Sharing entire cluster volume RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I am trying to share the entire cluster volume in one shot instead of individually creating a share for each subfolder under the volume, is this possible?

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 4:31 PM

All replies

• Shares are typically done on folder level. If it is showing as a drive letter you can share the entire drive.  

I would encourage you to share from the folder level, even if all you are doing is moving the data into a single folder.  I always encourage people to think about what is in the folder and divide it up by function.  Large file shares that cover multiple areas can become problematic later.

Also, if you are simply looking for high availability file shares, consider using DFS.

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 5:05 PM
  • Hi, 

I would agree with you, but this instance I am simply making a folder that's being shared from an existing file cluster a file cluster by itself to split the load.

For example... \\FileServer\Apps into \\Apps\

I tried sharing the entire volume. however, nothing shows up when I navigate to \\APPS\

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 5:22 PM
  • You are trying to create a share on another share?  To my knowledge, that is not supported.

. : | : . : | : . tim

• Proposed as answer by Leo Han Friday, January 6, 2017 2:47 AM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2016 9:48 PM
  • No, I am just trying to share an entire volume in cluster without me creating a share for and every subfolder individually

Cluster Role: General File Server

Storage: Volume E

Within Volume E, there are folders such as
    E:\A
    E:\B
    E:\C
    E:\D
    E:\...

Now the normal way is to create a file share, which becomes E:\Shares\A, E:\Shares\B etc. But that takes too long because I have to create each share individually. I just want to share an entire E drive. 

• Edited by Whanksta Tuesday, December 20, 2016 9:56 PM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2016 9:54 PM
  • On the properties of the E: drive (in my computer), there should be a sharing tab.  That will allow you to share the folder similar to \\fileserver\sharename\A\\fileserver\sharename\B, \\fileserver\sharename\C, etc.

Let me know if that doesn't work.

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 10:22 PM
  • That only works for a single file server sharing, but this is a cluster. 
    Wednesday, December 21, 2016 5:08 PM
  • What happens if you go to the server where the share is hosted and righ tclick the drive goto properties, then share, and advanced sharing, can you add a additional share that way, and will if move when drive moves between host?
    • Proposed as answer by Leo Han Friday, January 6, 2017 2:47 AM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2016 6:27 PM
  • I have not tried this, but you may consider defining a mount point to the drive you want to share.  Create the mount point on another shared cluster disk and use that as the target for the file share.  Then put both the file disk into the same resource group just created for the share.

Never tried it with file shares, but it has worked for SQL for quite some time.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 8:14 PM
  • Hi,

Are there any updates on the issue?

You could mark the reply as answer if it is helpful.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 6, 2017 2:47 AM