Question on User Profiles RRS feed

• Question

• We are planning on creating several site collections for different departments (sales, it, hr, etc)

is there a way wherein if the user accesses his profile, it will be created under the department where he belongs?

for example, Sales Manager1 is under sales department, and then when he access his my site, his user profile will be under sales

(i.e: http://site.com/departments/sales)?

----------------------- Sharepoint Newbie

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 1:48 AM

Answers

• Every Instance of User Profile Service application has a property for "Personal Site Location"

So if you multiple web applications for different departments, then you can create separate instances of user profile service application for each department and set the personal site location to the managed path for that web application.

For a single instance of user profile ... I don' think that there is a way to use different managed paths for MySite depending on a parameter like department.

val it: unit=()

• Marked as answer by tracycai Monday, August 19, 2013 1:23 AM
    Wednesday, August 14, 2013 2:18 AM
  • Hi,

A user's personal site is basically a site collection. It cannot be a sub-site. The best practice is to create a separate web application and enable self-site creation there so that users' personal site gets created there. So, your scenario is not possible.

Narahari

******If a post answers/helps your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and/or "Vote as Helpful*******

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 2:25 AM

All replies

• Every Instance of User Profile Service application has a property for "Personal Site Location"

So if you multiple web applications for different departments, then you can create separate instances of user profile service application for each department and set the personal site location to the managed path for that web application.

For a single instance of user profile ... I don' think that there is a way to use different managed paths for MySite depending on a parameter like department.

val it: unit=()

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 2:18 AM
  • Hi,

A user's personal site is basically a site collection. It cannot be a sub-site. The best practice is to create a separate web application and enable self-site creation there so that users' personal site gets created there. So, your scenario is not possible.

Narahari

******If a post answers/helps your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and/or "Vote as Helpful*******

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 2:25 AM