
  • >So the answer to your first question, yes, the installation will happen even though there's another user

My question was "an UNinstall won't happen for one user if another user has it in use? Then how can we enforce an uninstall/remove an application nicely?"
    What I meant: an uninstall should remove the App-v package for all users (uninstalling for 1 user is not the goal) but it won't as long it 's in use. That means we need to force a removal somehow.

>For the second one, I'd skip the first phase
    That's no option, so my question stays
    "deploy an App-V package to  certain collection with computers, deploy an uninstall to "all computers" so that if computerobject isn't member of the collection, it will uninstall? Won't every user/computer then receive loads of uninstalls triggered (even not visible in the console)?"

Jan Hoedt

If you want to remove the application from all users, just add all users to the collection and deploy the application as uninstall, it will be removed from every single user when the policies are applied.

For the second question, create a collection that has all the computers that you want to have the application installed and deploy the installation of the application to that collection. Then create another collection that has all the computers as member, BUT exclude the collection you created for installation. Now all the computers that don't belong to the install collection, will have uninstall deployed against them.

Friday, April 17, 2015 12:20 PM
  • Thanks for repeating what I mentioned in my original post but what about the answers?

Jan Hoedt

Friday, April 17, 2015 1:10 PM
  • What other answers do you want? I think I already did answer in the above two posts.

Friday, April 17, 2015 1:32 PM
  • My post:

App-V packages that are being used cannot be uninstalled." http://henkhoogendoorn.blogspot.be/2013/07/configmgr-2012-sp1-with-app-v-50.html

My questions still have no answer:

*an uninstall won't happen for one user if another user has it in use (that's what the aritcle stipulates)? Then how can we enforce an uninstall/remove an application nicely?
    *deploy App-V 5.0 packages to W7 computers via SCCM 2012 Ok for procedure but  "Won't every user then receive loads of uninstalls triggered (even not visible in the console)?"

Jan Hoedt

Friday, April 17, 2015 1:37 PM
  • My post:

App-V packages that are being used cannot be uninstalled." http://henkhoogendoorn.blogspot.be/2013/07/configmgr-2012-sp1-with-app-v-50.html

My questions still have no answer:

*an uninstall won't happen for one user if another user has it in use (that's what the aritcle stipulates)? Then how can we enforce an uninstall/remove an application nicely?
    *deploy App-V 5.0 packages to W7 computers via SCCM 2012 Ok for procedure but  "Won't every user then receive loads of uninstalls triggered (even not visible in the console)?"

Jan Hoedt

Well, did you test the uninstallation scenario? I'm using ConfigMgr 2012 R2 with App-V 5 SP3. For the second one, yes there will be uninstalls triggered IF the application is discovered, of course there will be evaluation made for all the computers in the collection you deployed the uninstallation.

• Edited by Narcoticoo Friday, April 17, 2015 1:42 PM
    Friday, April 17, 2015 1:41 PM
  • >Well, did you test the uninstallation scenario?
    No, since the blog explicitely mentions "App-V packages that are being used cannot be uninstalled." I guess I believe what's stated there.
    >I'm using ConfigMgr 2012 R2 with App-V 5 SP3
    Ok, so you mention this because you don't have the issue with SP3?
    >of course there will be evaluation made for all the computers in the collection you deployed the uninstallation.
    My question was "Won't every user then receive loads of uninstalls triggered"?
    Meaning a big overload to evaluate each time an evaluation is done + visible (by default since we allow each user to see all events)?

Jan Hoedt

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 11:43 AM
  • Well, I recommend that you test the scenario by yourself to confirm the scenario, and yes, I do not have an issue about uninstalling App-V apps. Like I said earlier, when they are deployed to USER, they are stored in that USER's profile so I do not see the problem here if there are multiple USERS on the same device using the application since it's launched from their own profiles.

For the second question, it all depends how you've configured your application deployment / re-evaluation policies, how often are they run and how often does your uninstallation collection update. And the evaluations won't be seen in anywhere else than the logs under %windir%\ccm\logs unless the application actually does get uninstalled (meaning, it has been detected on the target) and you've configured the uninstallation deployment to show up in the software center.

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 12:59 PM
  • Jan,

Uninstall when is use is not possible but the apps is marked as pending removal in the registry.

If you read the link I posted in my first comment it gives you all the information you need. Has to be SP2 upwards.

Cheers Paul |

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 8:30 PM