How to search exactly and not fuzzy in Exchange Server 2019 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody,

A customer has switched from Exchange 2013 over 2016 to 2019. He uses Office 2019 on a Windows Server 2019 terminal server. When he searches Outlook just using the search box for (example) "a20-0648" (tested with and without quotation marks), search finds items which do not contain this text, but, for example A20-0598. The numbers are offer numbers and he must find mails exactly as typed. This worked up to Exchange 2016, but Exchange 2019 with its new search engine seems to be a bit too tolerant here. How can we search exactly in Exchange 2019?

Side node: Using the extended search feature of Outlook finds things correctly. Just the search text box does not work as expected.

Best Regards, Stefan Falk

Wednesday, May 13, 2020 9:03 AM

Answers

• Hi Stefan ,

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry that I have not found any useful methods to tell Outlook to search exactly in its simple search textbox so far. As a workaround, it is suggested to search in the webmail or with the Advanced Find tool.

Besides, as mentioned before, this issue may be related to the Outlook version. Please keep an eye on the announcement or update from Microsoft. Thanks for your patience and hope this issue can be resolved soon.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 26, 2020 6:44 AM

All replies

• Hi Stefan Falk,

Actually Exchange is not involved in the searching engine of Outlook, if the items disappear in mailbox I would consider it as an Exchange issue. So I'll move your thread to the dedicated forum for Outlook client.

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.

Thanks for your understanding and hope your question will be resolved soon.

Regards,

Eric Yin

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 14, 2020 6:34 AM
  • Hi Stefan ,

What's the version of your Outlook? (File > Office Account > About Outlook). Please make sure you have upgraded your Outlook to the latest version.

>> This worked up to Exchange 2016, but Exchange 2019 with its new search engine seems to be a bit too tolerant here.
    Are you using the same Outlook client to test with exchange 2016 and 2019 environments?
    Are you using cache exchange mode in Outlook? If so, please try to turn of the cache mode and search with online mode to see if the issue has any difference.

In order to conduct further researches on your case, please try the following suggestions and see if your issue has any difference:

1. Outlook search index issues may cause issues like this. It is suggested to rebuild the Outlook Search index via File > Options > Search > Indexing Options > Select Microsoft Outlook and choose Advanced > Rebulid and see if there is any difference.
    2. There could be some add-ins in your Outlook client that cause this issue, so it is suggested to start your Outlook in safe mode (Press Win + R, type “outlook /safe”, press Enter.) and see if the issue continues.
    3. Corrupted profile can lead this issue, so please try creating and using a new Outlook profile via Control Panel > Mail > Show profile and see if there is any difference.

Besides, compared with the search text box, the extended search is indeed a more accurate search method. It is suggested to use the extended search as a workaround.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Thursday, May 14, 2020 10:15 AM
  • Hello Jeff,

Thank you for your posting.

• Outlook is Outlook 2019, should be fully patched, but I'll check.
    • Using Exchange 2016 was with the very same Outlook version (we just finished migrating to 2019).
    • We do not used cached mode, as Outlook does not use this on terminal servers by default, and we did not turn it on.
    • We do not use the local Windows Search engine, because that is not active on terminal servers (and we should not activate it because the CPUs of the terminal server would be busy because every user would index the same documents on his own).
    • So, in conclusion, we use Exchange-based search as far as I can tell.
    • There is no third-party add-in in Outlook.
    • The MAPI profiles just got freshly created.

Using extended search is a workaround, but the customer nevertheless asks if he could not search as it was possible before. Can we configure Outlook/Exchange search so that it searches more strictly?

Thursday, May 14, 2020 12:07 PM
  • Hello Jeff,

Outlook 2019 is build 2019 MSO (16.0.10358.20061) 32-bit

Monday, May 18, 2020 9:10 AM
  • Hi Stefan ,

Thanks for your reply.

As I know, from the perspective of Outlook client, we have only the search text box and extended search two search methods and I have not found any options in Outlook which may influence searches under Online mode.

>> In conclusion, we use Exchange-based search as far as I can tell.
    To compare with your search under online mode, it is suggested to log in to the webmail and see if the search results has any difference. If you can get correct results on the webmail, this could be another workaround for you at present.

Besides, based on your description and tests, this issue may be caused by the Outlook or Exchange version. Please keep an eye on the announcement or update from Microsoft. Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Tuesday, May 19, 2020 9:39 AM
  • Hello Jeff,

Thanks for investigating this. I'll have the custeomer check out how OWA behaves and return here.

Thursday, May 21, 2020 9:12 AM
  • Hi Stefan ,

Ok, if you have any update, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Friday, May 22, 2020 7:03 AM
  • Hello Jeff,

The customer tested: Search in OWA is fine and not fuzzy. Can we tell Outlook to search exactly in its simple search textbox?

Saturday, May 23, 2020 8:22 PM
  • Hi Stefan ,

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry that I have not found any useful methods to tell Outlook to search exactly in its simple search textbox so far. As a workaround, it is suggested to search in the webmail or with the Advanced Find tool.

Besides, as mentioned before, this issue may be related to the Outlook version. Please keep an eye on the announcement or update from Microsoft. Thanks for your patience and hope this issue can be resolved soon.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Tuesday, May 26, 2020 6:44 AM
  • Hello Jeff,

Thanks for investigating. I will tell the customer as you wrote.

Tuesday, May 26, 2020 8:32 AM