none
Recovery Point timestamps RRS feed

• Question

• SP1 and UR1
    Backup of desktop, using "Disconnected Client" (what a term !).
    Seems like the timestamps for recovery points are a bit "wild", sometimes approx. 1 hour (may vary several decades of minutes) ahead of expected, sometimes even 2.
    What should be expected ?

Thursday, January 31, 2013 9:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Disconnected client means it's a mobile machine and may be disconnected and still make recovery points. Since the client initiates all synchronizations when connected, the recovery points on the dpm server will be the time of the last successful synchronization before the scheduled recovery point on the DPM server. This is why recovery point times vary from client to client in the same protection group.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, February 2, 2013 2:04 AM
  • Thanks
    I didn't know that a disconnected client initiates synchs by it self even if connected.
    Further, I didn't know that the client may be disconnected and still make recovery points,
    can you point at some article describing how this is working ?

Anyway, my client(s) have been connected all the time (they are desktops, not laptops), clocks are all synced by PDC, then I would expect that recovery times shown are according to the schedule set up at DPM server for the actual protection groups.
    When I get time, I will monitor thus synch manually to try to figure out what really happens.

Should perhaps desktops and devices which are not mobile in nature be protected as (file)servers and not clients ?

Sunday, February 3, 2013 9:22 AM