none
Updating Project via Interface RRS feed

• Question

• Is anyone out there in user land using interfaces to load updates to Project?  Any problems being experienced?

We have Project Server 2010, we are using Project 2010 Professional on our desktops.  We do not use the time sheet feature of Project, we have Delta Time Keeping which in turn feeds the actual charges to Deltek Costpoint (version 7.0 LA).  A csv file is generated from Costpoint which feeds the update back into the files on Project Server.

We are experiencing a variety of issues including (but not limited to) work values being added to some tasks and assignment delays being added to other tasks that push out the schedule.  I'm not sure if it is related to the interface or not.

We are also losing our network diagram layouts - but there was no interface updates between the time we saved and the next day when we discovered they were gone.

Beth Whiting-Metcalf

Friday, December 14, 2012 4:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Beth,

generally speaking if you use any software that updates task via the Statusing API in Project Server Interface (PSI) behaves in the same manner as if you would submit your actuals via Project Web App.

Since both the Project Server as well as Project Professional have a scheduling engine every task update from a Team Member will cause recalculation on the task and linked tasks. To handle this you need to have a robust schedule, e.g. organized independent phase only with links within the phases, etc.

We are using the Statusing API a lot and we haven't seen any issue like you described, e.g. unexpected delays or lost network diagrams. How ever there had been a bunch of product improvements in Project 2010 in the last two years and I have seen issues with automatically executed rules which caused a mix up of the outline structure. So my assumption is that the issues are not caused by the 3rd party app.

I would strongly recommend filing a support case with Microsoft in order to make sure you tackle down the issue.

Hope this helps,

Renke

http://www.holert.com Project Management with MS Project - Oldenburg, Berlin, Munich/Germany

Friday, December 14, 2012 11:32 PM
  • There is no 3rd party application involved.  We are loading csv files via the PSI.  Schedules are phase based - tasks are linked from phase to phase.

Beth Whiting-Metcalf

Monday, December 17, 2012 5:45 PM
  • Hi,

ok, so you created the PSI code to submit the actuals. Again I would recommend to file a case with Microsoft.

Thanks

Renke

http://www.holert.com Project Management with MS Project - Oldenburg, Berlin, Munich/Germany

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 6:35 PM