Windows 8.1 Login Screen Lock Time RRS feed

• Question

• I frequently am logging in and out of my Windows 8.1 laptop. I have a good, secure password that I use and because I'm human, sometimes I mistype it. The issue is that on these occasions, I am locked out for a good 30 seconds from attempting to login, even for the second time.

I can understand the time delay if it were say, my 5th or 6th attempt, but for one attempt this is entirely too long. How do I go about significantly reducing this, or ideally removing it?

Thank you very much!

Thursday, February 9, 2017 9:40 PM

All replies

• Hi mjmora87,

According to your description, it may be a lock time out based upon idle time (and that your screen also has a time out based upon idle time).

In Windows 8.1, you can see it in PC & Devices -> Lock screen.

NoteYou must turn ON the option "Play a slide show on the lock screen" in order to see the two controls "Show the lock screen after my PC is inactive for [1 hour]" and "Turn off screen after slide show has played for [Don't turn off]"

Also we could check the Local Security Policy.

Click Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Local Security Policy> Local Policies> Security Options> Interactive Logon: Machine Inactivity Limit>set the time you want.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 10, 2017 2:58 AM
  • Hi mjmora87,

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved?
    I am proposing previous helpful replies as "Answered". Please feel free to try it and let me know the result. If the reply is helpful, please remember to mark it as answer which can help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.
    Best regards,
    Carl

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 17, 2017 9:01 AM
  • Hi Carl,

Thank you very much for your support. Unfortunately, the first option did not seem to solve my issue. I was unable to find Local Security Policy on my PC, so I was unable to navigate to the Interactive Logon option. For my PC, I actually had to go to System and Security first, then to Administrative Tools, which ultimately did not have any of the options you mentioned.

I even tried using the search function on my PC to find the options you mentioned, to no avail.

Friday, February 17, 2017 9:22 PM
  • Hi mjmora87,

Thank you for your reply.

It’s Ok. If your system hasn’t no Local Security Policy, your system could be Windows 8.1 Home Version.

If so, I suggest that we could perform a Clean Boot to check.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

If the issue still insists, we could boot to Safe Mode to check. If it works fine, the issue may be related to the Winlogon.exe. We could use the command “sfc /scannow” to repair system files.

If these steps don’t work, I suggest that we could use the system restore function.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17085/windows-8-restore-refresh-reset-pc

Hope it will be helpful to you

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 9:27 AM