Transferring a whole SharePoint Site to another Site RRS feed

• Question

• Somebody in my organization created a SharePoint site, with templates to keep record of issues. Each issue has section to enter free text (comments section) also it allows to upload attachements per record such as pdf, word and excel docs.

We are migrating that site to a new SharePoint site, we were able to export some of the data and recreate the templates. however the attached filed and the comments did not transfer.

Anyone would be able to help? Thank you!

Thursday, June 23, 2011 9:16 PM

Answers

• Have you done a site collection backup/restore ? It will move everything as-is if size of the site collection is less than 15GB.

If the issues are maintained as part of a sharepoint list or library use gary lapointe's gl-exportlist  and gl-importlist to move the list. Make sure to include dependents and other options as desired.

If this does not work, then custom code can be written to perform this transfer assuming source and destination lists are in the same SharePoint farm.

Here to help.
    Friday, June 24, 2011 2:16 AM
  • Hi,

I think you have used STSADM export/import ? This will show the exact behaviour as described by you above.

However you can try out STSADM backup/restore to copy to new location but it will create items with same guids andcan lead to errors afterwards.

If you have created the site within the same site collection I suggest you to try this out with site manager.

I hope this will help.

Thanks,

Rahul Rashu

Friday, June 24, 2011 9:47 AM

All replies

• Have you done a site collection backup/restore ? It will move everything as-is if size of the site collection is less than 15GB.

If the issues are maintained as part of a sharepoint list or library use gary lapointe's gl-exportlist  and gl-importlist to move the list. Make sure to include dependents and other options as desired.

If this does not work, then custom code can be written to perform this transfer assuming source and destination lists are in the same SharePoint farm.

Here to help.
    Friday, June 24, 2011 2:16 AM
  • > We are migrating that site to a new SharePoint site

Which version of SharePoint to which version of SharePoint?

(meaning especially which year's version)

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Friday, June 24, 2011 7:24 AM
  • Hi,

I think you have used STSADM export/import ? This will show the exact behaviour as described by you above.

However you can try out STSADM backup/restore to copy to new location but it will create items with same guids andcan lead to errors afterwards.

If you have created the site within the same site collection I suggest you to try this out with site manager.

I hope this will help.

Thanks,

Rahul Rashu

Friday, June 24, 2011 9:47 AM