Possible with App-V? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We have started a migration to Windows 7 from Windows XP.

With Windows XP, we had a Novell client on the machines. Windows 7 we don't.

However, we have some legacy applicaiton (soon to be phased out) which have a novell backend. Obviously these do not work on Windows 7 as there is no Novell Client.

Is this comething that could be accomplished with App-V?

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 1:46 PM

Answers

• The Novell client has some low-level stuff (e.g. authentication handlers, boot time services) that probably won't make it a good candidate for virtualization; however there's no reason you couldn't give it a test.

As Znack points out - if the Novell client does not support Windows 7, App-V won't make the Novell client compatible with Windows 7. Application virtualization is not an application-to-OS compatibility solution.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 5:59 PM

All replies

• Hello,

See this article;

http://blog.stealthpuppy.com/virtualisation/app-v-faq-7-is-app-v-an-application-compatibility-solution/

In general - you can always try the product

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 2:00 PM
  • Thats not quite what I'm looking for... Its not compatibility, as I know that without the Novell Client the application will not be able to get to its backend

To simplify, I suppose what I'm asking is;

If I launch Application A which is an App-V app, will that in turn launch Application B which is the Novell Client?!?

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 2:09 PM
  • You could try to accomplish that by using DSC if possible or a pre-script to start B on launch of A.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939085

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 2:49 PM
  • The Novell client has some low-level stuff (e.g. authentication handlers, boot time services) that probably won't make it a good candidate for virtualization; however there's no reason you couldn't give it a test.

As Znack points out - if the Novell client does not support Windows 7, App-V won't make the Novell client compatible with Windows 7. Application virtualization is not an application-to-OS compatibility solution.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 5:59 PM