Exchange 2016 Edge Topology RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm working through the topology for our new Exchange environment running on 2016.  We currently have Exchange 2010 CAS with Exchange 2013 hybrid servers running the latest service packs and rollups so from a co-existence we are in a decent place, good start.  We front our current environment with TMG still (shock) but need to migrate this to Netscaler and then the Edge in a DMZ but have been struggling to find any details around sizing.

Any ideas on where I can go to find out detail? The MS sizing tool only deals with the mailbox role (incorporating CAS) and whilst one of the tabs does give me DB size for transport it does not detail the number of servers we would need to manage the load for mail routing from the internet to our on premise environment.  We've got around 15k mailboxes and a similar number of users and average around 90 messages per mailbox sent/received (combined) per day and around 250-325KB average size.

Immediate thoughts are to go with 4 Edge servers split between our data centres as this gives us a resilient topology in each datacenter, configuring the primary edge real servers in one DC and the backup real servers in the other DC.  But going with that I would need to be confident that in the event of patching I could temporarily have one server managing routing for the whole environment unless there was a failure.  Alternative would be to span Edge across data centres and accept that I would have East/West traffic across the links from/to Edge to/from load balanced CAS.

Was thinking 2 vCPU with 8GB RAM running 2012r2 (seeing as there is known issues with Server 2016 and Edge)

Don't want server sprawl and every additional server is additional licensing so not free even though I would virtualise that role rather than go physical.

Be interested to hear if anyone has any thoughts/comments on the above and if there are any links to maybe 2013 sizing which would help me.

Cheers, Mak.

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 6:46 PM

All replies