Task Sequence - Install Software Based on Security Group Membership RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys, I am using Active Directory security group membership to deploy most of my applications. What I would like to happen during the OS task sequence deployment is the following:

1. Suck down and install base image,

2. Install standard software (this software goes to all machine, Office, communicator, adobe etc)

3. Install computer specific software based on security group membership

My question is, is there a way to have a task sequence step which will install all software which is advertised to the computer during the operating system install? Just so that when a user is presented with a logon screen they have all required software ready to go so they dont have to wait for the machine to do a "Machine Policy Evaluation and Updates Cycle" action before installing mandatory software. This will make the build process far less complicated and easier for users

Thanks

Nick

Sunday, May 22, 2011 9:02 PM

Answers

• Not using built in functionality. You could possibly script this and using the multiple software install feature of the Install Software task though.

ConfigMgr 2012 should provide a solution for this called pre-deployment.

Jason | http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/jsandys | Twitter @JasonSandys
    • Marked as answer by nickm34 Monday, May 23, 2011 1:22 AM
    Monday, May 23, 2011 12:56 AM

All replies

• Not using built in functionality. You could possibly script this and using the multiple software install feature of the Install Software task though.

ConfigMgr 2012 should provide a solution for this called pre-deployment.

Jason | http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/jsandys | Twitter @JasonSandys
    • Marked as answer by nickm34 Monday, May 23, 2011 1:22 AM
    Monday, May 23, 2011 12:56 AM
  • Thought so, that's fine. We will just have to go with pushing software through RAP or mandatory assignments. This would be an awesome feature to have though.

Thanks

Nick

Monday, May 23, 2011 1:22 AM
  • We have something which I think is similar to what you describe; the collections are based on AD system groups and each collection is assigned a collection variable (InstallFinanceApp), and then where an application should be only be installed on machines in a particular AD group the task sequence Install Software step has a condition which queries the value of that variable (e.g InstallFinanceApp=TRUE).

For rebuilds this works fine but for bare-metal installs there is a bit of upfront work to modify group memberships and make sure collections are populated before running the Task Sequence. We don’t have all applications installed this as way as it becomes difficult to manage after a certain number and also you may encounter other issues (e.g. those described in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2516517 ) but it is worth considering where an application is so important that the user cannot be productive without it.

Monday, May 23, 2011 10:47 AM