none
Scheduled Windows Update with PPPoE-Connections and Personal Firewall RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody,

with my Windows Stedy State installation scheduled Windows Updates do not work.

The Log says:

[...]
    2008-09-29 19:02:10:734 1728 90c Misc WARNING: Send failed with hr = 80072ee7.
    2008-09-29 19:02:10:734 1728 90c Misc WARNING: SendRequest failed with hr = 80072ee7. Proxy List used: <(null)> Bypass List used : <(null)> Auth Schemes used : <>
    2008-09-29 19:02:10:734 1728 90c Misc WARNING: WinHttp: SendRequestUsingProxy failed for <http://download.windowsupdate.com/v8/windowsupdate/redir/muv3wuredir.cab>. error 0x8024402c
    [...]

I'm using a PPPoE-connection (with saved password) to access the internet and have Sunbelt Personal Firewall installed.

a) Does SteadyState automatically activate the PPPoE-connection for scheduled Windows Updates?

b) Which firewall rules do I have to configure in order to let connections bypass the firewall that are necessary for the update?

c) Is there anything else I have to configure?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards
    Sina
    Monday, September 29, 2008 8:39 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Sina, after checking the log file, this issue is a general Windows Update issue and the error 80072ee7 is usually caused by not resolved Internet/WinHTTP name. This can be caused by several factors such as firewall, proxy and other Internet access related issue. As a result, I consider the issue is related to Windows Update instead of Windows SteadyState. SteadyState only provides UI to centralize updates for Windows and virus definition. To answer your questions:

a.       Windows SteadyState itself does not automatically activate PPPoE connection.

b.      If you are using third party firewall, we may need to disable firewall to troubleshoot Windows Update related issue. FYI, Windows Update requires both HTTP and HTTPS connections, that is port 80 and 443.

c.       For further Windows Update related troubleshooting, I recommend you contact with our Windows Update support service via the following link:

https://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?rdpath=1&gprid=6527

Hope this helps!

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 4:03 AM