FCS not deploying client automatically RRS feed

• Question

• here is a bit of history that will explain my issue:

in the beginning i has system center essentials installed.  I then installed FCS on its own server and voila - all my domain members suddenly had forefront installed - PERFECT.

In the middle: SCE server dies - i reinstall a new SCE server.  Now forefront isn't quite automatic anymore - i have to manually go in and 'approve' forefront updates - but then they deploy to all domain members - not perfect, but fine.

Right now: SCE dies again - this time i am giving up on SCE and just using WSUS.  updates are working fine and I think that clients that have forefront are getting definition updates - but the forefront client is not installing to new domain members.  How do i resolve this?  i am not certain how FCS got every client to install forefront in the first place, so i don't know how to fix it (i did redeploy the fcs policy - but no change).

If i have to, i will reinstall FCS, but i would think there is a better way to get things automatic again.  if i run setup, will it do a repair or something.

thanks

bj

Sunday, August 29, 2010 8:26 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi!

To setup WSUS to deliver def updates read this blog post: http://itbloggen.se/cs/blogs/blom/archive/2008/08/07/wsus-settings-to-get-forefront-client-security-to-rock.aspx

..to have WSUS deliver the client aswell you need to appróve the client package in WSUS under category "Updates". but first of all the client computer needas to apply the FCS GPO that you created and deployed to you computers. without the policy, the client won't install, even if it is approved in WSUS.

/Johan

MCSE, forefront spec | www.msforefront.com
    • Marked as answer by BJ_gunnery Tuesday, August 31, 2010 10:18 PM
    Monday, August 30, 2010 10:52 AM
  • thanks for the reply - i will read the article in a bit.  However, when i looked at forefront updates that were un-approved - there was nothing there.  What type of update is the Client (critical, security, service pack, etc)  maybe i am not downloading the correct stuff to begin with.

Monday, August 30, 2010 12:55 PM
  • i went through the article - it seems like i am doing everything right  - everything is approved that is forefront - but it is like the main client is not in wsus, only updates and definitions.  so everything works fine once the client is installed, but i can't seem to get wsus to install the client the first time.

thanks

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 12:53 AM
  • OK - a day later and no changes, but ForeFront is now installing.  kinda strange, but I'll take it.  thanks for article and suggestions.

bj

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 10:17 PM
  • WSUS needs to syncronize with its upstream server of either Microsoft updates or another server after it is approved.  Once the approval and syncronization is in effect, then it will start to deploy to the clients automatically.

If you are inpatient, you can deploy it manually by using the clientsetup.exe with the /MS /CG switches. 

MCP, MCTS, MCSA,MCSE
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 1:20 PM
  • Glad i could help

/Johan

MCSE, forefront spec | www.msforefront.com
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 2:05 PM