Exchange 2016 external mail relay issue. RRS feed

• Question

• Evening all.

Hoping someone can possibly help me as ive been at this for a while now and the project deadline is looming....

I'm trying to set up a relay. Ive done this type of thing before but with exchange 2010. Ill create the scenario to help you all understand....

We have a recruitment database which is currently housed within our network. This is being outsourced to the company that actually make the software (they offer a hosted solution) so, to get everything in place I took a snapshot of the database, sent it to the hosted site for them to install/restore. This all went well, no problems there. On our network we run an exchange 2016 hybrid server setup with 365 cloud access and a local (uk based) on premise server. I have created a receive connector and added their (the hosted site) ip range into the scoping. I added an extra ip from my home server so I could use a simple smtp diagnostic test tool to get the connectivity sorted out. Eventually I got there and sent a test mail from my home server, through the company exchange server and out to a gmail.com account. Contacted the dev at the hosted site to let him know it was all sorted and he (using a different tool) - he was using the Microsoft smtp diag tool and it would not authenticate. Ive have since then used the same tool as him and this, is not working. I have also tried anonymous relay but with no luck. I either get an authentication failure or, a message from the tool "

One error from the ms tool is: EIdSMTPReplyError Need rcpt command.

One from my diag tool is:

504 5.7.4 Unrecognized authentication type
    Forcing disconnection from SMTP server.
    QUIT
    Disconnected.
    221 2.0.0 Service closing transmission channel

Error: SMTP protocol error. 504 5.7.4 Unrecognized authentication type.
    Failed to send message

As I say I did have it working using the second tool but I'm basing my fault finding on the ms tool.

Would really appreciate any help anyone can give.

Thanks very much to anyone that chips in.

Andy

Thursday, November 23, 2017 6:45 PM

All replies

• Just to say ive got this working but if anyone has the same problem please feel free to post here and ill try to help as best as I can...
    • Proposed as answer by Alex Sun MS Friday, November 24, 2017 7:45 AM
    Thursday, November 23, 2017 8:10 PM
  • Hi Andy,

Thanks for the update. Could you please share your solution to the issue and mark it as an answer for others find the useful information more easily?

Regards,

Alex

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 24, 2017 7:45 AM