none
How to Modify MDT TS for Computer Refresh Scenario RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am new to MDT and trying to understand the MDT TS steps. I integrated SCCM Current Branch v1511 with MDT 2013 Update2. I can successfully deploy MDT Client Task Sequence which re-formats the disk and install the OS from PXE.

Now, I am trying to create an Online Computer Refresh MDT TS. TS will capture user data while computer is online.

I don't want to format the disk, I will use hardlink method for usmt. When I create a Client Task Sequence, it creates a TS that has many steps in it (I dont know if I really need them) and TS also has partitioning and formatting steps in it. Should I remove those steps or it decides what to do by looking at the conditions? IfI need to remove some TS steps, can you please tell me which groups or steps should I remove to do a Online Computer Refresh Scenario.

Thanks a lot.

Yavuz Selim Atmaca

Thursday, April 28, 2016 10:47 AM

Answers

• You shouldn't remove any steps from the TS.  When you launch a deployment inside of the OS versus PXE/WinPE boot, it will determine that you are inside of the OS and run the refresh scenario instead of new computer scenario. It's important you start it from inside the OS to trigger this logic.

Here's a sample guide I found digging around - https://fazarsusanto.wordpress.com/2013/10/03/system-center-2012-r2-configuration-manager-in-place-migration-windows-xp-to-windows-8-1/ , notice how it's being run from inside the OS and capturing user data.  Hope this helps you.

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 5:37 AM

All replies

• You shouldn't remove any steps from the TS.  When you launch a deployment inside of the OS versus PXE/WinPE boot, it will determine that you are inside of the OS and run the refresh scenario instead of new computer scenario. It's important you start it from inside the OS to trigger this logic.

Here's a sample guide I found digging around - https://fazarsusanto.wordpress.com/2013/10/03/system-center-2012-r2-configuration-manager-in-place-migration-windows-xp-to-windows-8-1/ , notice how it's being run from inside the OS and capturing user data.  Hope this helps you.

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 5:37 AM
  • Thanks for the answer MrBrooks. 

Yavuz Selim Atmaca

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 8:02 AM