cluster error 1090 and 7024 RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard

i am recovering an Exchange 2013 Mailbox server and have reformatted this Windows Server 2012 R2. when i restart the cluster service is disabled. if i enable it and start it, it gives those errors in event viewer as 1090:

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-FailoverClustering
    Date:          6/19/2015 7:16:17 PM
    Event ID:      1090
    Task Category: Startup/Shutdown
    Level:         Critical
    Keywords:      
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:      ruh1mb02.ALJOMAIHBEV.com
    Description:
    The Cluster service cannot be started. An attempt to read configuration data from the Windows registry failed with error '2'. Please use the Failover Cluster Management snap-in to ensure that this machine is a member of a cluster. If you intend to add this machine to an existing cluster use the Add Node Wizard. Alternatively, if this machine has been configured as a member of a cluster, it will be necessary to restore the missing configuration data that is necessary for the Cluster Service to identify that it is a member of a cluster. Perform a System State Restore of this machine in order to restore the configuration data.

and 7024:

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Service Control Manager
    Date:          6/19/2015 7:16:17 PM
    Event ID:      7024
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Description:
    The Cluster Service service terminated with the following service-specific error: 
    The system cannot find the file specified.

i would have tried the system state restore but there is no system state backup for this particular server.

how does one recover a cluster member then?

Friday, June 19, 2015 4:32 PM

All replies

• if this may help, in the GUI add roles wizard, failveover clustering is not showing up. i added it using powershell.
    Friday, June 19, 2015 5:09 PM
  • i reinstaller failover-cluster and management tools. i noticed in event viewer error 2051:

Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-FailoverClustering/Diagnostic
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-FailoverClustering
    Date:          6/19/2015 7:47:33 PM
    Event ID:      2051
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      
    User:          SYSTEM
    Description:
    [CS] Service CreateNodeThread Failed, (2)' because of 'Open parameters key failed.'

Friday, June 19, 2015 5:34 PM
  • Hi,

It could be caused by a corruption over the cluster.

If available, please test to re-join the nodes to see the result.

Ran the command in the Powershell:

Clear-ClusterNode <nodename> -Force

Rebooted the server

Uninstall the failover cluster feature and reboot the server

Reinstall failover cluster feature

Try to join the node again

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Daiv3r Friday, June 2, 2017 9:36 AM
    Monday, June 22, 2015 3:21 AM
  • hi,

did clear clusternode on mb01, rebooted mb01, reinstalled cluster feature, rebooted, then joined the node. same.

so what i did i evicted the node and rejoined the cluster. it was able to join the cluster but the clustered (not shared) disks (on mb02) became offline. took me sometime to fix mb02 because i can't get the disk to be online. what i did is remove the disks from the "Disks" portion of the cluster, make the disks online from Windows disk management, and after that i was able to bring up my Exchange with the database disks online.

current situation now is only mb02 is online. mb01 (the one that i reformatted) is online but not joined to Exchange DAG. all clustering are off.

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 9:27 AM
  • The above helped
    Tuesday, March 26, 2019 3:12 AM