Confirm idea. RRS feed

• Question

• I think this is a program I have been looking for. I am looking to put my system on C drive then make a user account for myself on D drive. whear I can install my games and updates and programs and downloads with out affecting my Cdrive.
    I think I read this . But I am not sure. I need something like this because I crash my  xp every month are so. (brain injury)
    I forget what I installed then I install something that conflicts and boom back to square 1. I have reinstalled  xp somany times that microsoft wont actavate it. My longest install is 5months in the years I have had xp. I know this because it just crashed 3 weeks ago. so my question is can I do this? and to protect my computer from myself what settings would i use.

Thanks for any help.
    Thursday, November 29, 2007 7:00 PM

Answers

• Hi Eddie,

Thank you for posting here!

According to your situation, I believe SteadyState is a good choice to protect the system from crashing. You can install SteadyState and make the following configurations:

1. Create a new profile to drive D.

2. Configure the user account as No Restrictions, so you can use it without restriction.

Note: As SteadyState will create limited user account by default, you can change the account type from Control Panel.

3. Install all the needed programs and updates. Test with your user account.

Note: Not all programs can be installed to drive D. This is based on the design of the software. All Windows Updates have to be installed to drive C.

4. Enable Windows Disk Protection (WDP) and configure it to "Remove all changes at Restart"

Note: Please save your important files to other partitions, as all changes on drive C will be remove at restart. If you would like to install some software and save them. You can change WDP mode to "Retain all changes permanently" to save changes.

Based on my experience, I also included some other options:

Option 1: System Restore

----------------------

When issue occurs, you can restore the system to the previous status. You can refer to the following article for more information:

Restore the Operating System to a Previous State in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;306084

Option 2: Backup the system with some third party program such as Ghost:

----------------------

This kind of software can back up the system drive as an image, which can be restored when the system crashes. I have included a link for your reference:

Norton Ghost 12

http://www.symantec.com/norton/products/overview.jsp?pcid=br&pvid=ghost12

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Best Regards,

Friday, November 30, 2007 9:54 AM