Windows Server 2008 Max Powershell and WMF Versions RRS feed

• Question

• To who can help me?

I'm new to the wold of Powershell, so please bare with me. I'm wondering what is the max Poweshell version as welll as the WMF for my computer. If I remember, I started off with Powershell version 2.0, and I went to 3.0 to get the help files. Later on, I increased the WMF to 4.5 for other functionality, but it seems that I'm having some update issues that were caused by it.

When I look at my Add or Remove Programs, I can see WMF 3.5 SP1 and 4.5.2. I've did some research and if correct, Windows Server 2008 can do WMF 4.0. Being that the Powershell Version doesn't change from 3.0, maybe that's the max?

As stated:

I'm just wondering what the max Powershell version is for Windows Server 2008? I feel it's 3.0.

What is the max version of WMF that Windows server 2008 can handle?

Any help with greatly be appreciated

Sunday, December 2, 2018 5:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• There are no such WMF versions.  WMF is 2,3,4,5,5.1 and you are calling Net Framework versions WMF.

The latest version of WMF is 5.1.  It will run on all current versions of Windows.

Windows 2008 is not longer a supported or current OS.  You should no be using it.  Only WS2008r2 and later are supported systems.

The last version of WMF released that listed WS2008 as supported was WMF 3.

here is the supported list for WMF 4: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40855

Currently no Microsoft products are supported on WS2008 and there should be no updates released for WS2008.  Some security patches will be available but no testing of WS2008 for security or bugs will be done after a system is out of support.

Also be aware that there are no 32 bit server OSs anymore.  WS2008r2 requires 64 bits as do all newer and future server OSs.

\_(ツ)_/

• Proposed as answer by BOfH-666 Sunday, December 2, 2018 7:09 PM
    Sunday, December 2, 2018 6:19 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. I will mark this as answered shortly. I do have a 64 bit version. If I get you correctly, there is a r2 version which is different from SP2?

Well, I've played with 2008 for long enough. In the near future, I will bite the bullet and buy Windows Server 2016.

Thanks for the clarification.

Sunday, December 2, 2018 11:46 PM
  • PowerShell 6 is not WMF. It cannot do what WMF can do as it is not a Windows platform but a cross OS platform that is still in development.  It will likely not work on WS2008 and it will not execute most Windows PowerShell code.

\_(ツ)_/

Monday, December 3, 2018 2:26 AM
  • Thanks all.
    Thursday, December 6, 2018 1:45 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Lee

Just do it.

Thursday, December 6, 2018 2:38 AM
  • Thanks for the advice. I have a trial version on WIN 2012 that I'm starting to use a little bit; however, I was just using 2008 to practice on and gain some knowledge. It's not being used in a live environment.

Regards,

Saturday, December 8, 2018 11:01 PM
  • BOfH_666, you are correct. The last version of WMF released that listed WS2008 as supported was WMF 3; however, according to the article from Jrv, "Windows PowerShell 3.0 requires the full installation of Microsoft .NET Framework 4. Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 include Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 by default, which fulfills this requirement."

When I tried to install WMF 3, I kept getting an error message stating this update doesn't apply to your system. Afterwards, Windows Update, gave me the options to install WFM 3.51 SP1 AND 4.52. If I understand the article correctly, 4.5 fulfills the requirements for PowerShell 3.0, so it seems that for Windows Server 2008 SP2, Powershell3.0 and .NET Framework 4.5 are the highest/compatible versions with my OS version.

I can probably install 5.1, but who knows what kind of compatibility issues I might run into.

Again, I'm only doing this to practice and gain knowledge. It's not a live network.

Saturday, December 8, 2018 11:43 PM
  • Yes, the issue is resolved; however, I have one minor question. I noticed that PowerShell 5.0 and 5.1 are supported on Windows Server 2008 with SP1. Is there a way to downgrade to SP1, or am I stuck with SP2? If so, how?

I did some research, and I think that answer is no: " After a Service Pack is installed, it leaves a \Windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$ folder behind. This allows you to roll back to the previous service pack.  Since a previous service pack never existed on this system, there is nothing to roll back to!!"

I will mark as answered after this. Thanks for the help so far.

Saturday, December 8, 2018 11:51 PM
  • I still have one WS2008r2 server and I run WMF 5.1 with no issue.

Any version of Windows post Vista can run WMF 5.1.  WS2008 and earlier are in no-mans land.

WS2008r2 is basically Windows 7 and come with WMF/PS 2 and is fully upgradeable.

For instructions see: https://www.rootusers.com/install-powershell-5-windows-server-2008-r2/

\_(ツ)_/

Sunday, December 9, 2018 12:46 AM
  • Yes, the issue is resolved; however, I have one minor question. I noticed that PowerShell 5.0 and 5.1 are supported on Windows Server 2008 with SP1. Is there a way to downgrade to SP1, or am I stuck with SP2? If so, how?

I did some research, and I think that answer is no: " After a Service Pack is installed, it leaves a \Windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$ folder behind. This allows you to roll back to the previous service pack.  Since a previous service pack never existed on this system, there is nothing to roll back to!!"

I will mark as answered after this. Thanks for the help so far.

Yes. It can be installed on 2008 if you install the prerequisites and have no system issues.  Note that WS2008 is not longer a supported product and the future of anything running on it is in doubt.

SP2 is all you need for a start.  You do not ever have to downgrade an SP.  Prerequisites are minimums and not absolutes.

\_(ツ)_/

• Marked as answer by jrv Sunday, December 9, 2018 5:40 PM
    Sunday, December 9, 2018 12:49 AM
  • Thanks, I will leave this OS as it is. I have enough issues already. You have resolved my issue. I will go ahead and mark as answered.

Regards,

• Marked as answer by WoodStarz Sunday, December 9, 2018 2:29 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by jrv Sunday, December 9, 2018 5:39 PM
    Sunday, December 9, 2018 2:29 PM