Storage Spaces Rebalancing Workaround? RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently running Windows Server 2012 Essentials, with 15TB and using Storage Spaces. I've recently added drives so I need to rebalance my storage. I know in Windows Server 2016 the Rebalancing command has been added, so my here's my questions in two different possible scenarios:

1. Would it be possible to download a Technical Preview of WS2016, run the rebalancing command on storage spaces, then downgrade back to my licensed version of WS2012 and have finally have my storage balanced? 

2. Or better yet, could I potentially run the technical preview of WS2016 in a VM on my server, temporarily mount the drives to the VM and then perform the rebalancing command, then remount them to the my original OS? 

Any ideas would be very helpful, I unfortunately do not have 15TB of storage laying around for me to temporarily transfer the data to and then transfer it back to the WS2012 which would also rebalance them. 

Friday, November 6, 2015 2:50 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Logically both will work.

Storage Pool could be moved to another system directly and it will still be recognized. So if you move it (or upgrade your system) to another system (Windows 2016), finished the rebalance and move it back, it will still be recognized.

However upgrade your system and downgrade sounds not a good idea (compare with move Storage Pool to another Windows 2016 system or mount to a VM) as rarely an upgrade/downgrade may cause an unknown issue.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 9, 2015 4:52 PM