none
Hyper-V VM volume/LUN isolation or single volume/LUN RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys, I'm doing a new hyper-v setup, and have an external HPE MSA 2052 SAN storage. When provisioning storage for the VMs,  which is the recommended way to host my VMs (VHDs and Config files), in a single large LUN/volume, or create separate LUNs/volumes for each VM?

Is  there any disadvantages of either options?

Saturday, November 16, 2019 4:23 PM

All replies

• It depends how many VM's are you going to host and the size of the VM's. Hosting a large VM (1-2 TB of size) in a single LUN is not a bad idea, but creating separate LUN for each smaller VM's is not very effective. So I would say somewhere in the middle is the right way to go. 

Microsoft Certified Professional

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Sunday, November 17, 2019 3:17 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in our forum!

You can use one big LUN for all the VMs, you can also put different VMs in different LUN. It depends on the purpose of your virtual machine.

If you need to run SQL or Exchange database on your VM, it is wise to configure a large capacity Lun for VM. If only some simple applications are running on VM, it is better to configure a Lun for each virtual machine, so that the virtual opportunity has better IO performance.

Hope this can help you.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact

Monday, November 18, 2019 2:28 AM
  • As here already mentioned, I can be hard to manage separate LUNs for >10 VMs. If  some isolation for particular VM is required, you can mix both aproaches.
    • Proposed as answer by Tim CerlingMVP Tuesday, November 19, 2019 1:59 PM
    Monday, November 18, 2019 4:23 PM
  • Hi,

I am writing here to confirm current situation.

If the above suggestion are helpful to you, please be kind enough to "mark it as an answer" for helping more people.

Regards,
    Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 8:27 AM